transmitting song text to factory radio. (w/FM modulator?)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CySurflex

transmitting song text via RDS to factory radio. (w/FM modulator?)

I have an Audi TT and the factory radio does a cool thing where it displays the radio station name both on the head unit and on the dashboard itself, right in front of my eyes.

I think it would be really cool to be able to have the ipod connected in a way that would transmit the song names to the head unit, so that it would display it in both places.

I'm guessing this should be theoretically possible, maybe with an FM modulator (wired) that makes the head unit think its just a radio station and that the radio station is sending the text info. I looked on the web site of the only fm modulator I know of
www (dot) dension (dot) com/icelink_fm.htm
the Denison IceLink FM

but it doesn't say anything about transmitting the song text.

I think I don't want any specialized ipod-controlling head units because A) their interface is never going to be as good as the ipod itself and B) they're wont display the text on the dash. .

Any ideas about this?

Last edited:

simon hutchings

As far as the UK is concerned, the text you get on the radio and the dashboard is RDS data. All this transmits is the station ident and you can use this to identify a range of stations that you want to listen to, have a look in the TT radio instructions.
The information on the iPod is encoded into the MP3 or AAC track and is totally different.
Without saying that this cannot categorically not be done, and be proved wrong, I very much doubt it. With most ice>links all you get is a display showing that a CD is playing and which track and this bears no relation to what the iPod is playing.
There are some iPod/head unit links that allow some indication of what the iPod is playing on the head unit display, but they are radio or car specific. It might be worth trying some TT forums and or asking Audi.

absentiabanish

I have not heard of any Ipod products doing this but XM is coming out with this technology around Christmas. Maybe Ipod is around the corner also.

CySurflex

Yes - the RDS data is exactly what I had in mind. Theoretically it should be possible - if you're using an FM modulator, the head unit thinks its a radio station and all it would take is an adapter that would know to translate song info to RDS data.

I guess thats not out there yet. Maybe I'll write to Dension IceLink FM to suggest that feature

Admit it, it would be cool :)

edit:

I just e-mailed dension support about this. I made sure to e-mail the worldwide support and not the US support, because the IceLink FM is not a US product:

Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 9:33 AM
To: 'support@dension.com'
Subject: IceLink FM Suggestion / Question

Hi –

Does IceLink FM transmit RDS data to the head unit?

If not, that would seriously be a killer feature, where the factory head unit can display song information.
In my car (Audi TT) it would be especially great, because the RDS information is displayed not only on the head unit, but also on the dash board in front of the drivers eyes.

If this feature already is supported, then it is not mentioned anywhere on your web site…

Regards,
-

Last edited:

svmuratore

As far as in the US, a FM Modulator does not show info through the RDS feature. I have a Grand Cherokee with RDS function in the stock radio and a FM Modulator. All it does is show the channel your on, 89.9FM or what ever you have it set up on.

CySurflex

svmuratore said:
As far as in the US, a FM Modulator does not show info through the RDS feature. I have a Grand Cherokee with RDS function in the stock radio and a FM Modulator. All it does is show the channel your on, 89.9FM or what ever you have it set up on.
what brand FM modulator are you using?

how is it, btw?

pdp76

svmuratore said:
That's probably true of all FM modulators currently for sale right now, but like the OP suggested, this would be theoretically possible if someone made a more sophisticated FM modulator that transmitted an RDS signal along with the audio signal.

I thought about the exact same thing not too long ago, but personally though, I don't think it will ever happen, at least not in the near future for the US. Most stereos, home or car, don't even have RDS capabilities, and the ones that do, tend to be more on the high end side (although it sounds like RDS is more commonplace in Europe). Also, if someone is willing to pay extra for the high end stuff with RDS, chances are, they will not settle for the lousy sound quality of an FM modulator.