Tunes v7.1.1.5 will not play m4a SoundTaxi files created by prior version.Workaround

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robert

Retired
Newest version of iTunes (7.1.1.5) shows some homemade audiobook m4b files(usually only the first file if there are multiple files) created with SoundTaxi at 0:00 time and will not play these files. Prior version (7.0.1, I think) of iTunes showed m4b books at 0:00 but would play and show the correct time in the time bar window, but 0:00 time in time column of library listing. The SoundTaxi created m4a/aac files not renamed to m4b seem to show and play correctly. Current version, v2.2.7, of SoundTaxi solves the problem.

Workaround to fix 0:00 files created with prior Soundtaxi versions (Utilize YAMB to split off first .005 seconds of the file):

How to:
Utilizing YAMB splitter on a pre-v 2.2.7 SoundTaxi created file to trim off a few seconds at the beginning of the SoundTaxi file creates a file that plays successfully on iTunes 7.1.1.1.5. Certainly easier than recreating with ST v 2.2.7.

1. Download and Open YAMB freeware including mp4 box. YAMB Tutorial, sorry the spit part not done

2. In iTunes, R click file showing 0:00 time

3. Select Get Info from drop down menu, click on Summary Tab Determine and write down file location Following Where at bottom of window -- Probably X:\ iTunes/iTunes Music/Author/Album(book) name/

4. R click on file again, choosing Show In Windows Explorer.

5. Unless an mp3 file, rename the 0:00 file extension from m4b to m4a so that YAMB will recognize it (will not recognize m4b file).

6. In YAMB, click on Splitting and Joining Tab

7. Leave this window open to use for locating the newly created file that splits off the first .005 seconds.

8. Click on Input Button, selecting then the 00:00 SoundTaxi file with window that opens, browsing to the file location you determined as above in step

9. rename the file m4a

10. Select Split From button (fill in the Split From next to the two time entry blank spaces
Enter hh:mm:ss.ccc
- First entry 00:00:00.005 (only two sets of ":" and then decimal point
- Second Entry hh:mm:ss.ccc for entire time length of file. Mine were all 5:00:00.
IMPORTANT: it is two sets of colons, then a decimal point

11. Click on Split Button
When log says splitting complete:

12. Locate file in window you opened in step 3&4. you may have to click on refresh under view in Windows Explorer Window to get file to show. Rename file extension m4b. Say Yes or OK to re naming may cause problems.

13. add newly truncated at beginning file to iTunes by double clicking on the file. It will transfer to iTunes begin to play and highlight in iTunes. If necessary, click on Dated Added column heading to get the file to the top, or use Q search to find the new file.

14. R click on new file in iTunes

15. Click on Info tab

16. Enter Author in both album and song artists

17. Enter Book Name in Song and Album Names

Enjoy!

Edit 1-18-08: Newer iTunes versions still have this problem,
Edit:
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:50 AM
To: Robert
Subject: RE: iTunes Version 7.1.1.1.5 makes ST mp4 file show 0:00 and not play

Dear Robert,

The old license code works with the new version.

Edit: SoundTaxi says problem fixed with update to v2.2.7 and says the old license code works with the new version. Work around for old conversions in this thread posted here.

My nano has begun frequently skipping out of homemade m4b files to next file, increasing play count of file skipped out of by 1. I have not checked to see if m4a files are doing the same. Was skipping prior to last two updates of iTunes.

Edit: WorkAround (maybe) When iPod is awakened from deep sleep (apple logo shows in display), let ipod play a few seconds, press pause to force bookmark, and resume play. Is unrelated to SoundTaxi problem.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Just iTunes ripped a five CD audio book purchased from amazon.com -- Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson (Pulitzer winner for Gabriel) -- and converted and imported at same time directly to aac using iTunes. Then combined into one 5:32 file with YAMB. AAC conversion and YAMB joining fairly fast with my admittedly old pc and did not consume entire computer capacity. Was able to continue browsing, etc..

Shows up in iTunes and iPod with correct time and appears to be playing ok. Will report if skips out and adds to playcount.

Connecting nano to computer to load book, resulted in option to update to iPod version 1.3.1. Hoping maybe skip out problem is corrected with my update to this version.

robert

Retired
RE above conversion. Does skip out after deep sleep.

Newest iTunes version showing multiple files at 0:00 and will not play them. For a time, would show at 0:00 and would play and show time in display area.

Not sure if all these 0:00 files are SoundTaxi created.

robert

Retired
further checking shows that the 00:00 files are in every case the first file created by using YAMB to split a longer file created by SoundTaxi. All the other files show time and play correctly.

The 00:00 file shows as having 138 mb, so the file presumably contains the sound, just not playing for some reason.

waxwing

Similar problem here. Most current SoundTaxi converting WMA files dowloaded from Overdrive or NetDrive through my library. The files are large (20 MB+) but length is 0:00. Sure would nice to have a solution.

- John

tellajoy

Robert and all, I just updated to the iTunes 7.1.1.5 and got the same problem. All my converted audiobooks now have a time of 00:00. I am angry because this occurred. I tried re-adding the files from my back-up files but they will not go in. Is there a way to go back to the last iTunes version until this problem is straightened out? If I go back to my last version will I have the same issue? I like listening to books as I surf the web. I tried to contact apple iTunes to report the problem but could not find a way to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

robert

Retired
Don't update to latest iTunes, iPod, or Quick Time Versions

Thought for a while I was talking to myself. Have also gotten an email from friend with same problem, but she had not updated iPod, so play on iPod, but not on iTunes. If you haven't updated iPod, DONT.

Issues:

How to and where to report to Apple

How to install prior version (have to go two back and I can't remember the numbers). The next to last version showed the 0:00, but would play..

Does QuickTime have to be "reverted" to older version. Note that the current QT version requires a new QT Pro license if you want pro.

Has anyone any experience with installing older version on windows:
Uninstall iTunes and Quick Time?????
then run the downloads from here???????

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm
and here

http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.htm

Which versions?

I am stumbling about in the dark here. Help please.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Last edited:

robert

Retired
This problem may be limited to SoundTaxi created files. I hate that since SoundTaxi converts directly to aac and TuneBite does not.

Upon closer inspection, I think that my TuneBite files are ok, only my SoundTaxi ones are 0:00 and then only the first part of a book split using YAMB. Could be the splitter. I had similar problem a recent SoundTaxi conversion when trying to join with YAMB Dunno if it is the same issue.

robert

Retired
Systematic look at files in old vs new iTunes and w and w/o using YAMB

After determining, to the best of my memory, that only the first parts of multiple part (YAMB splits) SoundTaxi converted audio books have the zero hours, no play problem in iTunes v 7.1.1.1.5, I did the following with the files newly assigned 0:00 by iTunes v 7.1.1.1.5:

Created an entirely new seven hour m4a SoundTaxi file (virgin file)

Copied the first part of 7 multiple part 0:00 audio books from the iTunes 7.1.1.1.5 library and the whole of one fresh and never-in-iTunes, newly created virgin seven hour SoundTaxi-created file onto a portable flash drive and took it to a laptop with iTunes 7.0.2.1.6.

- All 8 files satisfactorily added to v 7.0.0.2.1.6 iTunes files with correct time showing and played perfectly

Then added the newly created virgin seven hour file to iTunes 7.1.1.1.5

- it showed 0:00 and would not play

I then split (actually creates two new files) the virgin 7 hour file with YAMB into a five hour and a two hour file (using 5:00:00.00 duration).

- The five hour file (Part 1) showed 0:00 and would not play
- The two hour file (Part2) showed 2:00 and played perfectly

Conclusions:

iTunes v 7.1.1.1.5 has not damaged or changed the files since the copied segments showing 0:00 in v 7.1.1.1.5 showed and played in v 7.0.2.1.6

YAMB is not the culprit, evidenced by the new seven hour m4a file, untouched by YAMB showing 0:00 in v 7.1.1.1.5.

YAMB split changes all but part 1 of a split multiple part audio book in a way that forces v 7.1.1.1.5 to recognize the file time and play correctly.

I tried to think of a way to use YAMB to create a 30 second Part 1 file and then the rest of the seven hours in another file, but cannot figure out how to do so. Presumably if this could be done, Part 1 would be 0:00 and Part 2 would be slightly under 7:00:00 and Part 2 would show the correct time and play.

I will convert the file with TuneBite overnight and report tomorrow. I am guessing that the conversion to mp3 and then to AAC with iTunes required of TuneBite will result in a playable file. The extra step of aac conversion from mp3 is why I prefer Soundbite. TuneBite Platinum ($35) advertises conversion directly to mp4.

Yes, yes, I know -- make mp3 with TuneBite and make bookmarkable, but I want to listen at faster speed which you can't do with mp3 format.

There is a $15 product called WMAConvert Platinum. The GUI for WMAConvert Platinum is identical to SoundTaxi. States 20X convert speed. May be just a marketing gimmick to re-title for more sales, or maybe a new improved product. who knows?

It is interesting that the iTunes version immediately prior to v 7.1.1.5 -- available only for a short time -- showed the 0:00, but played ok.

Sure wish I hadn't upgraded. May have to figure out how to downgrade. So far, haven't had the nerve to click on the exe for the old versions I downloaded from links above.

Soon as I get TuneBite going, am off to bed. My head hurts from a week end of flu and this aggravation. See ya tomorrow.

kirkmc

Website
www.mcelhearn.com
You know, when you see all these problems, you wonder why people bother. :)

It's really not _that_ much of a hassle to have books in multiple files - why not just join each CD, and have 5 or 6 files instead of one 7-hour file? Rip to AAC, set to bookmarkable - does it work with files ripped directily in iTunes? (Note that I'm not having these problems on Mac, using Doug Adam's Join Together, for example - I've never seen a 0:00 file after joining, so this seems to be a Windows thing...)

Kirk

robert

Retired
Kirk,

This has nothing to do with CD's. The number of files has only to do with reducing an original large file to the five hour limitation, though it appears that the five hour files are now subject to the problems of larger files.

If you had been there, then, you would see this is no different than the myriad of problems this forum solved to produce the Guide for converting CDs to bookmarkable.

robert

Retired
SoundTaxi problem fixed in new version

Email from Sound Taxi support and my further inquiry:

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:29 AM

Dear Robert,

You can download the latest SoundTaxi version from our official site (http://www.soundtaxi.info/) by clicking on "Download free trial".
It fixes the issue.

Edit:

Dear Robert,

Best regards,
Dmitri
SoundTaxi Support Team

Thanks for your prompt reply

Re: downloading current version to fix this problem:
-- Will download of current version require a new license payment?

If no, how to avoid having to pay license fee to fix a technical bug?
-- How can users play past conversions? Is there a work around?

On iLounge, several users report many, many past conversions and It is impractical, or at least very difficult and time consuming, to ... repeat the SoundTaxi conversion. Help, please.

Thanks,

Robert

So, obviously something in SoundTaxi conversion causes the problem. I am assuming the TuneBite conversion works, since SoundTaxi recognizes the problem.

I was wondering if applying YAMB split to create a file from, say for my "virgin" file, 00:30.00 to 7:00:00.0 might make an old file work. I will try it. Certainly more practical than to re-run a large number of files through the whole conversion process.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Work Around for Files created prior to v 2.2.7 of SoundTaxi

Utilizing YAMB splitter on a pre-v 2.2.7 SoundTaxi created file to trim off a few seconds at the beginning of the SoundTaxi file creates a file that plays successfully on iTunes 7.1.1.1.5. Certainly easier than recreating with ST v 2.2.7.

How to:

1. Download and Open YAMB freeware including mp4 box. YAMB Tutorial, sorry the spit part not done

2. In iTunes, R click file showing 0:00 time

3. Select Get Info from drop down menu, click on Summary Tab Determine and write down file location Following Where at bottom of window -- Probably X:\ iTunes/iTunes Music/Author/Album(book) name/

4. R click on file again, choosing Show In Windows Explorer.

5. Unless an mp3 file, rename the 0:00 file extension from m4b to m4a so that YAMB will recognize it (will not recognize m4b file).

6. In YAMB, click on Splitting and Joining Tab

7. Leave this window open to use for locating the newly created file that splits off the first .005 seconds.

8. Click on Input Button, selecting then the 00:00 SoundTaxi file with window that opens, browsing to the file location you determined as above in step

9. rename the file m4a

10. Select Split From button (fill in the Split From next to the two time entry blank spaces
Enter hh:mm:ss.ccc
- First entry 00:00:00.005 (only two sets of ":" and then decimal point
- Second Entry hh:mm:ss.ccc for entire time length of file. Mine were all 5:00:00.
IMPORTANT: it is two sets of colons, then a decimal point

11. Click on Split Button
When log says splitting complete:

12. Locate file in window you opened in step 3&4. you may have to click on refresh under view in Windows Explorer Window to get file to show. Rename file extension m4b. Say Yes or OK to re naming may cause problems.

13. add newly truncated at beginning file to iTunes by double clicking on the file. It will transfer to iTunes begin to play and highlight in iTunes. If necessary, click on Dated Added column heading to get the file to the top, or use Q search to find the new file.

14. R click on new file in iTunes

15. Click on Info tab

16. Enter Author in both album and song artists

17. Enter Book Name in Song and Album Names

Enjoy!

Edit 1-18-08: Newer iTunes versions still have this problem,
Edit:

Dear Robert,

and I edited above to add renaming requirements -- to m4a prior to split, to m4b after split.

Cheers,

Robert

Last edited:

tellajoy

iTunes v 7.1.1.5 Does not play pre-v 2.2.7 SoundTaxi m4b files

Hi,

I downloaded the new Soundtaxi version but unfortunately that does not fix the files I already have on iTunes :eek: . I deleted all my YAMB files (I might have one old file) because when the files were joined they showed the correct memory amount of kb or mb but the times were incorrect. Also when I played them they were not complete books. So since most of my audiobook m4b files were around an hour a piece, I just left them as Part 01, 02 etc. in iTunes.

How can I change my m4b files now without having to convert them again. I have a few of the original wma files before conversion but I usually delete them after I have the book in m4b files and put in the iTunes library. I still have quite a dilema here. Any suggestions? I don't think you solution will work with me.

Thanks for your help. tellajoy

PS. I still find it strange that Soundtaxi is the "problem" when everything worked fine before installing iTunes 7.1.1.5 upgrade.

robert

Retired
tellajoy said:
Hi,

...I deleted all my YAMB files (I might have one old file) because when the files were joined they showed the correct memory amount of kb or mb but the times were incorrect. ... OUCH!!!!

How can I change my m4b files now without having to convert them again. I have a few of the original wma files before conversion but I usually delete them after I have the book in m4b files and put in the iTunes library. I still have quite a dilema here. Any suggestions? I don't think you solution will work with me. SEE POST ABOVE FOR STEP BY STEP TO USE YAMB TO TRIM OFF FIRST FEW SECONDS OF EACH OF YOUR FILES TO GET THEM TO PLAY.

PS. I still find it strange that Soundtaxi is the "problem" when everything worked fine before installing iTunes 7.1.1.5 upgrade.
Do you have YAMB confused? YAMB is the software to join or split m4a files that are created by SoundTaxi. Too bad if you deleted all those files, because the steps in post above tell you how to use YAMB to make the 0:00 files play on iTunes.

Follow the instructions in post above to cut off the first few seconds of all your SoundTaxi "0:00" files and they will play. You will have to rename them m4a and back to m4b to go thru the "trimming" operation.

I am guessing that iTunes changed something about how it recognizes or plays mp4 files and SoundTaxi was not comliant with that. The problem is that the old version SoundTaxi file format will not play on the new version of iTunes. I said it was a SoundTaxi problem because TuneBite and presumably others continue to play on iTunes new version. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't have to guarantee all third party formats to play on iTunes. I found that if you trim a few seconds off the beginning of the old SoundTaxi files with YAMB freeware, that the old files will play. I asked SoundTaxi tech support for workarounds and got none, so you are stuck with the YAMB solution. Fortunately, it doesn't take long to process, but for lots of files, it is unfortunate.

I don't know what else to tell you.

robert

Retired
kylo4 said:
When did a 7.1.1.5 come out? I thought it was just 7.1.1. atleast that's what it says on Apple.com
In my iTunes Help>about iTunes says version 7.1.1.5