Vent Mount Question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pmad

Are there any concerns with temperature (AC/Heater) when using a vent mount.

I know you should probably close the vent, but even closed, the vent itself still gets hot/cold.

anypats

I've thought about the same thing before. Apple's site says that the operating temperature is between 32 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Most people are most comfortable between the 60 and 80 degree range. In the summer running the air conditioner, even with it blowing directly onto the iPod I don't think you could get it down to 32 degrees. In the winter I think the same thing, I doubt you could get it up to 95 degrees. Not to mention, most of the time heat is directed at your feet and on the windshield to defrost so not a lot of heat is sent directly to the vent that your iPod is attached to.

Therefore, I don't think there should be any problems with a vent mount.

pmad

while ^ that is true, the actual air temp come through the vent is substantially colder and hotter than 60-80.

anypats

Correct, but I don't think it would be as cold as 32 degrees and if you're running the heat through the floor vents then I don't think it would be hotter than 95 through the top vents.

I guess the only way to check would be to get digital thermometers to place on the vents to see how hot they get.

JohnnyRoaster

Website
www.armeno.com
I think anypats is right about the heat. Here in New England, I almost always have the heat coming through the bottom vents in the winter. Therefore, the AC is the only thing to worry about. I have not measured it but I would be surprised if on full blast the AC was below 50 degrees at the vent. I would be more concerned about condensation from the AC getting the iPod wet.

I have my iPod in an inexpensive vent mount right now. It is a temporary solution because I am getting a new car in a few month. The iPod does pretty much block all the air coming from the center vent.

How does the temperature inside a closed car in the summer effect the iPod. It doesn't take much for a locked car to reach 120 degrees in the sun.

mde83

Your AC will never blow colder than about 46 degrees Farenheit. That is not an issue and neither is the heat because the hottest it will blow will be about 90. JohnnyRoaster is right that the biggest issue is condensation. Nonetheless, on one of my cars, the vent where my iPod is mounted does not have an on/off slider or switch. While I had my dash apart doing my install, I cut a piece of plastic with a dremel to match the size of the duct (note I said duct and not the dash vent) and attached the plastic to the duct to block off air from reaching that vent. You cannot see it at all and it worked like a charm...

rubenv1

I know Arkon Resources Inc. has a few vent mount solutions with swivels for iPods. You might want try them. I have a CM160w thats has a swivel vent mount clip.

K1W1

The interior temperature of a car can get up to 50C (122F) in summer in the sun. Leaving your iPod in the mount with the car parked in the sun will do far more damage to it than any air comeing through the vent ever will.

pmad

K1W1 said:
The interior temperature of a car can get up to 50C (122F) in summer in the sun. Leaving your iPod in the mount with the car parked in the sun will do far more damage to it than any air comeing through the vent ever will.
I don't plan on doing that. But thanks

JohnnyRoaster

Website
www.armeno.com
I got my vent mount kit from BestBuy for $10. It holds my photo with my eVo case on. I am not sure of the brand but I can check if you are interested.

I hadn't even thought of turning off the vent but I will do that as soon as I leave work today.