Video Quality iPod 5G vs 5.5G (60GB vs 80GB)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dwhoward

I have both the older and newer iPod 5G (the 60gb and the 80gb). It seems to me, that the video quality of the newer unit may have some problems and I'm trying to figure out if this is because I have a bad unit or if it's because of changes made to the screen or video processor.

While a lot of stuff looks better and most looks the same, I'm quite surprised that some higher resolution (640x480) items off of the iTunes store look worse on the newer model at certain points in the show. Specifically, I notice more artifacts in the videos of the newer one. These are most prominent on black and dark colors/backdrops.

Could someone who has both the older and newer iPod try this for me? Go to the iTunes store and download the Grey's Anatomy show titled Deterioration of the Flight (it's a free download) and load it to both iPods. In the first minute or two of the show, compare the quality and tell me what you think? Particulary in the first two minutes of the show, when the EKG monitor (a very dark background) is being shown, do you notice more artifacts on the newer unit then the old and do you notice green artifacts on the monitor on the new iPod that you don't notice on the older iPod?

It's particularly the introduction of the green artifacts on the new one that I find troubling. Part of me thinks the unit if defective and another part of me thinks the screen may be so much better that I'm seeing details and imperfections that are just hidden by the older generation screen. I have tried this at different brightness levels but still notice the imperfections.

irockanipod

I think if you really want to know whether it's the screen, you need to compare with more than just one sample. Try different videos on both Ipods and see what you get. If you suspect it's a screen fault, give Apple Center a call.

terpfan200

Did you figure out whether your unit was defective or not? I only have the new 80gb 5.5g ipod, so I don't have a 5g to compare video quality to, but I too have noticed a lot of artifacts in various parts of the tv shows and movies I've downloaded onto my ipod.