USB Cable Confusion - Please Help

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tfisher

I'm sorry if this is old stuff, but someone please answer my questions:

1. Can I connect and use a new iPod with my Win XP USB 2.0 PC without buying anything other than what comes with the iPod?

2. If I want to occasionally use my iPod to transfer data files from various different USB PCs, do I need to buy a special cable and do I need to carry the dock around with me?

3. Do I need the $20 Apple Firewire/USB2.0 three connector cable? And does anyone sell this other than Apple?

4. Are there generic off-the-shelf USB2 cables that work for the above questions, or only proprietary stuff from Apple?

Thanks for anyone who can straighten out my confusion.

Tom

ZoidbergD

1. No.
2. You don't need to carry the Dock around with you. You just need the iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0/FireWire cable.
3. Yes you do. I think Apple is the only company that's manufacturing/selling them.
4. Nope, generic USB 2.0 cables/FireWire cables will not work with the new iPods. Generic FireWire cables will work with past generation iPods, however.

Alternatively, you can just install a FireWire PCI card in your system. That might make things easier, since you can just use the Dock connector cable that was included with the iPod.

tfisher

Zoidberg D, thank you so much for your clear, concise answers. Now I'm finally going to buy an iPod!

Tom