• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

video size?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

miniMAMF

I'm going to be getting a new 5.5 30GB ipod as soon as the stores around here get them in, so in the meantime, I'm preparing some files for use on there.

I have a quicktime movie which is 640x480, about 20 minutes long, and the file size is about 450 MB. In Quicktime, it plays fine. In iTunes, it's a little choppy at times, but is okay. Is this too big a file to be played on an iPod? I want to use it on the TV ultimately, so I'd rather keep it at 640x480.

I also had a smaller, 320x240 Quicktime movie I downloaded. It was only about 5 minutes long, and about 12 MB. I clicked the "Convert Selection for iPod" in the Advanced menu of iTunes, and it took its time to convert the file to an mp4. It looks the same as the .mov in iTunes, but the file size is now about 50MB.

Can .mov files even be played on iPod, or do they have to be .mp4?

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
They have to be in the MP4 format. Odds are the movies you have will have to be converted by iTunes for the iPod, but the iPod can do 640x480 video in the MP4 format, including H.264 encoding. You can use Quicktime Pro to convert it for the iPod as well, if you have it. To see exactly what the iPod supports, check out the iPod iPod Tech Specs page at Apple.com.

miniMAMF

Thanks for the reply. I don't have QT Pro, but as I understand it, the "Convert Selection for iPod" option in iTunes is the same convertor. It was taking over 2 hours last night and barely got the first few minutes of my 20-min, 640x480 .mov file done, so I cancelled it.

I get the impression that there are 3rd party programs out there that will do the job better and faster than iTunes or QT Pro - looks like I've got some reading to do.

Thanks!

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Yes, there are 3rd party apps that are much faster. As of right now, none of them do 640x480 in H.264/MP4, which would give you the best files size to quality ratio for what you want.

Aefinney

I like free ipod video converter from jodix.com works great supoorts multiple files at once you can adjust bitrates on audio and video independently. Main thing though is it works best for me with vista than some of my other progs.

justblaize

baggss said:
Yes, there are 3rd party apps that are much faster. As of right now, none of them do 640x480 in H.264/MP4, which would give you the best files size to quality ratio for what you want.
Videora most definitley does this. As a matter of fact, it can do higher resolutions than this. Ive actually encoded a clip at dvd resolution and it has been able to play fine on the ipod.

VipFREAK

I'm not Technical for the most part and I am a Visual person so I used my creativity to help me with my video conversions. Hope it helps you as well. These are all based on Videora's listings... I had to start using it and somehow it actually works now too.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
justblaize said:
Videora most definitley does this. As a matter of fact, it can do higher resolutions than this. Ive actually encoded a clip at dvd resolution and it has been able to play fine on the ipod.
Sorry, I mean't in the LC Baseline Profile that the new iPod firmware supports. They can all do it in Baseline H.264 640x480, but the iPod doesn't support it unless it's in the LC Baseline profile.

The iPod will do 320x240 H.264 in Baseline Profile and 640x480 H.264 in the LC Baseline Profile. Unless Videora has been updated in the last day or so, I don't believe it does the LC Baseline.

From Apple:

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Low-Complexity Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Last edited:

ipodguy80GB

I'm trying to send a MP4 encoded file that is 1.5GB in size but can't seem to do it. Is there a file size limit for the iPod?

ipodguy80GB

I can add it to my iTunes library and it plays fine there but it never sends it to my iPod.