WARNING: New Nano 1GB(others) Possible mass defect- Face not flat

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dinostars

mightymouse said:
Of course it makes sense- there was some talk about how the screen was less bright and all that- so if apple were to use hte same battery, but use less power to power the screen, then the battery life would increase. logic right?
Sure it does, if you ignore what he asked.

tidytrev said:
anyone know if the battery life is affected due to the dip in screen power?
He asked about the dip in the screen, not the brightness of it.

flashbackz

i don't really see why theres a reason to be so cautious on a topic like this.... i have nothing to gain by making this up...

this is such a small difference which is why i assumed at first that it was a defect and not a design change

and why don't i have a right to be upset about this? why should i have to cut up my screen protectors and leave the edges of my ipod exposed... to be honest if it weren't for these 'shields' i wouldn't have bought this nano (ordered on from bestskins last night)

and i'm doing this so that other people don't have ot deal with the hastle of trying to return the opened crystal film which technically isn't returnable

here are some pics of the ipod without the film on it...

home.comcast.net/~flashback87/nano1.jpg
home.comcast.net/~flashback87/nano2.jpg
home.comcast.net/~flashback87/nano3.jpg

andi just want to make it clear that this is nothing official... the apple store people haven't been told anything....

Last edited:

leobag

[b]dinostars[/b] said:
He asked about the dip in the screen, not the brightness of it.
I might be wrong, but it looks like he specifically asked about the reduction in screen power, not about a recess of the screen into the nano. However, his use of the word "dip" wasn't the best choice of words.

flashbackz - wow, it is a lot less prominent than I had thought. You can only really see the new edge on photo #3.
+

daleam

Behind You
Yeah, thanks, that actually seems quite noticable, not just if your looking for it, or is it just me?

flashbackz

well i emailed Dennis Lloyd and he responded saying that the 1gb nano they recieved didn't have any such indentations

but i've had two of these with the exact same problem.... and theres atleast one person on here that agrees with me... so i really have no idea if this is normal or not...

and yes i was able to get some decent pictures of it... but really... its not noticeable at all... your have to have a very bright light on it and something reflecting on it to see it well... i guess we'll have to get some input from other users as they begin getting the 1gb nanos... i may be headed back to the apple store tomorrow grrrr

superman56

Super Lounger
y not just return it and see if its the same on anymore, my friend just got one and his looks exactly like mine, the guy in the geek lounge was wrong.

Website
www.ilounge.com
The point is that there's nothing wrong with the iPod. Plastic surfaces needn't be perfectly flat - you are seeing legitimate curves in the surface, and yes, the ones we have here also have slight curves in the surface. But there's no protective lip, and nothing "wrong." Just enjoy the nano. :)

madleet

i heard about the 1GB nano got lower battlife is it as bad or its around the same as the 2GB nano?
the surface not as flat maybe to offset the display crack issue?

flashbackz

wow... this made engadget.... i didn't mean to state this as a factual world-wide problem..... just showing people what two of the new nanos have done... and the guy at the genius bar didn't seeem like he was bull####ting me.... but i duno...

and thanks, i will definitely be enjoying the nano :) but its staying in its box until my bestskinsever shield gets here

mtnagel

I'm not really seeing how this would stop that many scratches. I mean, how many people put their nano face down on something? It'll still scratch with this design if you put it in your pocket or something.

daltonrooney

Website
www.mlik.org
I have the same problem. The face of the 1GB Nano looks totally fine, but when I try to put on the crystal film, you can see that there's a ridge around the outside and the film doesn't stick quite right.

I also had a big problem with fingerprints on the film while I was trying to install it, and some of the adhesive came off while I was putting it on. The crystal film looks pretty terrible, but I guess it's my fault.

flashbackz

daltonrooney said:
I have the same problem. The face of the 1GB Nano looks totally fine, but when I try to put on the crystal film, you can see that there's a ridge around the outside and the film doesn't stick quite right.

I also had a big problem with fingerprints on the film while I was trying to install it, and some of the adhesive came off while I was putting it on. The crystal film looks pretty terrible, but I guess it's my fault.

did you buy yours from an apple store, if so which one? is it black or white?

also just fyi i heard you can pull the film off, wash it with a mild soap lightly and reaply it, apparently a light washing doesn't mess it up its 'static cling' properties... are you sure its crystal film though? i don't believe the crystal film has any adhesive that would stick on the ipod.... or maybe it was something else you were seeing.... the apple store is sometimes lenient and willl exchange it if your really nice :)

Last edited:

daltonrooney

Website
www.mlik.org
I bought mine from the Apple Store online. It's the black one.

I did try washing the crystal film, and drying it lightly with a hair dryer, but I still end up with water spots under the film. And yep, there's definitely some sort of adhesive on the film...and if you rub it enough, it will come off. : (

EDIT: Anne from Power Support got back to me and helped me clean the film and reapply to the face. It looks pretty good now, although there is still the ridge where the film and the face don't meet (as in flashbackz picture). I was not able to reapply the wheel because of the weird smudge, which wouldn't clean off. Anne says that there's no adhesive too, so I guess I'm wrong. But I'm OK without the wheel cover.

I'll upload a clear picture of the Nano with the Crystal Film later so everyone can see the gap between the two. I have a pretty good macro mode on my camera.

Last edited:

Fanatic

flashbackz said:
can anyone else with a 1gb nano please chime in on this?
I have a White 1GB coming to my wife next week, I will scope out the possible "edge" to see if it has one. I will post what I see when I get it in.
I was going for the Crystal Shields, but I will hold off for now.

Mistalee01

whoah coooool...i like the matrix skin and the skin whereit looks like the nano is opened ( at first i thought it was...)