Volume

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Marc28ct

Hi guys... Thank you for all your help...

Like I said in previous posts, I am new to IPOD and just learning...

I noticed that most of the songs I have downloaded to my IPOD, the volume is kinda low. I have to basically turn the IPOD volume most of the way up, for it to be a comfortable hearing level.

Am I not doing something right?

Is there a way for it to be recorded at a higher volume...

I would think that the middle of the volume bar would be where it should be at a comfortable hearing level?

Marc

SouthsideIrish

Are you using a European iPod? If not then you might have to normalize you mp3's using mp3gain, if you are using a European iPod then this is normal and the only way you can fix it is to buy a copy of XPlay.

If you need to normalize then just do a search as there are a bunch of threads in the new and old forums on normalization.

Bill McNair

Marc28ct

No, I am in the U.S. and it's an American model, I guess...

I am not familiar with what you are talking about. Is there anything I can do when downloading? I was just wondering if there was something I should "select" or something that would make a difference?

SouthsideIrish

It would be better for you to rip with the CD's with EAC or CDex. I've never have to play songs at anything near that halfway mark unless I am playing them really loud.

Well, I quess you will need to normalize your songs. You will need to get a copy of mp3gain at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=3274, then take a look at a message called MP3-CD album-based MP3Gain adjustment for newbies on the Hydrogen Audio Board at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=3274.

Oh, and you will need to d/l the Full Install of MP3Gain 1.2 BETA.

If this seems like too much then you might want to rip a few songs with CDex or EAC and see if there is a volume improvement.

Bill McNair

Marc28ct

Thanks for the advice but I will be honest, ya lost me...

I went to that site and have no idea what they are talking about.

I am new to the Mult-media realm.

Was hoping it was something simple like selecting something prior to downloading or something...

SouthsideIrish

You need to raise the volume of you mp3's and there are only three ways that I know of to do it. You can buy a copy of XPlay, buy a copy of MC9 or use mp3gain.

The easiest way that I know of is the volume setting in XPlay, but I'm sure the replaygain in MC9 isn't that much harder. Using mp3gain really isn't that hard, but it is time consuming.

There are probably better people at explaining this than me, but all you need to do is analyze you songs and see how close they are to 94db. If they are lower than that we will know that MMJB is ripping them at too low of a volume setting and then you can decide whether you want to switch to a new ripper or go through the hassle of normalizing all of you mp3's.

So, after installing mp3gain, start it, click on add folder, select the folder with the songs, then click track analysis. If the songs are less then 94dB then you will have to normalize them, and even if they are 94db you still may want to go higher. All you have to do is change the 94 to 98, and click on track gain and the volume on each song will be changed.

It's really not that hard, and you really can't screw anything up.

Bill McNair

Last edited: