Ug the new Shuffle is so stupid

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AmazingDM

I don't mean to make such a blasphemous title but it's how I feel. Where are the buttons on this thing? Oh, on the really crappy OEM headphones we included. Yeah thanks but no...

It just defeats the purpose really of having a Shuffle I think. I'm glad I've already moved on to Nanos..

Sid32

I agree. The can't use your regular headphones is a stupid decision. Plus for ten bucks more people in Canada can get a 4 gig zune... Does anyone else think the price point is two high and the lack of colors is a mistake....

deluge

Totally agree, the issue with the earbuds is a non-starter, I will not buy

Moving the controls from the device to the earbuds is a non-starter for me, I will not buy this device. Here's why:

This decision by Apple appears to render my very expensive high-end custom earphones from Ultimate Ears useless with the new ipod Shuffle. I don't want to be stuck using Apple's average earbuds, I want to use the $900 studio reference custom earphones I got from UE!

I will not buy this device.

And I encourage others who have third-party ear phones that they prefer over Apple's earphones, to vote with their wallets and not buy the new iPod Shuffle (until they make it compatible with any third-party earbud.

- Deluge

GregMac1213

I agree as well. I'll be passing on this one. Maybe I'll try and grab another 2G as a backup before they disappear. :(

Unwinking Orb

Is it April 1st already?

So I have to use stock earbuds?

Blimey. That's a bit rubbish....

Code Monkey

Like I've said in recent posts, the product concept has forced them into either abandoning the "Life is Random" mantra they launched the product with, or adding a screen and making a decent product. Apparently, Apple is so determined to stick with the "Life is Random" mantra rather than admit the product is ill conceived and ill placed in today's market that, well, DAPreview put it better than I could:
DAPreview said:
In what can only be described as a move to shut The Onion up, Apple just satirized themselves by creating the "Stupidest iPod ever."
Now, not only do they still have an overpriced, underperforming micro sized iPod (just how exactly do you go backwards on battery life???), they've figured out a way to force consumers into using their poor fitting, only slightly above average sounding, overpriced headphones (or at least selling similarly overpriced headphones for competitors who have embraced Apple's poorly conceived proprietary headphone based control scheme and paid licensing fees to Apple).

It's really funny to me because the one thing that got me to buy a 2G shuffle in spite of my reservations with the product was its simplicity - I bought it for my then 2 y.o. daughter because I could use a cheap set of over the head headphones that would fit a toddler and all she had to do was click one button to operate it. Now, even that is gone from the product. I don't even begin to grasp who they think this product is aimed at other than the blind, and I somehow doubt that's a large enough demographic to justify its production.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Just looked over the official website page for it... "ugh".

Apple's PR zombies can't even get it right: "The first music player that talks to you"

Um, ignoring that other players do this with Rockbox (and probably official versions I can't recall at the moment), I seem to recall Apple releasing something called a "Nahnoo" or something like that last September with this exact same feature.

It's bad enough Apple engages in their disreality field distortion regarding the rest of the real world, but now their own products?

Niz

GregMac1213 said:
I agree as well. I'll be passing on this one. Maybe I'll try and grab another 2G as a backup before they disappear. :(
:eek: your right! but theres always ebay right? i got it when it was £50 for the 1GB silver when it first came out and have used it for the gym past 3 years! great device but i use it with my own headphones as the supplied ones always fall out. New one doesn't appeal to me.

Legoman182182

You could get to of the low end walkmans for that price, and frankly they're a lot better.

Legoman182182

PS: Is that a shiny metal back I see? One of things that really irked me about my last nano was my ability to scratch it simply by looking at it or using it in a light breeze, so why put the same flaw on this shuffle as well?

Code Monkey

Niz said:
:eek: your right! but theres always ebay right? i got it when it was £50 for the 1GB silver when it first came out and have used it for the gym past 3 years! great device but i use it with my own headphones as the supplied ones always fall out. New one doesn't appeal to me.
Oh fear not, Apple's cynicism knows no bounds: when you go to the official pages for it, right at the top you'll see that they're still keeping the 2G 1GB shuffles available with no mention of anything about doing so for a limited time or anything like that. Nope, they'll be happy to sell you a 2G 1GB shuffle at the full price of $49 (for the near future at least) :rolleyes:

They knew this product would alienate a large enough chunk of customers so much that they'll keep on making the 2G shuffle in 1GB capacities (this probably costs them about $4/unit at this point), and they knew the alienation will be so strong that they think (and, sadly, they're probably right) they can keep on selling them at their full price of $49. If only the alienated customers would just buy something other than an Apple product for their "disposable" exercise player Apple might get a clue.

I've griped about a lot of Apple moves in my life, but I'm pretty certain the 3G shuffle just rose to the top of my "WTH were they thinking?" moves list.

GregMac1213

Niz said:
:great device but i use it with my own headphones as the supplied ones always fall out.
that's exactly my problem with the stock earbuds. sound quality and long-term comfort don't really matter if the poorly designed things don't stay in my ears while sitting still, much less while exercising. (maybe it's my ears that are poorly designed... but bottom line: they don't work for me.)

So now there's an added weight in the form of controls on one of the sides. yeah... that'll help them stay in place. sigh...

Until Apple comes out with a way to control iPods through telekinesis, they need to realize that we need buttons of some sort.

Astro_Digital

I do not know how I missed this but what a mistake.

The article looks dead on, who will buy this.

The stupidest iPod ever, maybe they will simplify the next classic the same way :)

Code Monkey

Astro_Digital said:
The stupidest iPod ever, maybe they will simplify the next classic the same way :)
Don't give them any ideas ;)

Maybe it's their way of finally killing the shuffle off? I'm at a loss. They concede the price for the capacity is too high, they concede that people need to be able to have more than one playlist, and they implement it by... removing all controls and leaving you with a 3 button on-headphone-cord scheme that requires you to have a computer talking over your music just to figure out what you just did with that particular click-combo.

I can't wait to see what the reviews for this dead out of the gate product are.

kornchild2002

I really am at a loss for words here. I like the form factor and new black/charcoal color and I don't mind using the factory standard earbuds (that is all I use with my 2G iPod shuffle since I don't want more expensive headphones getting dirty from me exercising). However, how can Apple slap an $80 price tag on this while not including a screen and producing 10 hours of audio playback? Let's look at the iPod shuffle's direct competition: the SanDisk Sansa Clip. SanDisk offers the clip in two colors at the 4GB capacity: silver/chrome and black. The unit weighs one ounce, has buttons on the device, a screen with a few lines of pixels for displaying basic information, has an FM tuner (something of which I don't think is needed but it is there), and SanDisk rates the device at 15 hours of playback (though, just like the old shuffle, it gets over 15 hours). The only thing that is "negative" about the Clip is that it is bigger than the 3G iPod shuffle. The Clip has dimensions of 2.2X1.4X0.6 (heightXwidthXdepth). The 3G iPod shuffle has dimensions of 1.8X0.7X0.3 and weighs 0.38 ounces (that is without the stock headphones). OK, so the iPod shuffle is smaller. What else does it have on the Clip? It can talk. Is it really so hard to take 1 second and look down at the screen to see what is playing?

I would rather have a slightly larger player that is $30 less, has better battery life, can work with ANY 3.5mm headphones out there, has a screen, and has controls on the device. I really don't know what Apple was thinking as they took a step back with everything but the size here. I never thought I would say this but the 2G iPod shuffle is the superior player despite having half (or one quarter) the capacity of the new iPod shuffle. The Apple design team really must have been smoking pot, crack lased pot, crack, snorting, shooting up, and drinking large amounts of Evan Williams (all at the same time) during every single design day.

I think Code Monkey might be onto something in that it is Apple's way of phasing out the iPod shuffle. I still don't understand the $80 price tag as Apple's iPod nano and iPod classic are really competitively priced (the iPod touch is and isn't, it depends on what you compare it to). I would never recommend this player even to my enemies, that would be too cruel.

I am waiting for someone to come along and defend this piece of ####. There is no need to skate around words here, the 3G iPod shuffle is in fact a piece of ####. This is not a matter of opinion, this is not a matter of preference, this is fact. So let's see if some blind Apple fanboy comes along and defends the 3G iPod shuffle.

I am anticipating iLounge's review as I am sure they are going to rip it a new one.

What were they thinking?

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
I think this new Shuffle is going to be very popular. It's a sub-$100 throwaway player, and they were able to cut material costs. Comments about deliberately sabotaging this market are ridiculous, why would they bother developing a totally new player to do that? The old Shuffle is still available, seems like the best of both worlds to me.

I understand peoples' complaints, but I like the ability to navigate among playlists. A lot of people here and elsewhere would like to use their own headphones, yet compared to the total population this is still an extremely small percentage. Most people buy this thing to run around the neighborhood while wearing the iconic white earbuds, that's it. Often the more hated a new Apple product is by Apple enthusiasts or gadget fans, the more popular it ends up being with general consumers.

The 'first music player that talks to you' is a nice marketing hook. I don't think the Nano actually spoke song titles and artists to you, did it? That's obviously what they meant.

Those looking for best value or traditional controls at sub $100 price point could always find a better choice in the Sansa Clip or other players, that was true even with the very first iPod Shuffle. Apple is not going to play in this price segment with a me-too product, for better or for worse.

Last edited:

Legoman182182

This should have had well designed buttons and a OLED display that you didn't see until text appeared. I think that apple particularly could have made this look impressive. The voice stuff would have been a nice extra for all the iPod models and the remote a welcome additional thought.

Unwinking Orb

Korn - you got it spot on there.

I watched the introductory video on the website (the girl was quite cute by the way), and it seems such a convoluted way of operating the shuffle that I am now viewing my old shuffle with renewed respect. I mean, would it REALLY have hurt to put the controls on the body?

This is a staggeringly bad product, and is clearly the daftest ipod of all times. It makes me very concerned for the next incarnation of the rest of the line-up.....

Orby.

Legoman182182

On the other hand, if the new nano does away with the menu in favour of gesture based controls at least I wont feel compelled to spend all my money. :) Equally optimistic is the idea that this will be extremely difficult for the chinese to knock off on eBay.

Bernardo Gaetani

I didn't like the new iPod Shuffle. I will replace my 1GB shuffle with a Sandisk Sansa Clip or a Zen Stone Plus with 4GB.