UPDATED: Simple Guide for iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tdonnellyem

honeybee1236 said:
You can remove it from the iPod hard drive whenever you want. I use them both and haven't had any problems with using them nor transferring songs back to the PC with either. I've also use iPod Agent and still have that on my PC and use it with no problems.

The best thing to do to protect yourself is to always set the iPod to manual instead of auto even if you do it before you disconnect. You won't have this problem of losing your music when you connect it to the PC.
hey honeybee,
my question is this: im planning on keeping yamipod on my ipod. can i put itunes back into auto-sync mode AFTER i transfer my library from my ipod back to my pc. i am using xp os. thanks again for your help

Yes you can. You just can't open and use YamiPod and iTunes at the same time. But you can keep it on the HD and auto sync the iPod with iTunes w/o any problems.

karmakoma

Website
www.livejournal.com
Ok, so I've read through a bunch on threads and posts regarding this issue, and I'll appologise if my first post here is just a rehash of previous discussions but...

I need to send my iPod back to Apple to replace the battery (shocker, I know) but I don't want to lose my music. I have 2000+ songs saved to the iPod not to iTunes (I now realize what a mistake that was), so I need to move all my music back into iTunes (if possible) or at the very least, my laptop. But then when I get my iPod back I obviously need to put the music back on to it.

Wheather I use a 3rd party program or not, does this work, what are my options, and in everyone's evperiance, what's the best way to accomplish this?

Last edited:
Read the first post. The information on how to do this is already posted and there isn't any need to retype the same thing again.

dsmviking

Ipodcopy vs Copypod

Can anyone with experience vouch for either of these programs - or better yet, someone who has used both? Is one better thatn the other?

Thanks!

-the viking

Go into the iPod HD and look for the videos and move them to the desktop. You should be able to do this the same way as music. I haven't tried it because I back up my library to disk and my iPod had to be sent back to Apple to be replaced.

petrags23

For people that don't download music from the ITMS, can you still burn music from iTunes using iTunes' CD burner and burn the songs to data CDs to keep the ID3 tags?

battlecat

Re: A Simple Guide to Avoid Having iTunes Delete the iPod Library

I'm sorry but could you clarify the use of the CTRL + ALT + SHIFT combo?

My iTunes is on auto-sync, and I connected it and tried that combo but still, it auto-sync'd. Is that combo supposed to stop auto-syncing? Stop iTunes from opening? Stop iTunes from displaying your iPod in the sidebar????? (Is the sidebar the source list pane?)

What I'm trying to do is use my iPod on a brand-new Laptop.

So... how am I supposed to stop my iPod from auto-syncing the first time I connect? If when using the CTRL + ALT + SHIFT combo, it takes the iPod off the sidebar, then.... how am I supposed to tell iTunes to do manual sync?

I think my concerns boils down to this question...

If I set my regular computer to make the iPod manual sync, will it Manual sync with every other computer I connect it to?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry it took so long to respond to your question.

When setting the iPod to manual it will remain in that mode until you change it back to auto. It will not auto sync with any computer you connect it to.

Ctrl + Alt + Shift will stop the iPod from auto sync'ing. You need to press and hold all 3 keys at the same time and not let go of them for about 10 seconds after connecting. On my computer I can use Ctrl + Shift to do the same thing.

Plus clicking on the small "x" in the iTunes window on the right side will stop the iPod from auto updating as well.

battlecat

honeybee1236 said:
Sorry it took so long to respond to your question.

When setting the iPod to manual it will remain in that mode until you change it back to auto. It will not auto sync with any computer you connect it to.

Ctrl + Alt + Shift will stop the iPod from auto sync'ing. You need to press and hold all 3 keys at the same time and not let go of them for about 10 seconds after connecting. On my computer I can use Ctrl + Shift to do the same thing.

Plus clicking on the small "x" in the iTunes window on the right side will stop the iPod from auto updating as well.
great thanks!!

vposey

I just need ITunes Back

I have (or at least I think I have) read through this thread in detail. But the question I have not seen clearly answered is this. The hard drive on my latop failed and had to be replaced. I did have a backup of all my music files on an external HD. Now that I have my laptop back with a new hard drive, I want to get things back to normal. Is there an easy way to get the list of songs I had in ITunes (along with my playlists) back in ITunes. And if I put the ITunes Master file back in the same place where it was on the old hard drive will all the songs syn up?

You would need to back up these two files to get the playlist back:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-backing-up-ipod-and-itunes-music/

You will need to download iTunes and point it to your iTunes music folder on the external HD. Then go to File>Add folder to library and wait until it finishes. The music will sync to iTunes & your iPod if itunes is pointing toward the library.

If you didn't save the files stated in the above link then you will have to recreate your playlists. If you have to do this you can also use this method to make it easy to recreate playlists:
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=159937

If you ever need to recreate them in the future this will make it easy. It's just another option you can use but it works as long as you have the songs & takes less time.

Vic500

Hi there. I've looked at your tips at the start of the thread, but I still need some help.

I've lost all my songs on my itunes and don't want to re-connect my ipod to my comp cos I don't want to lose them all. I cant seem to stop the automatic synchronization which I believe will stop it. When I go Edit>preferences>ipod nothing else comes up cos it says Ipod is not connected. But obviously I don't want to connect the ipod cos then I'll lose everything. I'm in a vicious cycle at the moment. Can anyone help!

NPA

Brilliant note - can you help me please? I have downloaded V7 & cannot play music now. It almost looks like the track is frozen at the start. I have rang Apple & been told to either reformat itunes (and then follow note 60983) or downgrade to V6.0.5 - what do I do? How do I downgrade (tried but says later version on computer). Is this all necessary? Is it worth waiting for a fix?

At the moment I rue the day I was prompted to upgrade!

NPA

Also, where can I find the source pane? What does it look like?

By now you should have noticed a separate thread for iTunes 7 known issues sticky and post on that thread any problems your having with using it.

To reinstall a previous version of iTunes you first must uninstall the current version.

The source list is in iTunes and says 'source' listing the library, playlists, iPod when attached. It's the column on the left hand side on iTunes.