Top40 Countdown

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Submeg

Hi All,

I've had a search through the forum, this has come up in the smart playlists discussion, but wasn't sufficiently answered.

What I'm trying to do is to create a top40 countdown playlist.

1. Only 40 songs
2. With the most plays IN THE LAST WEEK

Seems pretty simple? Well I'm stuck! I've tried to put a date filter (i.e. in the last week) and plays (most played) but that gives me the most played songs OVERALL that I have also played in the last week.

Is there a way to make it find the songs I've played the most in the last week (see my last.fm)

Please help!

Submeg

Code Monkey

You can't do what you want because iTunes only tracks playcount and date last played, that's it. There is no record kept of when previous plays were; as soon as you play that song, whatever date data was there for its previous play is overwritten.

ScoobZ

The manual method of doing this would be to export your library list to Excel at the beginning of the week. Do it again at the end of the week. Do the math on the play count changes. Sort. Create a playlist of the top 40 plays.

Way too much work for me to do, but it's an option.

Submeg

Yea, I figured that in the end. Perhaps an improvement that could be included? However, I could imagine how big files would be if it had to save when songs were played!

Code Monkey

Perhaps an improvement that could be included?
I hear you, unfortunately, Apple doesn't see smartlists as the awesome tool they are. They've had one major improvement since they came out: the addition of nested subrules, that's it. Eight years of changes in iTunes and other than adding a few fields, the code is largely the same it was back in 2003 so don't hold your breath ;)