• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

TV/Movie release date/description tagging

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Arithon

Because I couldn't find anything to edit the description and release date video tags of my home movies, I wrote something myself.

I found Atomic Parsley to be great, but because it was command-line only in Windows, it was a pain to use.

So, I submit the "Atomic Parsley GUI for Windows"

It's written in .NET 2.0, so you need .Net Runtime (the installer will point you at it, if you don't have it).

If you have suggestions for modifications or improvements, please feel free to let me know.

It's freeware (obviously). Enjoy!

Last edited:

nish123456

my only criticism: have an option to disable the help bubble thing, it gets in the way a lot

other than that, it's fantastic, thanks very much

Palfince

The program doesn't seem to work on Vista Ultimate, keep getting an error message.

Arithon

What was the error

I assume you've got the .Net 2.0 Framework installed.

I've tested this under Vista and I haven't had any issues, but if you send me the error message, i'll get to fixing it.

I'm still "tuning" the application. I'm adding an "auto episode ID" (SxxExx) and some filename ->tag features.

The intention is to be able to get the "series" episode and title from the filename/folder and the cover art from a selected JPEG, according to user-selected preferences to mass tag files.

I've extended the wait period for the tooltip!

Arithon

New version soon

I've been working on version 2.

Here's some screen shots.

I encoded my box-set of Ultraviolet for watching at the gym.

You now get a tile view of the videos, grouped by series.

There is a "default" value for fields that remain the same file to file.

The new version may be Dot Net 3.5 framework, but it will be XP and Vista compatible.

I'm just polishing it a bit and working on resolving any UAC issues with Vista.

Bluerobin

I downloaded your software, and although very easy to use, I still get Unknown Release date on my ipod. What am I doing wrong?

Arithon

I'm not sure. Does the release date and description display in iTunes? If it does, it may be that the files just haven't re-sync'd to the iPod. Go to the TV or Movie TAB and untick the series or film. Sync, then go back, re-tick the item and sync it again. This will delete the current copy and force a sync of the newer files.

Let me know how you get on.

Bluerobin

The release date will not display in itunes. I have taken the videos off my ipod and re-synced them many times and still no release date on the ipod. The information is there when I look in Atomic Parsley, but for some reason won't transfer to the ipod. I spent hours on this saturday and yesterday looking for answers and nothing has worked so far.

Arithon

Did you tag the files before adding them to iTunes? Or did you tag them once they'd been added?

If the latter, try selecting the file in iTunes and arrowing up/down over the file. This usually causes iTunes to re-read the file and the description & release date are read (and then subsequently sync).

If not (and I know this sounds obvious) check the file in iTunes is the same one you are tagging. If you have the "copy to library" check option set, then iTunes creates a duplicate of your files in My Documents\My Music\iTunes when added to the library.

Bluerobin

I did tag them before I imported them into itunes. I actually have tried, Atomic Parsley, tagger and mp3tag as suggested in other places. The release date has appeared in all three programs, I have re-imported them into itunes many times and also deleting and re-syncing into the ipod. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have all my movies and tv shows stored on an external drive and import them rather than copy them into itunes. The import always points to the external drive and it has worked for everything very well until this and I am making sure that the file used is the most current one with the changes. I am about to give up. I guess it is just more irritating that I can't get it to work. So far I have been able to figure out most stuff in itunes but I am getting frustrated.

Cubbies2166

Incubus Guru
Is there any way for me to add this type of information to files that are already on my iPod? Usually after I add shows to my iPod I delete them from my computer.

Arithon

Short answer? I don't think so.

As I understand it, the iPod sync application (iTunes) makes up the iPod playlist and the information inside it at the time the device is sync'd. The iPod itself doesn't re-read the file to update itself.

So, probably not. (feel free to correct me anyone)

However, Parsely GUI would happily re-tag a file on the iPod, as it is just another disk (assuming you have disk mode enabled).

Arithon

New version available

Well, the new version of Atomic Parsley GUI is ready. There's still some tweaking to do, but I'll let everyone have a play while I fine tune to my hearts content.

:rolleyes: Download here Download here

Doctor Lore

I apologise if this is a bump, I found this by searching so I didn't see where it was. Thanks a lot for this program, the "Unknown release date" under every TV show on my iPod was really bugging me :p

Cubbies2166

Incubus Guru
Why is the release date off by one in iTunes? For example if I say November 8, 2004 in iTunes it says November 7, 2004, and it was like this for both your releases.

Bluerobin

I have figured out my problem with the release dates and maybe someone has a cure for it When I convert older tv series from the 60's and enter the release date and everything it saves fine but won't show up on my ipod But if the series is in the last few years, then the release date shows fine. Could there be any logic to that? Is it the iPod that has the issue or the software? I think it is the iPod because no matter what software I use to put in the release date, as long as it is in the 60's it won't show up on the ipod

Arithon

There may not be a cure (other than firware patch) as I suspect the date is a calculated figure (i.e. days since 1st January 1980 or some date significant to Apple and the iPod).

Since the sixties would be a negative figure, it doesn't calculate correctly and is assumed by the firmware to be "wrong" or "corrupted".

Bluerobin

That's about what I figured. Oh well, if they ever decide to fix it, then I will be happy but until then, I guess there's nothing much more I can do about it. But thank you for all your help. I do appreciate it alot.

VixenofVenus

Foxy Space Carnivore
Cubbies2166 said:
Why is the release date off by one in iTunes? For example if I say November 8, 2004 in iTunes it says November 7, 2004, and it was like this for both your releases.
Because it is a front-end GUI for Atomic Parsley and nearly all of the releases of Atomic Parsley had this problem. Since AP is out of development (at least the last time I checked they had stopped the project), it's just good to get in the habit of adding 1 to every date you enter.

So, yes December 31st, 2007 becomes 2007-12-32 ...
and January 1st, 1980 becomes 1980-01-02 ...

It seems a bit silly, but it's an easy fix. I've been dealing with it for so long I sometimes post date checks on accident.