UPDATED: Simple Guide for iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

NPA

Thanks- have now upgraded & have no probs (hopefully!)

That's good. I've noticed after upgrading that my problems with the previous iTunes has been resolved so I'm happy.

silvery

I am planning to restore my windows computer (not via system restore, but using the recovery discs) back to factory, so wiping everything, my main question is about iTunes purchases, especially the games and movies.
I have done the following:

1. I backed up my iTunes purchases as described in Apple's How to back up your media in iTunes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302392) using 1 DVD (for 1 game, 1 movie, 3 tv shows, 1 song ).

2. I backed up the iTunes Folder as described in iLounge's The Complete Guide to Backing Up iPod & iTunes Music to save my library and playlists.

3. My music is already backed up to external drives.

4. I backed up playlists as described in Apple'sHow to backup and restore playlists (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93763)

5. I am about to de-authorize the computer as described in Apple's About iTunes Store authorization and deauthorization (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014) - is this necessary as well?

Do I need to do anything else? After I restore and install iTunes again, I only need to insert the iTMS "recovery disc" to add my games, movies, and tv shows back? What about podcasts and what about podcast subscriptions - is that linked to my Apple ID?

Thanks!

update: 10-10, in case anyone was wondering, I recovered the comp, re-installed iTunes, used the recovery disc created in step 1 above, authorized the computer, and things seem to be fine EXCEPT my game is not there, did some googling found that a mac user had a similar experience and contacted Apple and they just let him get it again, with no word as to how to back it up. So I did that, and hopefully they can help. The game does seem to be on the disc however, in a folder called iPod Games at around 14 MB, why it doesn't get restored when you insert the recovery disc and it asks if you want to restore, I do not know. I tried pasting the folder into the iTunes folder in My Music but that didn't help. :(

Last edited:

coffeebrown83

can someone better explain to me exactly what it means to sync or manage music? My library is starting to take up TOO much room on my hard drive, however whenever i delete a song off my hard drive it is removed from my ipod, i am not real clear on how to have music on my ipod without having it take up space on my PC, any help is appreciated :)

coffeebrown83 said:
can someone better explain to me exactly what it means to sync or manage music? My library is starting to take up TOO much room on my hard drive, however whenever i delete a song off my hard drive it is removed from my ipod, i am not real clear on how to have music on my ipod without having it take up space on my PC, any help is appreciated :)

Welcome to iLounge. You have your iPod set to auto sync instead of manual. What you need to do is connect the iPod to iTunes and on the summary tab check the 'manually manage music' box. This will allow you to remove the songs from the computer hard drive but they will stay on the iPod. Just make sure you have your library backed up before you delete the songs. If you should ever have problems with your iPod and can't remove the music from it then you will lose it.

It is advisable to burn your library to data DVD's or CD's if you don't have a DVD burner on your computer. You can set iTunes under preferences to burn a data disk. This will preserve your songs tags.

laxman509

For the programs that copy songs from the ipod onto a pc, will the songs still have their ratings when you import them onto itunes?

S2_Mac

Sure, no prob. You kinda need three hands to do this: Fire up iTunes; press and hold Shift-Control (PC) or Command-Option (Mac); while still holding the keys down, connect the iPod; while still holding the keys down, wait for a dialog to appear asking if you want to sync; click "no"; IIRC, keep holding down the keys until the iPod appears in the Source column.

Now you can set the iPod prefs to disable auto-syncing until you get things sorted out. (Select iPod in the Source column on left side of iTunes window; click the Summary tab; check the "Manually manage music and videos" box; click the Apply button(!).)

laxman509 said:
For the programs that copy songs from the ipod onto a pc, will the songs still have their ratings when you import them onto itunes?
Sharepod. This information is listed on the first post and the link to check the website for additional information just in case the software has been updated to include added on features.

Germansuplex

I've noticed a small but handy update in the most recent version in iTunes:

I am meticulous about my tags. I noticed that before, when changing caps in an album name, everything would update except for coverflow mode. For instance, changing "I can't stop" to "I Can't Stop" would result in the iPod and such being changed to reflect it, but coverflow mode would still have "I can't stop" underneath the art. The only workaround I knew of was to remove the song/s from iTunes and readd it, which is highly inconvient, or the other method of renaming it to something different and then re-naming it. However, now, simply changing the caps results in an immediate update for coverflow.

It seems superficial, but every little convenient fix helps.

aznskaterchick

i just wanted to leave note saying iDump is AMAZING. its a small program - doesn't take up much space at all and it's sole function is to copy songs from ipod to hard drive...i had a hard drive failure and iDump was totally my saviour!!

WMarkJ

does idump keep all your tag info intact (song, album titles, ratings, comments, etc)?

iPodRip will do it but it's not free. It will transfer only your data back to iTunes as long as the songs are already in iTunes or you can transfer songs, movies & videos. I used it since my iPod was on manual and I only needed to transfer the data from each song. It worked great and kept all tag information intact for the songs, movies & videos I needed to transfer to iTunes. It does playlists as well.

Rohan36

Honeybee.....I am new to the iLounge and have been looking for your guide on the 'parameter is incorrect' error message that some users have been getting.

I am trying to copy music files from my iPod to my computer hard disk using SharePod. I am trying to copy 190 songs and have been able to copy 100 but get the 'parameter is incorrect' on the last 90.

Do you have any suggestions so I can copy the rest?

Thanks

That message may mean the song title + artist name is to long. Most apps have a limit on characters that can be used. Try shortening the name of the song and/or artists name on those songs. If your transferring artist/title/album then shorten the info or remove one. You can correct it in iTunes once it transfers.

Other option:
You can try another app like YamiPod or iDump which both are free to remove the remaining songs or use one with a free trial option.

schnak22

work with iphone?

what program or method is there for the iphone..because most of the ones shown only work with ipods

Most of the software has been updated to include the current iPods & iPhone. Just check the websites. The iPhone will play the same files the iPod plays. I still use the same converted files I had before the iPhone came out.

When asking questions post your OS platform - windows or mac. You can use Handbrake (mac & windows).

Last edited:

pablin77

Honeybee-
I had roughly 90% of my music stored on an external hard drive and 10% of my music stored on my computer. Recently I lost my hard drive and am trying to clarify the easiest way for me to restore all my music to a new hard drive.

What is confusing me is the following:

1) Of all the freeware and pay software out there, what is going to be the best solution to move the files to the new hard drive?

2) How do I keep all my ratings, genre's, playlists in tact? Would all of these ratings be stored on my computer (and therefore safe?), are they on my Ipod and can be transfered to the new hard drive? Or are they lost for good when my old hard drive crashed?

3) I did create backup data CD's for about 80% of my music...but I am trying to avoid using these as I am concerned I would lose not only some of the songs I didn't back up...but also lose all the ratings/playlists I created.

Thru separate posts I felt that I heard some various ways to go about this...However, I have roughly 4K songs I need to recover and don't won't to risk messing things up by taking advice from multiple sources. If you can walk me thru what you recommend it woudl be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

mchrm0

Switcher witha doubt!!!

Hi! i just bought a new macbook and its arriving this weekend, im a switcher and i wanted to know how can i transfer my itunes library to my new macbook once it arrives??? i mean playlists and all, i have invested a lot of time on my playlists and would like to have them on my new mac. My library is curently located on a time capsule hardrive and i'm using windows vista. :confused:
CAN anyone help ME??;)

ooo i forgot i have an iphone 3g that is currently synced with my library, does that make a difference???

Last edited by a moderator: