Volume Levelling

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

phes

BaNnAna peEler
Im sick and tiered of having to re-adjust my volume on my ipod for each individual song. Is there any way that i can normalize all the volumes to THE SAME LEVEL without changing the mp3's themselves? I saw a couple of scripts that do so, but they increase the gain on each song by a set amount, so thats no good, theres still a difference in volume level.

Any suggestions?! :confused:

ashawley

Website
www.
That is indeed what soundcheck is for, but it only works on Macs.

Except...if you use MC9 to upload.

It has Replay Gain built into it. This applies volume levelling to your tunes w/o changing the source mp3s. Then, when you sync your iPod you can have the volume level adjustments applied to the iPod's database so you have the same thing as soundcheck.

But you'll have to switch uploading programs...

Adam

aym

From what I've read here and personal experience I also believe it doesn't work with a line-out situation. That's the only thing that disappoints me about being able to hook my iPod to my car through the line out.

Aym

EsspeN

Lamer
Website
www.espen.se
aym said:
From what I've read here and personal experience I also believe it doesn't work with a line-out situation. That's the only thing that disappoints me about being able to hook my iPod to my car through the line out.

Aym
Ive read some posts from other people that claim that
http://www.ringom.no/espen/ipod will boost up the output volume as well.

I havent tried myself, so I cant confirm that it works, but
since it takes 2-3 seconds to run, and you can reverse all changes in 2-3 seconds you might consider try it!

Please let us know.

aym

That's only going to boost the volume of ALL the MP3's, right? That I can do with my volume knob. My problem is the occasional really quiet song where I turn the volume up and then get blasted out of my seat when the next song comes on.

Good suggestion, though.

Aym

EsspeN

Lamer
Website
www.espen.se
Ohh.. Why dont u use mp3gain like most of us?

Its default in ephpod, but u can download it as well.
mp3gain set all songs to 89db if u dont choose other settings

phes

BaNnAna peEler
Hmm.. but will that just increase the volume on all the songs, and not just the ones that need it?
Wheres that option anyway.

ashawley said:

Except...if you use MC9 to upload.

It has Replay Gain built into it. This applies volume levelling to your tunes w/o changing the source mp3s. Then, when you sync your iPod you can have the volume level adjustments applied to the iPod's database so you have the same thing as soundcheck.

But you'll have to switch uploading programs...

Adam

ashawley

Website
www.
phes:

Replay gain increases the volume on some songs and decreases it on others. It's volume normalization.

To use it in MC9:

1. Highlight all your songs in MC9, right-click select Analyze Audio. This process will take some time, so let it run overnight. It only needs to be done once. This will determine that db levels to be applied to the iPod

2. When your songs are analyzed, right-click the iPod and select Set Volume Adjustment. Select the Replay Gain option, boost the volume slider up to the max (+12db) as Replay Gain tends to lower the overall volume, this will compensate (but the tunes will be normalized now).

3. Sync w/Update Tags checked.

Since it's just a database entry that needs to be applied the sync will go super fast (200MB/sec) as the songs don't need to be recopied up to the iPod.

Adam

dave_b9000

there is an answer to this if you use a mac (don't know if it works on a pc) over at the apple forums a nice bloke has written a script for itunes that solved all my volume problems.

my music collection is pretty varied and includes a lot of old cds, these cds are much quieter than new cds, however when i adjusted the volume of the mp3 in itunes so that they were all the same, i found that the ipod exagerrated any volume changes that i'd made (either up or down) by quite a bit (by a factor of 8 or something apparantly)

this nice bloke i mentioned earlier has written a script to sort this. all you do is adjust the mp3 volume in itunes so that they all have the same sound level, copy them over to the ipod then run the script. The script adjusts any changes you've made to 16% of the change and puts the word 'done' in the comments box so that it doesn't alter it again the next time you run the script. The result is songs all the same volume.

if you would like the script head over to
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.f02116d

and ask for it. I can't give it to you as the creator wants to keep it on the apple forum so that apple can see how many people want the script and hopefully take notice and fix the bug.

Diversion

Website
diversio.home.comcast.net
If i'm not mistaken.. if you enable SoundCheck in iTunes when you import mp3s to the iPOD after it uploads them to the player, it does a volume test afterwards and applies the right amount of gain to each file. I tried it and so far listening.. the volume between all tracks seems about even.. it could be my imagination though.

Jay

dave_b9000

i have found soundcheck to be pretty uneven and wasn't really impressed with the results. it seemed to underestimate.

jjunker

I'm going to attempt this Soundcheck in iTunes before I re-sync again tonight .... but...

What i've noticed about choosing Soundcheck on the iPod, the songs don't sound as "dynamic" - and does it choose the DB of the currently playing track as the standard to set the rest?

J.

{edit} well maybe I spoke too soon, I'm listening to my iPod with Soundcheck turned on, and the songs seem to still sound just as dynamic. My next question however...

How does Soundcheck effect battery life?

Last edited:

chucktaylor

ashawley said:
Why won't it work on a PC? this seems like a pretty standard feature, especially if you are using iTunes on the PC? or was this posted before iTunes came out on the PC?

Thanks for the help in advance...

chucktaylor

geelongfan said:
just use mp3gain
i don't want to modify the mp3s. I tried it this weekend on some of them and after boosting the volume, there is an annoying loud hiss to them.

boo hiss is what i say to mp3gain.