• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Video Content & the rumored new iPod Video

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blue_maffu_202

What will happen to all the videos that we have purchased and encoded ourselves once this new rumored (pretty much definate) iPod video is out?

Seeing as the new one should have a bigger screen won't the videos need to be a differnt resolution? meaning the old videos will be letter boxed and lower quality?

I may be getting ahead of myself here and as much as I say I won't fork out another $400 on a new iPod only 2 months after getting this one, who am I really kidding, I always do.

I'm just worried if I buy more content or work on encoding new content, I'm going to have to re-do it all come April/May.

Any thoughts?:confused:

sxm

they are rumors

that site is known to have posted rumors that didnt come true.

blue_maffu_202

Ok this post is not to debate if its real or not.

I'm just saying, IF it does then all the video content is going to be screwed up, right?

onlydarksets

You want to know how your videos will work on something that may or may not exist, and about which you have no codec or hardware information?

The answer is beyond speculation - that's just guesswork.

I guess "no", then.

sk8board237

Even when you all get a site that talks about it you deny it. Stubborn idiots, you just deny it because you rushed out and got the 5G with video and now that there are making a beter iPod you don't want to believe there will be an iPod better than the one you own. Face it it's happened with all of the iPods. I am a little upset that they are planning this one because I bought the 5G with Video.

I have seen pictures of this new iPod and I think it's very cool and sleek looking but there will only be one problem in my mind, will all the movies be wide screen and you must hold the iPod horizontally?

If I can find the pic I'll post it

Jimmyx

1.You're assuming that there is going to be a new video iPod.
2.You're assuming that it will have a larger screen.
3.If there is a new one in the distant future, the videos would most likely be compatable.
4.There is an accessory that connects the ipod to your television. It has great resolution. If the screen of the ipod would get slightly larger the effects would be minimal.

kornchild2002

In order to debate whether or not currently encoded videos from the iTunes music store will work on a rumored device or not, we first must tackle the new rumored device.

So far, EVERYTHING out there is just rumors. Sure, I am willing to be that Apple is working on a video iPod of this type. However, I highly doubt they will release it in April/May when the 5G iPod hasn't even been out for that long. Apple might release it as a 5G upgrade (like the difference between a 4G and 4G photo) but would they really want to do that?

A 1" screen size won't make too much of a difference. If the screen is in the 16X9 format then you have a couple of options. You can either view the video in 4X3 mode meaning that there will be black bars to the left and right of the video, you can stretch the video but this will distort it, or you can digitally zoom in on the video (like the PSP does) making the file appear to be widescreen.

If Apple did release this new 6G iPod then the videos purchased from the iTunes music store would look even more pixelated. They would either have to go back and re-encode everything, they are already re-encoding everything, or just make it so you digitally zoom in on the videos.

I am not saying that Apple is not working on such a device but I am saying that I really doubt Apple will come out with it in April/May just 6 months after the 5G release.

These rumor sites, especially thinksecret, have been wrong millions of times. Thinksecret was the one reporting that Apple would first update their Mac mini and iBook lines with the Intel processors. They also said that the video iPod was coming last year when Apple did away with the iPod photo line and just called them the iPod (the upgraded 4G iPod). They have made many statements about Apple that have come out wrong.

I imagine that Apple will probably release a new 17" MacBook and they might update their PowerMac line with the Intel processors. Who knows? Apple might just come out with new Intel everything. They could also announce their Tablet PC (which we know they made as they have filed patents for it) or maybe make a Pocket PC. This rumored video iPod could in fact be a pocket PC with only a 20GB hard drive.

It just seems pretty dumb to release a 6G iPod 6 months after the 5G and it would also seem pretty dumb to release a iPod where the entire face of it is the screen. iPods are ment to be used everyday, I don't think a 3.5" LCD would hold the test of time by being used every day.

So, there are my opinions.

Don't worry about it.

riceman

a bigger screen with a different resolution also means they'd have to have TWO versions of every video they offer: 1 for the 5G (320x240) and one for the newer ipod (whatever the resolution).