Volume Correction

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Tekron

keepin'downtheunderground
I was just wondering if there is an alternative to using MC9 to correct the volume levels for my music because I don't feel like reformatting my iPod and replacing all my music to get equal levels. Thanks in advance.

Tekron

Will that level out all the volume, or simply just raise it so I can listen to the songs louder than before?

Tekron

Thank you very much, but what's the difference between track analysis and track gain.

Also, under the options there are album gain/analysis, what do each of these do?

Will I lose the highs and lows of the song under a certain one and will it make my songs "mono" as if all the parts of the song were the same level?

What procedure must I do to have to just adjust the volume once for every song on my iPod, but not lose the certain highs and lows of the song?

Last edited:

bighairy

All round good egg
Track analysis just does the analysis and does not change anything, track gain does the analysis and makes the changes (same thing with the album versions of these two). When you run an analysis mp3gain stores these numbers in the mp3 so you don't have to burn so much cpu time if you run again. The numbers take up almost no room and don't cause problems.

I like the album gain: it keeps relative levels the same for any given album (meaning loud tracks stay louder than quiet ones) but sets all albums to have a similar average level. It works very well.

Neither gain adjustment alters volume within the track. They just boost or reduce the volume once per track. Its like turning the volume up or down a bit at the start of each track to make it match the last one.

If you want to run it on your whole collection just "Add" the root folder. It may take a while!

If you use 89db it will make most of your MP3s quieter: if you then combine that by running EspeN's new volume booster (if you have an EU ipod) then you will even be able to use the EQs without distortion and all your tracks will easily go up to pain level.

I often listen to big compilations with many songs from different albums and mp3gain does mean I rarely change the volume while playing.

graeme

Last edited:

Tekron

But I'm still having trouble understanding the difference in results between the album gain and track gain...

Please help! I know I'm being a pain in the arse, sorry.

Also, say I wanted to undo this, is it possible to remove the filter?

Last edited:

dcx693

Think of it this way: track gain just adjusts all your files so that max volume is the one you set (89 dB is the default but you can change it).

Album gain: looks for the max volume in a group of files. Let's say it's 92 dB. Let's say that occurs in two tracks, but three other tracks in that same group have max level of 90 dB. mp3gain, if you set your desired max level to be 89 dB will change the level of the first two tracks to 89 dB and the other three to 87 dB, thereby retaining the relative loudness of the tracks (relative to each other), but adjusting the max overall to 89 dB.

Tekron

I think I got it now, thanks. I'm probably going to do the Track Gain because if I did the Album Gain, mp3gain might get confused and consider my whole collection as an album and then all hell will break loose. lol

Thanks again!