• Please note that signatures and avatars on iLounge are only available after reaching certain membership thresholds.

Signatures

In order to be able to have a signature, users must have been a member for 7 days and have accumulated 10 posts.

Avatars are reserved for only the most senior of iLounge forum members. Users will not be able to use an avatar until they have been a member for a minimum of one year, and accumulated 1,500 posts. This is considered the Veteran Lounger level of membership.

A note on post whoring...

We welcome and encourage our members to make valuable and useful contributions to the iLounge forums, and to have fun, socialize, and actively participate in discussions on the forums. However, as per the Forum Policy, we will not tolerate excessive and unnecessary posting. Posting inane and pointless messages solely to increase one's post count in the hopes of reaching a higher membership level will be dealt with by the forum staff. Unnecessary posts may be subject to removal, and persisting in this behaviour will result in post counts being reduced and any further action being taken as deemed necessary.

• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Way too many forums guys with not enough traffic

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

LarryJoe

I think there are way to many forums. Some get 2 or 3 posts a day. Do we really need all these categories?

Just my opinion. I have seen it happen time and time again. New product, increased activity, new forum software, lot's of categories-----> threads get lost, moved, or burried under some obscure categorie, no one sees it....and people stop posting.

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
Okay. I can agree with that. I don't know if Dennis and Tom do, but I myself have often wondered what distinguishes that category from "General." It may be a vestigal category from back in the day when there were fewer categories.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
My iPod and I was carried over from the old forums where it was used as a 'space' for new iPod owners to wax lyrical on their new purchases, rather than clutter up the general forum which was used to put questions of a non technical nature to other iPod owners.

That is why it has the sub heading of "First impressions and personal iPod stories."

It only got up to 8 pages on the old forum so it wasn't exactly over subscribed there - once folk had got their initial enthusiasm out of their system they then hunkered down with more technical postings, which of course went into the other forums.

Hope I have explained it clearly enough!

Last edited:

LarryJoe

Don't get me wrong, I love this place. It just seems that lately the traffic is so spread out, that it is hard to converse with fellow fanatics. Think about it, 27 plus forums for an mp3 player? Seems like there would be some opportunities for consolidation.

The result is that you excellent and knowledgeable moderators spend a lot of time moving threads. What do I know though, I suggest you look at the daily volume and examine if the traffic is becoming dilluted or unexposed.

Keep up the good work, just trying to be constructive.

LJ

PS - MoodLogic? 12 threads? Start swingin the ax!

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Larryjoe,
Life was so much simpler when it was just Mac iPod believe me!!

But with the introduction of Windows it threw up a whole new set of questions. If you compare the old forums with here you will notice some new forums - these were introduced to try and help answer problems with all the thrid party software being introduced for Windows users.
We Mac iPodders only have iTunes to worry about.

A forum was started for iTunes Music Service, and Moodlogic as well - we have to try and keep up with the developments in the iPod world. But if all these various subjects were lumped together into one forum for, say Third Party Software, then if you had a problem with Musicmatch you would have to search through all the posts (100's) to find your answer, or post a question which had already been asked.

Try finding a specific query over on Apple Discussions - its a real struggle.

I'm sure your views will be noted and we review our forum structure on a daily basis. So things may change.

OldSkool

LarryJoe said:
I think there are way to many forums. Some get 2 or 3 posts a day. Do we really need all these categories?

Just my opinion. I have seen it happen time and time again. New product, increased activity, new forum software, lot's of categories-----> threads get lost, moved, or burried under some obscure categorie, no one sees it....and people stop posting.
I agree and a big problem that goes along with this are all the SUB-Forums that come up for certain forums. Talk about overkill and confusing a situation.

28 forums and that doesn't include all the Sub-Forums!!!!!!!

Last edited:

AMG

Banned
the forums are organized well and great. but, please blow away the moodlogic forum. it never gets used! :) :) :)

KeaneE04

I wouldnt mind seeing some of the platform specific forums getting downsized/consolidated, and add at least a general for the linux users. I would have loved to have seen some kind of community support when getting my ipod to work for the Mandrake OS.

Yes, also, many forums in the IPOD list could probally be forced into general or together into one.

But as a linux user, i think that at least some support needs to be given to us, even as some expiremental as a simple general forum.

My New Setup for the New Ipod Forums:
---The Forums Guide
iPod
---General
---Gear
---iPod Polls/Experiences
---Service |Warranty | Repair (perhaps add wishlist into this one)
---Classifieds
---iPod Problems (though could easily be killed off in favor of the individual platform specifics, since 90% of this forum is: this is a mac/pc specific topic, so im moving it there)
iPod Mac
---General
---iTunes, Music Store, and Software (iTunes is the only one ATM that has a topic list greater than 150, most of which could be consolidated into 1 post, and music store goes great with the iTunes program, and could be considered the same thing)
---iPod Problems
iPod PC (notice the change here)
---General Windows
---General Linux
---Linux Software
---MMJB
---XPlay
---EphPod
---MC9 (if you can think of how to consolidate these few a little more, id be estatic!)
---iPod Problems (both os's)
Music
---General (includes Digital future and formats, since total they have about 400 posts)
---Music Explorations
iPodlounge
---The Lounge
---FB and Sug.