Updating iPod with no battery, literally

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hammyboy21

I bought a battery replacement kit for my 5G iPod video, and to make a long story short the operation when bad. Now my iPod literally has no battery in it. It still works when I plug it in to an AC adapter or car charger, but when I plug it into my computer to update it, my iPod gives me the message about very low battery, please wait, which I can understand. I was wondering if anyone could think of inventive ways of being able to update this hunk of junk? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, as I have listened to all of my 11000 songs and need new ones! :D

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I do not guarantee this will work but..... find yourself an old Dual Firewire/USB cable (try eBay), then power the iPod with a FW adapter, then sync via the USB plug.

It's a Y-cable with both a FW and USB plugs.

Maybe ezier to get athat battery thing fixed.

hammyboy21

yeah thats what I was thinking as well. I found some for pretty cheap new, so I will try that and see if it works. Thanks for quick reply. Any one else have any ideas about this in case this doesnt work?

FredWasTaken

hammyboy21 said:
yeah thats what I was thinking as well. I found some for pretty cheap new, so I will try that and see if it works. Thanks for quick reply. Any one else have any ideas about this in case this doesnt work?
I've no idea what I'm talking about, but if you've removed the battery and so now when you connect the iPod to a PC it doesn't do anything, then perhaps you need to connect the points the battery would normally connect to to complete the circuit, and then connect to your pc as normal. Wouldn't that work? Or connect the points to a charged battery of the same voltage as the normal iPod one so the PC can see that the iPod is charged.

That warning again - i've never done this before (well, not on an iPod) and it may well cause more problems so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

hammyboy21

Haha, well thats easier said than done. Heres the full story:
When I opened my iPod to replace the battery, the battery cable clasp (which holds the cablef from the battery to the motherboard) was broken into 3 parts. I realized i was immediately f-ed. I tried using a drop of krazy glue on the back of the new cable to hold it to the motherboard which worked, but after many hours of charging the new battery just didnt seem to be connected right because as soon as I unplugged it, it would cut off. I tried to pull the cable out of the socket on the motherboard, but ended up pulling the whole connection off the motherboard.:D Now there is absolutely no place to connect a new battery to, and the only way I can think of fixing this is to replace the whole motherboard which I really dont feel like doing. I wonder what Apple would say if it took it to one of their stores? "Uh, sir, there is no battery in your ipod and the connection for it seems to somehow have been ripped off." HAHA. Thanks for the reply tho!

Staszek

hammyboy21 said:
Haha, well thats easier said than done. Heres the full story:
When I opened my iPod to replace the battery, the battery cable clasp (which holds the cablef from the battery to the motherboard) was broken into 3 parts. I realized i was immediately f-ed. I tried using a drop of krazy glue on the back of the new cable to hold it to the motherboard which worked, but after many hours of charging the new battery just didnt seem to be connected right because as soon as I unplugged it, it would cut off. I tried to pull the cable out of the socket on the motherboard, but ended up pulling the whole connection off the motherboard.:D Now there is absolutely no place to connect a new battery to, and the only way I can think of fixing this is to replace the whole motherboard which I really dont feel like doing. I wonder what Apple would say if it took it to one of their stores? "Uh, sir, there is no battery in your ipod and the connection for it seems to somehow have been ripped off." HAHA. Thanks for the reply tho!
Seems like alot of work, try buying a used 5g video on ebay, I know its the more expensive answer but at least it will work.