UPDATED: Simple Guide for iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

TotallyLost88

Can anyone explain to me how you manually transfer songs from iTunes to the iPod? my CD won't work with the onscreen guide and all that, I just got my ipod today and it's stressing me out completely, I've already lost 70 songs, and then when I did have those 70 songs on it, it took up 1.5 gb already, that doesn't really add up if you can fit roughly 250 songs on 1 gb out of 4 gb on an ipod mini, and the songs were on lossless mode and most of them 4 minutes or under and I think 128 kbps as well. My family is kind of poor so I was extremely excited to get an iPod (20gb) and now it's like it wasn't worth it at all :-(

Please HELP!!!

TotallyLost88 said:
Can anyone explain to me how you manually transfer songs from iTunes to the iPod? my CD won't work with the onscreen guide and all that, I just got my ipod today and it's stressing me out completely, I've already lost 70 songs, and then when I did have those 70 songs on it, it took up 1.5 gb already, that doesn't really add up if you can fit roughly 250 songs on 1 gb out of 4 gb on an ipod mini, and the songs were on lossless mode and most of them 4 minutes or under and I think 128 kbps as well. My family is kind of poor so I was extremely excited to get an iPod (20gb) and now it's like it wasn't worth it at all :-(

Please HELP!!!

Welcome to the lounge.

1-In iTunes, go to Edit>Preferences>Importing and set the 1st to either mp3 or aac - 128k or whatever you'd like. If you use Apple Lossless or Wav the file will be to large and take up all of the space on the iPod even if you add a few songs.

2-Then go to Edit>Preferences>iPod - while it's connected and check the box marked "manually manage songs and playlists". This will set the iPod to a manual setting and you will be able to then drag-n-drop the songs onto the iPod.

3-Import the music from the CD onto the computer first and then transfer them onto the iPod. If you would like to delete the songs from the computer after your done just make sure the songs are on the iPod first and they play.

4-Also it would be a good idea, if you are going to delete the PC hard drive of music, to make a data CD of the music so that you won't have to import the songs from the CD again.

countrydame said:
Thank you Honeybee! Everything is back in tip top shape, except for me...oh well.

I have been searching for answer to this question, I know that I read it at one time just cant find it now...

Why does iTunes move the tracks around after importing them from a cd?

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again for the above help
iTunes moving files - no iTunes will placed the songs where you have selected. I think you just need to know where your files are being stored to find them once import has taken place. What I did was consolidate my music into one folder. Changing where music files are being stored

You can go to Edit>Preferences>Advance and see the file that the songs are being transfered into.

copying files into a central location

Last edited:

dignan

honeybee1236 said:
You can remove it from the iPod hard drive whenever you want. I use them both and haven't had any problems with using them nor transferring songs back to the PC with either. I've also use iPod Agent and still have that on my PC and use it with no problems.

The best thing to do to protect yourself is to always set the iPod to manual instead of auto even if you do it before you disconnect. You won't have this problem of losing your music when you connect it to the PC.
If you set to manual how can you get Itunes to recieve song ratings you've set on your Ipod? I thought you had to have automatc enabled for Itunes to update its ratings on songs you have rated on the ipod.

I don't use ratings in iTunes I only use it to transfer music. My ratings are on my iPod & I use live updating so that the songs are moved to the smart playlist that corrolates to the same starred rating.

1=delete and when I connect I remove from iPod & itunes.
2=maintenance
3 to 5 = playlists from most favored to best favored
I use on-the-go for specialized playlist.

I do everything on the iPod and really don't like to use auto update.
:) I'm hooked on manual.

dignan

honeybee1236 said:
I don't use ratings in iTunes I only use it to transfer music. My ratings are on my iPod & I use live updating so that the songs are moved to the smart playlist that corrolates to the same starred rating.

1=delete and when I connect I remove from iPod & itunes.
2=maintenance
3 to 5 = playlists from most favored to best favored
I use on-the-go for specialized playlist.

I do everything on the iPod and really don't like to use auto update.
:) I'm hooked on manual.
how are you adding stuff to your ipod w/o it screwing with your ratings? Please explain a bit more detailed.

im really trying to figure out the best way to use my Pod.

i don't buy cds, its all vinyl rips. So I only have 1 folder per genre, songs aren't divided into directories. So when I want to add new songs on my harddrive to Itunes I have to drag my entire genre folder. This gets kinda messy and is starting to annoy me. I have yet to figure out a good way to get what I want on my ipod from my collection.

thanks

I add songs by dragging them onto the iPod. That doesn't bother the ratings on the iPod. Just make sure iTunes is pointing to the folder with the music you want to add and use the file>add folder or add file to library. Put the songs in the same folder you want in iTunes.

signumnx

In order to MANUALLY transfer songs onto the iPod, I have to copy and paste songs DIRECTLY into the iPod from the menu in iTunes instead of: pasting songs into the library, right-clicking iPod in left menu, and selecting update? ANd if this is the way that I have to do it, then my Library and the songs on my iPod CAN be completely different?

You can transfer songs directly into iTunes first and then just highlight the songs and drag-n-drop the songs into the iPod icon in the source list. Most of my songs are imported from original CD's so I import into iTunes first & then into the iPod. I fix my songs before I transfer them onto the iPod.

-I increase the volume on the songs and
-I set the EQ on the songs

I keep mine on manual because not all of the songs I have in iTunes is on my 4G iPod. Some are only on my 3G iPod. My library is split between two iPods.

If auto sync works best for you then by all means use it. You have to use what's best for you. I'm hooked on manual and prefer it to auto sync.

signumnx

Will Soundcheck still work if I manually import songs onto the iPod? Will it perform the Sound Check the moment I paste the songs or does it Sound Check even when I paste the songs into the Library?

Manual only stops the auto sync and allows you to manually transfer songs/playlists onto the iPod or to do it directly on the iPod instead of iTunes.

It will not stop Sound check from working.

FYI: You can also set the volume of all songs by going to 'get info>option>volume and set the bar for all songs. To do the whole library at one time just go to edit>select all>get info.

Last edited:

moosington

Can you please clarify something.....

I have a 20Gig hard drive on my PC and a 60Gig i-Pod Photo (Windows). Im rapidly running out of space on the PC and have about double the amount of CDs to get onto the i-Pod......
I can only think of wiping the Drive on the PC and starting again to do this (Thats without buying a bigger hard drive or backing up the Files on the existing hard drive).

If i wipe the PC's hard drive, set i-Tunes autosync function to off, how can i transfer any new added tracks to the i-Pod ? Is this a track-vy-track process or can you bulk transfer, similar to how i current ly do it using "Update i-Pod" from the File Menu.

I'm sure ouve guessed im new to the pod and i-tunes. Forgive if this is too dumb a question.

:) Welcome to iPodlounge. The way I do this which is very easy is:
-in iTunes go to edit>preferences>iPod while connected
-set it to 'manually manage songs & playlists'
This will allow you to drag-n-drop the songs onto the iPod

Just highlight the songs you want to transfer
-highlight the first track then
-go to the last track & press the shift + left click the mouse
-this will highlight all the tracks you want to transfer to the iPod.
After the iPod is set to manual you can delete the songs from the PC and they will not be deleted from the iPod. Just make sure you don't auto sync after doing so.

It would be a good idea to back up your library before you do this just in case of a HD crash on your PC or the iPod's HD fail.

You can also create your playlist on the iPod while in manual mode. Just highlight the iPod in the source list and the smart or standard playlist will be created on the iPod & not in iTunes.

Post back if you need more help.

Valencia

Backing up downloaded music

Hi

I think this thread is great, I didn't realise that if you lost your downloaded songs from iTunes you would lose them forever. With regards to burning them as mp3/mp4 from iTunes I want to do this and create a data disc using Nero.

I have put all my purchased music into a playlist and I would like to find this playlist on my hardrive and then burn to cd. Is that possible to do? Or how else would I copy all my purchased music. I have 70 songs which burning as audio would take up several discs, thats why I want to make a data disc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

All purchased iTMS songs need to be burned in iTunes. Just go to Edit>Preferences>Burning and check the place next to data disc. Then you will be able to burn then as data.

If you use Nero then you need to transfer the songs from the music folder. You can't transfer the playlist from iTunes to Nero.

flapsforty

Hello Ms honeybee :)
Having read through this whole extremely informative thread repeatedly, and having done a search on my question, I am still unsure about something. Hoping that you will be kind enough to either explain or steer me in the direction of a thread that covers it.

I have set the pod to 'manual' as per your suggestion. I understand that to transfer songs from the PC to the pod, I can drag them from the library to the pod icon in iTunes. how am I doing so far? ;) B U T ...... as long as the pod's on autosync, the playlists I've created in iTunes will automatically update.
But now that it's on manual, what happens to a song I 'drag' to the pod icon? Where does it go on the pod and how do I get it into the playlist I want on the pod?
Is it a matter perhaps of putting the song in the desired playlist on iTunes and then dragging it to the pod or am I lost in the wilderness now? :confused:
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Hello flapsforty and welcome to the lounge. You have it right.

To add a song to a specific playlist on the iPod you can drag-n-drop it on the iPod which will put it in the main library on the iPod. Since in manual mode you can have access to the iPod library just drag-n-drop songs into the playlist of your choice.

If you want to create a playlist in iTunes first, do so, then transfer the playlist to the iPod icon by dragging-n-dropping the playlist onto the iPod icon in the source list and the songs will be added to the main library on the iPod & the playlist will show on the iPod in the playlist section.

If you have any other questions just post back.

flapsforty

Thank you; got it so far (I think!).

Next challenge is the new iPod arriving in the family tomorrow. We run one PC, with Xp installed and each family member has his/her own XP section.

The new iPod will no doubt come with it's own software, itunes installation etc etc. Since we already have itunes on the PC, do we need to install the one that comes with the new ipod as well, or can we just skip that?

Second question; to avoid the new ipod autosynching with itunes, we'll do your shift+Ctrl+Alt trick. Then itunes will not detect the ipod, correct?
So how do we proceed then to make itunes 'recognise' the new ipod so that we can then set the new pod to 'manual' and manage it that way?

apologies if these questions are not very clear, am trying very hard to formulate as best I can.:eek:

First, you don't have to install the disk. You can download the updater from Apple website:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download and use it to update or restore the iPod, whichever is available to click.

Second, No. You only need to do that if the iPod had music on it and your iTunes library was empty. That is not to stop iTunes from detecting the iPod but to stop iTunes from auto sync'ing the iPod and deleting the contents. You don't need to use this method for your first sync.

Just read the users guide first. And here is some info:
Here is the support page:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Here is an iPod tutorial
http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/index-sub.html?go=ip+ipod

flapsforty

Forgive me for being dense.
I have read, several times, both tutorials and all the instruction manuals I could find.

I think my question wasn't clear enough, I beg your indulgence ;) and will try again.

The 2nd iPod that arrives in the family will belong to my daughter. She obviously will not want to have my music (located in itunes) on her iPod. So when we connect her new pod to the PC, we do not want it to sync, so we use the shift+Ctrsl+Alt trick, correct?

To forestall any problems, I've tried the 'trick' with my own iPod and what happens is that the computer thinks that there is no iPod connected. So far so good.

Now when daughter connects her iPod, and we make sure it doesn't sync via the 'trick,' the next thing she will want to do is put her own iPod on 'manual'. If I have understood it correctly, the only way to put the pod on manual is via itunes. But then itunes does have to 'recognise' her iPod. How do I do that without it at the same time syncing her pod and uploading all my music onto hers?

... feeling more stupid by the minute here..... :confused: