transfer ratings and playlists possible?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

imullarney

So i have a dilemma,
I have just refreshed and updated my complete library... before starting i saved a backup of the old library and the xml files. I then updates some songs and added the ID3 tag information the the mp3 files. The only way i could get the library to refresh was to remove all the current songs and reload all the songs in the library. i did this and then realized that this would create a new xml file and lose all my ratings and playlists. I now have a copy of the new library that is organized and the old library that has the rating and playlists. Is there any way to transfer just the song ratings and the playlists that they were in without messing up everything else? I took a look at the xml file and a few of the specific songs that i looked at had differing track id numbers.

Essin

Again, the xml file is useless, throw it away. Your ratings, playlists etc are stored in the .itl file. The xml is just for the benefit of external programs.

And you can update songs with new ID3 info if you haven't changed the filename or it's loaction. Just start playing it in iTunes and the Info window will show the new tags.

imullarney

well for whatever reason the rating is not saved to the ID3 data along with the playlists... looks like i am going to have to re rate songs and add them to playlists correct? since a few album names changed and i have my folders set to be managed by itunes i would imagine things have changed since the old .itl file making it useless.

S2_Mac

Ratings (and playlists) are not part of the ID3 specs; that's why iTunes has to store them outside the song files, in the .itl file.

If you're on a Mac, there are scripts to help do what you want. If you're on a PC...not so much ;-)

imullarney

yup on a pc over here....any way to embed the rating into the ID3 tags? i would assume by just going to get info for that specific song and rating it and then saving then repeating this process like a bazillion times.

Essin

Embedding ratings to songs doesn't make much sense. It's not an absolute value like song title, artist, album, track number etc. It'd be a bit like having Last Played or Date Added as a tag. And personally I think Genre should be a "local tag" too. One mans gridcore is another mans punk...
I'm sure it can be done, but maybe that's why Apple chose not to do it.