Transfer iTunes songs from PC to Laptop

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

father04co

Website
www.stanceapparel.com
hi guys,
i just got a laptop (it use Windows XP) and my computer also use Windows XP too. I'd like to transfer all my 1500 songs from my computer to my laptop and be able to charge and update my iPod mini on my laptop with iTunes (i just download it on my laptop). I've always charged and update my iPod with my computer but now i want to move all my music on my laptop and now start charging and updating my iPod with it.

And i'm wondering how to transfer all my music from my computer to my laptop (i don't care if it take hours, im patient!), and im also wondering, after i put all my songs in iTunes, will i need to rename every songs or it will be just like on my iTunes on my computer??

thanks!

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
there are many ways to do this. you could use an external drive to copy all the files from your old pc to laptop, you could put both computers on the same network and transfer the files over, or if neither of these options are viable you could even use your ipod as a storage device to transfer the files between computers.

since your profile indicates you have a 6GB mini, you probably can't fit your whole library and database files onto it. but you could do it in two steps. someone posted how to do this (in one step) in a different post located here. since you don't have room on your mini for everything, you could just transfer 1/2 your music folders at a time and the same process would work (just be mindful of what you have and have not copied over).

there are other ways too, basically using 3rd party software to extract your mini's contents into their new home. search the forum and you'll probably find a solution that fits your situation best.

father04co

Website
www.stanceapparel.com
and when i've transfered all my songs on my laptop, i'll just need to drag and drop them in iTunes and it will reconise them and will it put the name and details they had on my other computer?

and im scared that when i'll put my songs in iTunes it will work but when i'll plug my iPod in my laptop, it will say that the songs are missing or have been moved and i'll need to search EACH songs one by one...

(and yes i have an iPod mini 6GB)

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
in addition to copying your song files, if you follow the directions you'll also be copying the itunes database files "iTunes Library.itl" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" files, both located in your c:\my documents\my music\itunes\ folder. this will (a) tell your laptop what songs should be in the library and where they're located, and (b) preserve play counts and ratings.

father04co

Website
www.stanceapparel.com
finally, it end up like i thought it would, i used my iPod mini to transfer the songs from my computer to my laptop and i have to rename all my 1500 songs one by one..., i better start now if i want to be done for next year!

thank you A LOT rockmyplimsoul for your help!