• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Video formats with the ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cjhobbies00

Will software upgrades(or mods even) possibly allow the ipod to play videos like .mpg or rm?

cause these apple approved formats sound like they really suck quality wise

FunkDaddy

hmmm... suck? I disagree. H.264 is one of the best codecs I've seen, small file sizes too. Just takes long to encode. Visit apple's Aperture site and watch those videos... only 80 or 90k/sec and look great. And mp4 is not too shabby either.

I don't know how upgradable the firmware is, but I heard it can be updated to support new codecs.

ClayRock

is there any software available to convert video files? i know Itunes told me Quiktime Pro will when I tried adding a .mov file that wasn't compatible.

thanks.

xxirish83x

Quicktime pro only converts the vids if you have a mac im told! I bought it and i cant do anything else with it

ClayRock

xxirish83x said:
Quicktime pro only converts the vids if you have a mac im told! I bought it and i cant do anything else with it
thats unfortunate. i'd like to be able to convert all of my video files into MP4. anyone that could help me find some answers i'd really appreciate it.

xxirish83x

they did the samething that sony did with haveing their own format..... and i dont appreciate it because now i have to do all this work to figure out how to get it right... basterds