What am I doing wrong? - Xskn eXo2 Review

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SFNE Freak

Mmm...videos
Website
sfne.com
Yesterday I was surprised to visit the DHL.com tracking page and see that my Xskn eXo2 Sky Dance had been delivered. Unfortunately, being at my mom's house, I couldn't use it right away. However, I bargained with my mom to go pick it up the next day (today).

When I got there a plethora of items were on my desk including an iSkin eXo Frogger that I won on eBay and my ATM card. I got back to my mom's house, opened up the DHL package and marvelled at how sexy the blue silicone was.

I continued to mold and mush the eXo2 onto my iPod 10GB 3G until it had a satisfactory fit. Eager to test its usabily I push the play button. Nothing happens. I stare blankly. Maybe the hold switch is on? I look at the top. Nope, no orange strip. Maybe the play buttons is broken. So, I push the menu button. Still nothing.

I frantically (well, not really) cycled through all the buttons trying to get my 'Pod to awaken. Finally, I push the select button (middle of scroll wheel) and it glows its beautiful glow.

Am I doing something wrong? Why don't the buttons respond? To put it simply, I believe the silicone over the buttons on my eXo2 is too thick! They work once in every ~15-25 pushes. Now, the scroll wheel and select button work wonderfully, but unfortunately, without the menu button, the iPod is virtually useless.

I hope Lajo can either explain what I'm doing wrong or fix the problem if there is a flaw in the product because this thing is a marvel to look at. Unfrotunately, my review can't be completed until I find a solution to this problem. I will not have pictures until Monday because my digital camera is at home (which I don't return to until Sunday night) and I have much homework to do Sunda night.

breakaway1029

My Xskn Exo2 works fine, and I have no problems pressing any of the buttons. Have you tried the buttons without the case on? Also, perform a reset to see if that fixes the problems. Also, clean the buttons on the iPod using a Q-tip, to try to free all the dirt from the space between the button and the front of the iPod. Finally, align the case over the buttons, and make sure that there is no air bubbles between the exo2 and the iPod, by pressing with a fair ammount of force where the buttons are supposed to be. If the case is not aligned properly, the buttons won't work. Hope this helps.

Bugs

Actually I have exactly the same problem with mine SFNE, I tried it with the same thing happening as soon as I got it. So I then thouroughly cleaned both the xSkn and the iPod (which works perfectly without the case and in my older exo)... but I just couldn't get the 4 buttons to work properly.

I'm actually thinking that maybe some people's fingers just work better on the buttons than others (like you and me). I love the case but I had to go back to my regular exo. I plan to give the xSkn to a friend to try on his 3G to see if it works better for him than it did for me.

Come to think of it.. I never thought of having someone else try my own iPod and xSkn combo... so maybe I'll try that first and then I'll know if it's just me or not.

Anyways, good luck. Hope you had a backup too :)

SFNE Freak

Mmm...videos
Website
sfne.com
breakaway1029 said:
My Xskn Exo2 works fine, and I have no problems pressing any of the buttons. Have you tried the buttons without the case on? Also, perform a reset to see if that fixes the problems. Also, clean the buttons on the iPod using a Q-tip, to try to free all the dirt from the space between the button and the front of the iPod. Finally, align the case over the buttons, and make sure that there is no air bubbles between the exo2 and the iPod, by pressing with a fair ammount of force where the buttons are supposed to be. If the case is not aligned properly, the buttons won't work. Hope this helps.
The buttons work fine and are ultra-sensitive without the case on and even work good with the eXo on. The buttons are very clean, I cleaned it before I put anything on it. One of the top priorities of mine was alignment. I made sure the edge of the button was aligned with the little ditch around the edges of the eXo2 button holes by pushing my fingernail down. I can feel that therer is no air between the eXo2 and iPod because when I pull it up it pops like its stuck on. I've been pressing with force the entire time. ;)

Bugs

same here. it's not dirtyness/cleanlyness or alignment problems for sure. it's either the case, or my lack of electrons in my fingers or something.

breakaway1029

Sorry to hear that the xskn exo2 isn't working for some people, it works for me. Have you tried pressing straight down on the buttons? Also, are you a lefty or a righty?

Bugs

righty (snowboarding goofy)... tried everything. different pressures, different fingers *shrug*

Lajo

Banned
Website
www.lajo.biz
I find that if you press with steady pressure the menu buttons should work fine. First get use to using your touch wheel with silicone on it then move on to the menu buttons. Press lightly then apply light constant pressure and see the result. Exo2 and Xskn2 came about as a result of my TPU zip cases. The covered controls for both the 2nd gen and 3rd gen iPod worked beautifully with TPU. I started experimenting with silicone cover controls and I found the 2nd gen iPod to be very responsive to touch and the 3rd gen to be a little less so. The only way for me to test it properly was to build the cases first and then to work with the thickness of the silicone covering the controls, a bit of a gamble because of the cost of molds. When I completed my first exo2 case and did my first test it worked beautifully and there was no need to make any adjustments. It is possible that some people may have more electric energy in their fingers and some less or you iPod has to be reset. Once good way it to have someone else try the control to see if it works differently for them before you reset. For sure exo2 is the ultimate way to protect your ipod you can now eat with you fingers and not worry about selecting your music while doing so. Keep me posted on your results.

Lajo

Banned
Website
www.lajo.biz
I have tested all day today here in China and no problems, I can use all of the functions. I have put on 20 of the different colored exo2 cases and no problems. You should have a friend of yours to test it to see if it has to do anything with the energy level in your fingers.

bennok

Website
them.ws
I'm really interested in hearing how this pans out because I'd really like to use this case if it is easier to press the buttons than with the original exo.

Maybe it's the finger being used? Have you guys tested fingers vs. thumbs?

torchedlh

i just received my xskin-3 and i have the exact same problem. some of the buttons work with a lot of force, however, i have yet to sucessfully get the forward button to work with this case on. i will clean my ipod and the case tomorrow, and post a full review with pictures.

Lajo

Banned
Website
www.lajo.biz
You have tried all your fingers and it looks like my exo2 is not going to work for you, please contact me at [email protected] and I will be happy to give you a refund, send me me order id so that I can track your order. If you cannot remember your order id give me the email you used to order it with, our system has many ways of tracking your order.