Trying to securely delete Itunes Backup Files

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

FloridaTrucker9

Hello:

Awhile back, I backed up my iPhone 5S to that computer. I have sensitive data on in (on the strong end, my clients personal financial data/SSN/cc numbers). I need/want to securely remove all of my phones backup data from the computer so it can't be recovered and gone through by anyone that will be using the computer after me.

So, I used Eraser to do a secure, multi-pass deletion of the actual backup files located in "AppData" in Windows. I'm pretty sure it worked.

Here's my concern: Does Windows store/copy any iTunes backup data elsewhere within the Windows file system? Or, does the iTunes backup strictly stay in the "AppData" folder.

I realize that this may be more of a question directed to an experienced Windows user rather than an ITunes expert, but maybe someone here can help me out a bit. Thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
Your technique worked.

No there are no other direct copies. Technically a copy of the data that is in the backup could be in the pagefile at the time of the backup, but since it was "awhile back" it is unlikely to be there.

If you enable encrypted backups with iTunes, they are only stored encrypted and can't be decrypted directly, and can only be restored to your device IF you have the password. Use a password manager to generate a good random password and no one is getting that data but you.