Turning off SMS

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tcj

Website
www.knownjohnson.com
Before I bother dealing with AT&T, is there any way to have text messaging turned off entirely? I didn't port a number and instead got a new one, and with it apparently got the previous user's interests (I guess.) I've been receiving unwanted text messages from weird things that I have no interest in (not to mention the MANY calls from debt collectors looking for the previous phone number owner!) I have never texted in my life, nor do I ever plan on doing so - it's a useless feature to me since I have email on the Iphone. Can/will AT&T turn off SMS?

Mephiska

reply to them with the word "quit", and you will be removed from the distribution lists. That's what AT&T told me to do when I called them.

I got a new number with my phone and had the same thing happen. When you send back "quit" you get a reply confirming that you've been removed. At first I was getting a ton of messages like that, then I did the quit reply and now I haven't gotten one unwanted text in the last week.

tcj

Website
www.knownjohnson.com
Mephiska said:
reply to them with the word "quit", and you will be removed from the distribution lists. That's what AT&T told me to do when I called them.

I got a new number with my phone and had the same thing happen. When you send back "quit" you get a reply confirming that you've been removed. At first I was getting a ton of messages like that, then I did the quit reply and now I haven't gotten one unwanted text in the last week.
That seems deceptively simple. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks!

daihard

I want to disable SMS, too. My plan doesn't include SMS, and I don't wanna be charged for the text messages I don't want to receive.

tcj

Website
www.knownjohnson.com
Stay Alive 305 said:
Sending a message saying "QUIT" was unsuccessful. It just sent me a message saying my message was not delivered. :mad: This is getting annoying!
Can't tell yet in my case. One of them wrote me back and said "Quit what? :)" Great. This from the one that sent me (or, I assume, the former phone number owner) a VERY explicit text message. Hopefully that'll be it, however. I don't understand why sms has to be included as a service - why can't it be turned off except for messages from AT&T?

hardcle

I haven't had a problem on my iPhone (I did port my number), but this sounds like it would do the trick.

From the New York Times:
Shortly thereafter, I heard from an AT&T representative who revealed the presence of an astonishing little-known cellular feature: you can block cellular spam.

"Our customers can get onto our Web site," he wrote, "and set their handset so that it receives no messages from the Internet, the origin of the vast majority of wireless spam."

He also said:

"Text messages sent from the Internet are addressed as follows: [Your 10-digit wireless number]@txt.att.net.

"What spammers try to do, of course, is attempt to guess your number, largely by trial and error. This brings me to the second capability we offer our customers. Let's say you want to block spam, but still want to receive messages originating from the Net that you would actually find useful (airline schedules, hotel reservations, etc.). For this purpose, we let you replace your wireless number with an alias. It could be some quirky name, or whatever you like. [You share this address only with people you know.] This could disrupt the guessing game spammers play to try to discern your number and sent you their junk.

"Though not perfect, our efforts have helped keep spam in the category of minor, though annoying, phenomenon. Thanks for listening."

The beauty of this feature, of course, is that it blocks ONLY text messages from the Internet. Your friends, using cellphones, can still text you.

* AT&T: Log in at mymessages.wireless.att.com. Under Preferences, you'll see the text-blocking and alias options. Here's also where you can block messages from specific e-mail addresses or Web sites.

daihard

hardcle,

Thanks for the very useful information. I have set up my account and changed the Mobile Number Control to "Block." This way, only those who know my new alias will be able to send me text messages. :)

tcj

Website
www.knownjohnson.com
hardcle said:
I haven't had a problem on my iPhone (I did port my number), but this sounds like it would do the trick.

From the New York Times:
Did this but I'm still getting them from one that seems to be coming from an actual number. How can I block a phone number?