Upgrading iPod ... More Questions.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iMan

Many thanks to "ashawley" for the excellent explanation Here .

I have now transferred all the music from the iPod to MC9 and analyzed all the tunes not ripped with MC9. :)

I have also purchased a brand new 40G (charged and ready to go)!!

Now for the question...

1/ Do I need install the new iPod software as I already have them installed from the 30G ?

2/ Do I need to format the iPod before using with MC9

3/ What do I have to do with MC9 so I can use the EQ from the iPod and avoid distortion ?

4/ Is Adam?s help guide still up to date re: synchronizing the iPod with MC9 ?

I apologize in advance if these questions have already been asked. :eek:

TIA

iMan

ashawley

Website
www.
Hm....ok, here goes:

1. There's nothing you need to have installed other than the 2.1 Updater. And you only need that to Format your iPod for windows use (see step 2)

2. Run the 2.1 Updater (Start>Programs>iPod>System Software 2.1), click on "Restore". This will format it for windows use. When you launch MC9 it will ask you to "initalize" the iPod. Right click the iPod under "CDs, DVDs & Handhelds and select "Initialize".

3. Not sure what you mean by this one. The iPod's EQ is bad--don't use it.

4. Er, no. :D The basics are there though. You don't need to download any plugins, so ignore that bit. Also, to sync, just click on the iPod Toolbar icon. That's the best way.

Adam

iMan

Many Thanks Adam, I followed your instructions and all went well ? However things are not so good now! :(

After the initial sync, I ripped a few cd?s ( thanks to the extra space ) and did another sync. The status box appeared and it looked like the tunes were being transferred, but after unmounting, the new songs didn?t show on the iPod! :( :(

I then did another restore, initialize and sync and all went well again, I ripped a couple of CD?s, did another sync and again it appeared like the new tunes were being transferred but again, they didn?t show on the pod. :( :( :(

What Am I doing wrong? :confused:

TIA

iMAn

Ps: I am using Media Center 9.1.242 Beta.

ashawley

Website
www.
OK, you need to upgrade. You're using a really old beta. They are on version 9.1.309 right now. You're like 60 builds off! :D

Get the newest version (beta) and connect your iPod, right click the iPod and select "Rebuild iPod Database". Then do a sync. You're playlists should be on there fine.

Check back once a week at least for the new betas.

Adam

iMan

Thanks Adam, I have upgraded to 3.1.309, on connecting the iPod, it crashed so I did another restore, synched and all went well, then I ripped a couple more CD?s, did another sync and again it looked like the new tunes were being transferred, but on checking the iPod, they were nowhere to be found !!! :rolleyes:

Any help will be greatly appreciated; I must be doing something wrong.

I have been on this for 4 days now and it is driving me mad! :confused: :(

iMan

ashawley

Website
www.
Keep checking the upgrades. I know there is a "missing playlists bug" that is supposed to be fixed soon.

Check the iPod Support thread at JRiver.

Adam

iMan

Thanks Adam, I am now on 9.1.311 and still no joy! :(

I will explain exactly what I am doing and what happens, so if I am doing something wrong, some kind soul might put me out of my misery.

After restoring the iPod, I launch MC9 and initialise the pod, I then click on the iPod icon and select all music in the dialog box. At this stage the transfer goes smoothly and all my music is on the iPod. However if rip some new CD?s, close MC9, put the iPod in the dock, start MC9 and click on the iPod icon, the dialog box appears and even tells me how much space will be left, a box shows the songs transferring, but after syncing the new albums/songs do not show on the pod, I get a blank play list (nothing in it) ? :confused: :(

The strange thing is, if I look in Settings -> About, the space has gone ??? :confused:

I cannot believe I am the only one with this problem so I assume I am doing something wrong. I am very frustrated and would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in anticipation.

iMan

ashawley

Website
www.
Don't use the "All Music" smartlist. That one has been causing problems. Make you're own smartlist and sync w/that. Just add the rule, File Type=mp3.

There is a bug that Steve is trying to figure out but hasn't been able to relating to disappearing playlists. I think you'll find that if you browse>artists>albums, the tunes are on there, just your playlists are gone.

If you run into the disappearing playlist problem here is the quickest workaround:

Right click the iPod and select "Rebuild iPod Database", this should take 5-10 minutes.

Sync again, and your playlists will be on there.

Adam