Video Podcasts and iOS 5, am I missing a setting?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Code Monkey

For reasons I cannot fathom, video podcasts, managed and synced through the podcast tab for your iOS device, no longer show up under podcasts on the device, instead they only show up under the video app. As an aside, this may or may not be the case on the iPad since their iTunes app is actually called "iTunes" while it's inexplicably been called "Music" on the touch and iPhone even though it functioned nearly identically to the one on the iPad and handled audiobooks, podcasts of video and audio, etc..

Is there a setting I've missed that restores the correct placement of video podcasts with your podcasts, or am I now going to have to switch between two apps (that shouldn't even be two apps) just to listen/watch my podcasts?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I can't find any individual settings. I too think this change from iPod to "Music/Video" in two separate apps is mostly asinine. Two steps forward five steps back sometimes.

It also makes me bob my head slightly as I watched the twitter-verse pick on Black Berry Messenger being down yesterday while I battled a five hour tirade with iTunes and my Phone and iCloud to get things working and as of this morning, my phone "kind of" gets my mail, but my mac can no longer connect to the mail servers to get mail (But can send).

Everything does not always come up roses in Cupertino, no matter how much I love to love to hate the products and software somedays.

Code Monkey

I can't find any individual settings. I too think this change from iPod to "Music/Video" in two separate apps is mostly asinine. Two steps forward five steps back sometimes.
Splitting the app for no reason was bad enough, but at least they used keep all podcasts in the "Music" app whether they were video or not. Evidently somebody noticed the "inconsistency" and "fixed" it for iOS 5 doing nothing but making things harder to use. You'd think a company selling a million iPhones and 400,000 touches a week could take the time to just make an official "iTunes" app for the devices when everything is decoded under the hood anyhow.

So far finding iOS 5 a bit of a wash compared to 4. They improved the weather app, but it's still not up to par with something like the paid TWC app, yet it's just good enough you feel weird keeping the paid app on there. They added the Reminders app, which integrates tightly with the notification center, but they didn't polish it at all so, like the weather app, you're left feeling like you can probably get by with Reminders, but then you consider whatever GTD app you've been using all along and the things it does Reminders doesn't. iCloud seems like a damn alpha for as clear as it is how to get things working, and the lack of support for so many computers, Mac & Windows, is nuts. Wireless syncing seems to only work reliably when your computer is "wide awake", i.e. in use currently, so what advantage does it provide? That Newsstand app you can't even stick in a folder because the app itself is some sort of OS level meta folder. The Notifications center will, eventually, I'm sure be an improvement, but you've got to spend a lot of time configuring the bejesus out of it. The old badges/alert popup system might have been crude, but it was also blindingly simple.

And you'd think they could have been a little clearer about how the update process would go given the number of posts here and other places with people who, stupidly or not, never bothered to actually sync with a computer and just lost everything because even their fuller backup for the update does not backup the media or app files.

Code Monkey

Speaking of missing settings, if you're on a touch and used to sync to your Google contacts, you are officially bent over the log. You either sync contacts from iCloud (and there's no way to get new Google contacts to iCloud) or not at all. Apparently in the Phone app there's still a pref to use iCloud or Google, but I guess touch owners don't warrant having contacts that get updated.

Really wondering why I bothered to upgrade. iCloud is seemingly pointless and seems just a Trojan horse strategy to tie iOS users to yet another absolutely proprietary Apple service nobody asked for.

Last edited:

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Sync on steroids is really stink on steroids?

Those are my settings for syncing contacts, but yeah. The kool-aid is grape and fizzy here on the cloud. I think finally things normalized across my mac, phone and cloud for my contacts. Likely really slow due to all the total curfafal going on at the moment maybe.

As my wife said as we were trying to decide to go with verizon so I could have my iPhone or with the local cellular company and have myself go android it was kind of a tough decision. Some of the "Freedom" of android is intriguing, but as it is I'm -so- invested in the apple ecosystem it is hard to decide to go android and have more "power" that I may or may not need. But some days the kool-aid certainly has an off taste.

Code Monkey

Ah, so it is still possible to override at the computer level, just not on that new and improved "don't need a computer" version of iOS, figures.

I'll have to see what happens later when I get a chance to fiddle with that. I know based on those using the settings in the Phone app that if you do choose Google or another option it disables syncing Contacts to iCloud, but that's the least of my concerns.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Ah, so it is still possible to override at the computer level, just not on that new and improved "don't need a computer" version of iOS, figures.

I'll have to see what happens later when I get a chance to fiddle with that. I know based on those using the settings in the Phone app that if you do choose Google or another option it disables syncing Contacts to iCloud, but that's the least of my concerns.
Let us know what you find. Those settings are for my new iPhone, hopefully still the same for the touch.

Code Monkey

Let us know what you find. Those settings are for my new iPhone, hopefully still the same for the touch.
They are there for the touch. If you enable the "old" way of doing things you get a warning about how unnecessary this is because your contacts are now magically maintained in the fluffy iCloud and it then disables contact syncing to/from iCloud.

It does appear you can have most of the best of both worlds if you're willing to futz a bit:

At the very bottom of the contacts tab after updating to iOS 5, there's a new "Advanced" pane. You can enable "Sync to Google" (or Yahoo or Outlook or whatever) and go all the way to the bottom and check off the "contacts" checkbox, which, if the description is correct, means your contact data will be pushed this one time only to the device, which will then be synced to iCloud. Now, why they couldn't have done this in a simpler and more transparent way...

The chief problem is the no way of syncing data bi-directionally.

PollyPurple

Hi, to get your video podcasts back into podcasts rather than in video, highlight the podcast, go up to file, then click get info, then go to options and change it from music to podcast. Hope this works for you. :)

Code Monkey

Hi, to get your video podcasts back into podcasts rather than in video, highlight the podcast, go up to file, then click get info, then go to options and change it from music to podcast. Hope this works for you. :)
That's not the issue here. These are explicitly podcasts by type already. The issue is that in iOS 5 video podcasts are no longer treated as podcasts, rather they're treated like a 100% generic video.

This issue is strictly on Apple's plate, not the podcast feed or the user's end.

rbehrns

My video podcasts were already of type podcast. Music wasn't an option. This is a 3rd gen touch, just upgraded to ios5 and itunes 10.5.0.142.

I also miss the podcast icon without having to go to "more". Is there any way to modify, or am I stuck with someone else's idea of what I want? Again.

rbehrns

video podcasts

I tried to run a video podcast while my touch was sitting in a dock and the video flips on it's side. It should know that it's vertical and show the video in the smaller version. Am I missing a setting that locks it? Some podcasts don't have much to watch and the small size isn't a problem and I can set it in my (speaker containing) dock and charge it and let the podcast run. The sideways video just doesn't make sense--and is just irritating.

Code Monkey

I tried to run a video podcast while my touch was sitting in a dock and the video flips on it's side. It should know that it's vertical and show the video in the smaller version. Am I missing a setting that locks it? Some podcasts don't have much to watch and the small size isn't a problem and I can set it in my (speaker containing) dock and charge it and let the podcast run. The sideways video just doesn't make sense--and is just irritating.
No, you're not missing anything. All video playback is now treated equally regardless of type, and saving position is buggy. For video, iOS 5 marks a complete downgrade.

This brings up one of my gripes: Apple only beta tests iOS releases with developers, who if they really are developing are paying a lot more attention to unexpected crashes and other glitches in their products than how the device operates for ordinary users. Then the .0 release, technically official, gets released for beta testing for the other 99.9% of the people who will be using it and they inevitably find crap that should have never gone gold. By the .1 or .2 release, things are finally where they would have been at .0 if only Apple would have a closed beta with perfectly ordinary schmucks.

rbehrns

Thanks, I looked for a setting that might unlock landscape mode for video and couldn't find it. I thought there used to be one to lock it. Apparently somebody decided they knew what was best for us.

On a whim, I ran a video from the Accuweather app & it rotates just fine. All four orentations. Back to a podcast and it will flip to either landscape mode only. It should be a simple fix--if they will only do it.

I also miss the back up 30 seconds button. Rewind is a poor substitute.

Any idea where to complain? I did a feed back on the apple support page, but I don't know that it will go anywhere.

Thanks again for an answer.
RB