Two versions of iTunes on one PC

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Mariusz

Hi,
Is it possible to have two versions of iTunes on one PC (and using just one of them [with its respective library] at a time)?

cjmnews

Staff member
No.

Only 1 version of iTunes can be installed at one time.
The iTunes Library file is modified with each version so older versions can't open newer iTunes Library files.

Very limiting.

Mariusz

Well... Some people still think/thought that it can be done....

It doesn't matter where you want to install it, on a PC or a USB drive attached to it.
Either way, the PC system says: " A later version of iTunes is already installed on this computer".
And if you have an older version installed, the old files will be replaced by new ones...

cjmnews

Staff member
Well actually that thread is a completely different topic. This is where you use an internet connected system to get an updated version of iTunes to install it on a non-internet connected system. As the thread shows there is no issue with this.

And the statement you quoted above is the proof that only 1 version of iTunes can be installed on a computer at one time.

Next up, find a thread where an older iTunes can't read a newer library file, proving the second statement of my response.

Mariusz

So does that mean that if I have an older version of iTunes on my PC, I could install a newer version on a USB drive, still keeping the older version on my PC?

Mariusz

Well actually that thread is a completely different topic. This is where you use an internet connected system to get an updated version of iTunes to install it on a non-internet connected system. As the thread shows there is no issue with this.

And the statement you quoted above is the proof that only 1 version of iTunes can be installed on a computer at one time.

Next up, find a thread where an older iTunes can't read a newer library file, proving the second statement of my response.
P.S. I keep the iTunes 10 backup folder along with its exe file. So no problem returning.

cjmnews

Staff member
No. iTunes requires lots of hooks across the operating system to execute making the USB installation (which isn't even possible) not execute properly.

Having the iTunes.exe file will not help as a backup. You would need the iTunes Installation exe file for version 10 to ensure the ability to install an old version.
I am not sure what an iTunes 10 backup folder is exactly. You need a backup of the iTunes Library.itl (default name, yours may be different) file when it was last edited by iTunes 10 to roll back from a newer iTunes. If you do roll back you have to duplicate all changes made while under the new version.

It is not possible to install 2 versions of iTunes on one system. It is not possible for 2 different versions of iTunes to read the same library file as the newer version of iTunes will win.

Mariusz

By "exe file" I meant "installation exe file for version 10".
I still keep it.
By "iTunes back up folder" I meant the whole iTunes folder copied from my PC (located in "Music") to an external hard disk. And it includes iTunes Library.itl as well as all audio and video files.
There have been not so many changes since my last iTunes upgrade, so it would not involve a lot of work.
I would need to weigh pros and cons of returning to ver. 10. With it I would not be able to use iTunes store, among other things.
By the way, it's extremely annoying when Apple developers release new versions without being aware of consequences. I have spent a whole lot of time in the last few days finding solutions to that VBR problems which I started experiencing after the upgrade, and found lots of complaints online from the iTunes users...

cjmnews

Staff member
The backups you state should be enough.

The script could identify issues with what iTunes sees versus what is in the file and fix things if needed.
The ID3 update could resolve any old ID3 tag issues.

Mariusz

Well, it doesn't...
What actually works is creating MP3 (or other format) copies with a CBR (constant bitrate). That means some extra work after importing files into iTunes...
But who at Apple really cares...
Every new version means new problems.
They introduced a cover flow graphics (which was the reason why I kept version 10 for so long...) but in a short while they got rid of it... What was the problem with it?
Anyway, thank you for your assistance.