UPDATED: Simple Guide for iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
iTunes will not sync music onto the iPod. When it shows up in the source list just go to edit>preferences>ipod & set it to manual or she can make a playlist of the music she likes and you can set the iPod to sync to the playlist.

If you have an iPod you can see the settings when your iPod is connected.

noelty

Honeybee I need your help!!! I have approximatley 10,000 songs in my iTunes library. About 7,000 of those songs are on my iPod. I have about 20 playlists/smart playslists, most songs rated.

Last week my boot drive took a dump. Fortunatley I have all my music backed up on an external drive. My iTunes library is on a second internal drive. When I reloaded iTunes software on my computer I pointed iTunes to the iTunes music folder on the second drive...I first copied the XML file to my external drive. All my music is back in iTunes...but all the playlist, playcounts and ratings are not.

I am trying to get iTunes to look like it did before the boot drive took a dump...I am trying to restore the playlists, playcount and ratings. As of right now I have all my music but none of the important data that goes along with it...help!

One more thing...I have not yet synchronized my iPod with iTunes...all the ratings and playlists are still intact on the iPod. I tried CopyPod without success and the folks from Wind SOlutions are in Australia nad sloooow getting back to me. Wondering if you have further advice.

Last edited:

ghffghff

Re: A Simple Guide to Avoid Having iTunes Delete the iPod Library

honeybee1236 said:
4-Stopping the Automatic Synchronization

If you have no songs in iTunes and the only place you have a copy of your songs is on your iPod then:
a)connect the iPod to the computer
b) immediately press and hold the Shift + Alt + Ctrl keys (if on a Mac it's Command + Option)
c)hold these keys for about 3 seconds after the iPod appears in the source list pane before releasing.
Does this work for iTunes 4.9? And is there any way to change it without plugging the iPod in?

sixzero

Website
gamingdynasty.com
another stupid question

Honeybee you are by far the most helpful person on this site but like most members I would love for you to address my question. I have been reading the thread and forum but still am not sure if the manual synch is for me.

I currently have all my music in itunes the majority of my music came from cd's and a small amount of music is from downloading (but music I do not want to lose). Since all my music is in itunes I just have it on autosynch and it works fine for me everytime. I read your many suggestions about putting it on MANUAL ... I'm scared that if I make any changes I will mess something up and my ipod is working pretty good right now and I dont want to risk that.

My question is: what are the benefits of putting it in manual compared to autosynch.

I know you suggest putting it in manual but how do I know it's for me?

I'd like to say thankyou for all the countless time youve put into helping ipod newbies like myself. I don't even think I've started using my ipod to its full capabilities.

Thank you. You don't have to use the iPod on manual. I only suggested it because so many are posting the same question of deleting their library and/or erasing their iPod contents. Manual helps to keep from doing this since no one likes to back up their library until this happens to them.

If you keep you library backed up then don't worry about using manual sync. If your library gets erased some how then you can easily replace it. Just make sure the songs that you've downloaded are burned to a disk.

Garfieldkat

A very handy guide indeed

Hi Honeybee,

This is indeed very handy, although I seem to be having some trouble. I followed your instructions and managed to get as far as revealing the hidden music files via MyComputer. I tried to drag the folders to the desktop, but then the folders showed up as empty when I tried to see what their properties were. I tried dragging each song one by one, but I can only create short cuts or get the message "cannot copy (insert file name) the parameter is incorrect"

It then scared me by seemingly erasing all my files. My iTunes library was empty, it told me the iPod was empty and when disconnected my iPod, the iPod told me it was empty, despite it looked like several gigs were being taken up by...something.

I reset the iPod and it appears I have everything, but that was very scary. :eek: Maybe I'm stupid or there's something else I need to do, but I don't want to take the chance of the iPod possibly spontaneously erasing my music. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Click open the iPod HD & remove the music folder to your desktop first & then open it and remove the songs in each folder. You can use software to remove the songs.

chrissmith999

I have just read through this entire thread and must say it's the most useful thread I've come across so far.

However, although I have the same problem as many who have posted to this thread, I don't believe the full solution is presented here.

My situation is that I have also had my hard drive die on me and now I have all my music plus ratings and play counts etc on my ipod. I do have all my music backed up to an external hard drive but what I didn't do was back up the library files from the itunes directory.

Oh and I was running under XP but have now bought an ibook so need a solution in the Mac world.

So whilst I can recover my songs either from the external hard drive or the ipod (using one of the many links oferred) how do I get my ratings and other info back? Can I? I can't tell you the number of times I've almost crashed my car whilst rating songs on the move - the thought of having to rate everything again is seriously depressing.

Please help !

Chris.

EricScott

Restoring Music from iPod to a Reformatted Hard Drive in XP

Audrey,

I posted this somewhere else but given how informative your replies have been I figured I would post my question here as well.

My hard drive just crashed on my Dell PC (XP Pro) and I don't have a complete backup of my iTunes library. I have a 3G - 20GB iPod running v.2.3 (the latest I believe) of the iPod software and have always used iTunes with automatic updating enabled and the Disk Use option disabled.

What I would like to do is transfer all of the files on my iPod to the new hard drive that I am having installed on my Dell. I'm not overly concerned w/ the library info but am very concerned about maintaining the file naming/organization structure I currently have as I do not let iTunes organize my music folder - basically:

[Artist]/[Album]/[Track #] - [Track Name]

So if I understand what you have posted in this thread, I should:

1) Use either SharePod or YamiPod to transfer the files to my PC. Which program would you recommend? I ultimately will delete the program once the files are on my PC and use iTunes so I want to make sure that uninstalling isn't a problem. Do both of these programs require the "Enable Disk Use" option to be turned on? If so, see #2.

2) I should install iTunes and the first time I connect my iPod, make sure I use the ctrl-alt-shift technique and turn off a) automatic sync and b) automatically starting iTunes when I connect my iPod. I should also turn on the "Enable Disk Use" option so that the program chosen in #1 above can work (assuming this option is required)

3) I should use the program from #1 above to copy the files to my hard drive - ideally into the folder structure that I want.

4) I should uninstall the program from #1 above

5) I should import all of the files into iTunes using the "Add Folder to Library" command (making sure of course that Copy to iTunes Library is turned off in the settings so I don't get duplicates)

6) Create my playlists, etc and sync

Is the above correct?

My biggest question relates to the enable disk use requirements of the various programs. If one program doesn't require it and can easily be unistalled, then I can avoid the installing iTunes until all of the music is safely on my PC - that would definitely make me more comfortable.

Thanks so much for your help - I obviously really only have one chance at this and don't want to mess it up.

Eric

Re: Restoring Music from iPod to a Reformatted Hard Drive in XP

EricScott said:
Audrey,

I posted this somewhere else but given how informative your replies have been I figured I would post my question here as well.

My hard drive just crashed on my Dell PC (XP Pro) and I don't have a complete backup of my iTunes library. I have a 3G - 20GB iPod running v.2.3 (the latest I believe) of the iPod software and have always used iTunes with automatic updating enabled and the Disk Use option disabled.

What I would like to do is transfer all of the files on my iPod to the new hard drive that I am having installed on my Dell. I'm not overly concerned w/ the library info but am very concerned about maintaining the file naming/organization structure I currently have as I do not let iTunes organize my music folder - basically:

[Artist]/[Album]/[Track #] - [Track Name]

So if I understand what you have posted in this thread, I should:

1) Use either SharePod or YamiPod to transfer the files to my PC. Which program would you recommend? I ultimately will delete the program once the files are on my PC and use iTunes so I want to make sure that uninstalling isn't a problem. Do both of these programs require the "Enable Disk Use" option to be turned on? If so, see #2.
You do need to enable disk use. For what you want to do just download & install iPod Agent (link in 1st post). It has a 30 day full use before you have to pay & use that. Just read the instructions to set the format in which to transfer the files back to the PC.

2) I should install iTunes and the first time I connect my iPod, make sure I use the ctrl-alt-shift technique and turn off a) automatic sync and b) automatically starting iTunes when I connect my iPod. I should also turn on the "Enable Disk Use" option so that the program chosen in #1 above can work (assuming this option is required)
You don't have to install iTunes 1st. Just use iPod Agent 1st & do the transfer. It will save all info on the iPod (ratings, play counts, etc.).

3) I should use the program from #1 above to copy the files to my hard drive - ideally into the folder structure that I want.
iPod Agent will do this for you after you set the format structure that you want.

4) I should uninstall the program from #1 above
No you don't have to uninstall the program. It you like it you can eventually purchase it and use it as well as iTunes. iPod Agent will also transfer info to the Notes, Calendar, etc.

5) I should import all of the files into iTunes using the "Add Folder to Library" command (making sure of course that Copy to iTunes Library is turned off in the settings so I don't get duplicates)
iPod Agent will transfer the songs into the iTunes library I believe directly. Check the help section to be sure of this. I haven't used it in a while since I switched computers. Also make sure that iTunes is pointing toward the music folder before you add the music to the library (Edit>Preferences>Advance) and set it to the music folder.

6) Create my playlists, etc and sync
You can review this article if you would like to use software that will rebuild your playlist from the iPod. The only thing is you will have to purchase it to use the formatting section to set the format order that you specified you wanted to use:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer/
Click on the 'Notes & Tips' link (here) at the bottom>then on the 'Quick Guide' to review the software 1st.

If you don't mind doing a manual rebuild then use iPod Agent since you get the full use of it without having to purchase it first.

Is the above correct?

My biggest question relates to the enable disk use requirements of the various programs. If one program doesn't require it and can easily be unistalled, then I can avoid the installing iTunes until all of the music is safely on my PC - that would definitely make me more comfortable.

Thanks so much for your help - I obviously really only have one chance at this and don't want to mess it up.

Eric
You don't have to install iTunes first. You can wait until you have transferred the music back to the computer and when you use iPod Agent just set it to transfer back to a music folder on the PC.

chrissmith999 said:
I have just read through this entire thread and must say it's the most useful thread I've come across so far.

However, although I have the same problem as many who have posted to this thread, I don't believe the full solution is presented here.

My situation is that I have also had my hard drive die on me and now I have all my music plus ratings and play counts etc on my ipod. I do have all my music backed up to an external hard drive but what I didn't do was back up the library files from the itunes directory.

Oh and I was running under XP but have now bought an ibook so need a solution in the Mac world.

So whilst I can recover my songs either from the external hard drive or the ipod (using one of the many links oferred) how do I get my ratings and other info back? Can I? I can't tell you the number of times I've almost crashed my car whilst rating songs on the move - the thought of having to rate everything again is seriously depressing.

Please help !

Chris.
The free options are:
-You can use 'Senuti' (http://wbyoung.ambitiouslemon.com/senuti)
-How to migrate from PC to Mac. This method will transfer all files:
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/

I don't know how easy it will be for you but if you want an easier method then transfer the files from the iPod. When you transfer from the iPod the ratings & playcounts will transfer also.

The pay options are:
PodUtil - this will copy all info for a fee. You must pay to use the advanced features which is what you want to do:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer/

My suggestion is to use YamiPod and make sure you read the documantation & see the screenshots before use so you can set it to transfer back in the format you want.
http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

EricScott

Re: Re: Restoring Music from iPod to a Reformatted Hard Drive in XP

honeybee1236 said:
You do need to enable disk use. For what you want to do just download & install iPod Agent (link in 1st post). It has a 30 day full use before you have to pay & use that. Just read the instructions to set the format in which to transfer the files back to the PC.
Thanks so much for the detailed response. One question - you say I don't need to install iTunes first but how else do I enable Disk Use? If I read the iPod Agent FAQ it says I need to enable Disk Use through iTunes.

Otherwise makes sense - will give it a shot.

Eric

Try connecting the iPod first because disk use may already be enabled. If it's not then check iPod Agent because it will allow you to enable it I believe. Check the settings. It's been a while since I've used it since switching to Mac but I think it will allow you to do this. If the iPod mounts then you can transfer the songs w/o using iTunes first.

EricScott

Audrey,

You are right - I connected my iPod to a backup computer yesterday after installing iPod Agent (iTunes was not installed) and it recognized the iPod and allowed me to copy all the music off of it and named the songs based on the convention I specified. Left it to run overnight and it looks like it got all of my 15+GB of music safely onto the hard drive. Thanks so much - exactly what I was looking for.

A few interesting things that I noticed which aren't a huge deal:

1) Long filenames were truncated - I can probably use some sort of tagging program to recreate the full filenames from the tags - what would you recommend?

2) In the comment field of the ID3 tags, there is some weird code for each file - assuming that this somehow refers to where the file is stored on the iPod

3) A few filenames didn't transfer properly and show up just as ZYMG for example (seems to always be 4 random capital letters). It seems that most of my iTunes music store AAC files had this problem. Fortunately I don't have too many of those.

Thanks again for all of your help and your quick responses.

Eric

EricScott said:
Audrey,

You are right - I connected my iPod to a backup computer yesterday after installing iPod Agent (iTunes was not installed) and it recognized the iPod and allowed me to copy all the music off of it and named the songs based on the convention I specified. Left it to run overnight and it looks like it got all of my 15+GB of music safely onto the hard drive. Thanks so much - exactly what I was looking for.

A few interesting things that I noticed which aren't a huge deal:

1) Long filenames were truncated - I can probably use some sort of tagging program to recreate the full filenames from the tags - what would you recommend?
There is a character limit to the transfer so edit the long names yourself or use software whatever you want to do.

2) In the comment field of the ID3 tags, there is some weird code for each file - assuming that this somehow refers to where the file is stored on the iPod

You will have to ask the originator of the software but you can delete them.

3) A few filenames didn't transfer properly and show up just as ZYMG for example (seems to always be 4 random capital letters). It seems that most of my iTunes music store AAC files had this problem. Fortunately I don't have too many of those.

Thanks again for all of your help and your quick responses.

Eric
Yes, that happened to me also with about 4 files. But I burn all of my iTMS songs to a disk after download and make data disk 1st. This will preserve the tags in the original order so they are easily replaced. I don't know why this happens unless it has to do with authorization and those songs weren't read as being authorized even tho they played on the iPod. You would have to email the creator to ask why.

Your welcome.

Last edited:

dewarner

I am trying to manage 2 iTunes Libraries - one on my PowerBook and one on my iMac G5. I want to be able to sync my iPods to the full library on the iMac routinely, and still be able to transfer songs using the library on the PowerBook when I am traveling. If set the library on the PowerBook to manage it manually will it allow me to connect without getting the warning that it will erase all songs on the iPod from the other library?

Thanks -

That warning will show up as long as you haven't checked the box 'do not show this again'. If the libraries don't match then you need to set the iPod to manually manage songs to keep it from updating when connected. As long as you have it set to auto sync then it will & delete any songs that are not in the library that your sync'ing it with.

You can use Senuti (http://wbyoungambitiouslemon.com/senuti) to remove any new songs from the iPod first, add them to the library & then switch over to auto sync w/o iTunes deleting the songs from the iPod.

The libraries must match.

tdonnellyem

ipod newbie

honeybee, from what i read you seem to be the guru on things. here is my problem. i have a photo/color ipod and was using my work computer (windows XP OS) to house my itunes library. i got a new job and was unable to backup my itunes library before i left(my fault i know). a friend of mine gave me an older laptop (also windows XP OS) and i am going to use that computer now. i know that i can manually put songs on my ipod-no big deal. i do like having the auto-sync though. any way to get the songs/artwork from my ipod to my new computer and keep it in autosync? thanks for your help. tim