• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Touch Buttons or not?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Should Apple use the Third Generation touch buttons on new iPods?

• Yes

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 55.6%

• Total voters

iApple

Do you think that Apple should put the touch buttons that were used on the Third Generation iPods on future generations? I have a 3rd Generation, and I really like them. I was wondering if anyone else thinks that they should use them again.

laxpod

Old School
100% agreed! the click wheel is making too much money for them to give up

iBimbo

i like the 3G design, but the iPod being ALL white makes it boring. with the 4G the click wheel is grey. if they made the touch wheel and touch button a greyish color, it would look nice. i agree, no moving parts!

however, as previously said, apple is making so much money on the click wheel. they aren't changing it anytime soon i would think.

Charlesincharge

I have a 4g while my sister has a 3g, yet i think the 3g is a whole lot nicer and the touch controls give the sense of a high quality, sophisticated product. definitely the way to go for future generations, but i doubt that apple will go down that road

c0mplex

the touch buttons on the 3G were a very cool feature... but the 4G clickwheel was just way more comfortable to use. you didn't have to directly have your iPod out of your pocket and look at what you were pushing like you do with the 3G. the clickwheel on the 4G allowed you to feel when you pushed the button and how many times you did push it without even looking at it.

iApple

A good idea would be to have different versions of iPod in the same generation. You could buy one version which had the touch buttons or you could buy a different version with the click wheel. I think this would cost too much, however.

iBimbo

iApple said:
A good idea would be to have different versions of iPod in the same generation. You could buy one version which had the touch buttons or you could buy a different version with the click wheel. I think this would cost too much, however.
that would be awesome. good thought. although, i don't think it'll happen. like you said, too expensive.

iBimbo

the click wheel was fine for the mini because they needed something that would take up little space, but they should have kept the 3 gen design for the big, full sized ipods. just changed colors or something to spice up the look. i really do hope they bring touch buttons back!

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
There are benefits of both. I've got a fourth gen, and I like the way the click wheel works. I like to feel when I'm pressing a button, especially since I'm not always looking at it.

But for people that use their iPod in the car, the touch sensitive buttons allow you to keep your hands on the wheel for that split-second longer.

At the same time, the click wheel also means it can break. Mine seems to be drifting away from the edge of the hole, and I can see a black line around the outside.

I also don't like the way the touch wheel and buttons look... if they could make the touch buttons in a click wheel style, that'd be nice.

iBimbo

I'd like it if they could make the touch buttons so that you could feel when you hit them.

Elric

Website
www.therecordworks.com
iBimbo said:
I'd like it if they could make the touch buttons so that you could feel when you hit them.
Isn't that the point of the Click Wheel? So it makes a "Click noise" when you press one of the buttons? Also having the 4 buttons ON the wheel makes a bit more sense doesn't it?