Tivoli iPal. Anyone have one yet?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

langdonauger

I got an email from Tivoli about this, but it's not on their site yet. I think it started shipping in the UK today maybe? So, I'm gathering it's white and silver, and it comes with a 1/8" audio cable. The email I got says it can also be used with an iTrip. Is such a thing possible with a Tivoli's analog tuner? Here's a link to a retailer, but it's worth a google too.

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_18932.html

gameon

hi,

the tivoli PAL has been out for a while now - got mine last summer! think they have just rebranded it iPAL and added a 3.5mm cable.

it is excellent quality when used through the line out of the dock (the picture on the link shows is going through the headphone socket - much better to use the line out on the back of the dock). the PAL has a line in socket so can be used with almost any music player. and yes the analog tuner can be used with iTrip but is no where near as good as when using the line out.

also it is avaiable in many other colours - see http://www.simplyradios.com/acatalog/revpal1.htm for some pics....

cheers

chris

langdonauger

Oooh, I know....I have a brown, and bought a red for my folks, and I adore my Model One. I was wondering if this one was more pod friendly in some way (I didn't realize the itrip possibility of my "old" tivoli's). My old Pal gripe is the flaking rubber. I don't mind the glossy plastic underneath (kind of looks like old bakelite) but the dial markings also peel off with the rubber. I never get responses from Tivoli when I email them. But, I know they are small, and so are my complaints...these radios are extraordinary. I might invest in one of those leatherette cases I saw on a UK site. We can't get them over here, for some reason...
take care,
-L

brted

Website
igirder.com
My problem with the Model One is that if you play the iPod out of the dock you have to turn the volume on the radio way down such that it is nearly impossible to play at low volumes. So I wind up using the headphone jack and dialing down to about 50%. Maybe the iPal (or Pal) isn't as sensitive to that? I kind of doubt it because I agree they probably just made it another color and put some different stickers on it.

gameon

brted, i kinda agree with your comments on the volume, but i just bought the altec lansing inmotion speakers (impulse buy, always looking for something better!), and although it does cool things things like charging the iPod whilst playing, it is no match for the PAL (or iPAL!) in volume or quality.

what i'm trying to say is the volume is not an issue when you compare it to the competition - so far nothing else i have heard comes close to the sheer quality and bass of the tivoli PAL. as testament to my views i have put the inmotion speakers on ebay after only a few days - they certainly suit a purpose (convenient, good sound, perfect match looks wise), but imho are not quite as good sound wise.

langdonauger, what leatherette case do you mean? sounds interesting...

gameon

langdonauger, that case is kinda cool, looks like combat trousers for a radio! i wonder if the iPod and dock would fit in the side pockets - my whole music world to go in one case.. :0)

the iPAL spec wise appears the same as the PAL, it looks like they are charging the extra ?10 for the white cable and the 'i' suffix! personally i prefer the different colours (mine is a red), but i guess it would look cool all in matching white!

sparkky, try http://www.tivoliaudio.com/?c=x and select the country from there. i would seriously recomend listening to one, they are very good - the tuner is exceptional..

pete 'n pea

Website
home1.gte.net
greetings!

very nice indeed to encounter other Model One enthusiasts....
i ordered my iPal yesterday direct from tivoli audio.
hope to report back and compare initial impressions by next weekend (my current experience with the Model One/iPOD
combo leads me to believe it will be just fine...).

i truly believe the apple/tivoli collaboration will prove to be a most compelling synergy...

as per another post in this thread, i, too, hope that someone will offer the PAL case here in the US sometime soon.

take care,
pete

Last edited:

Heather

Thanks for all of this information - does anyone know anything about the SONY SRS - T775? I'm in the market to get iPOD speakers - quality, portability, and durability (traveling) are top on my list. Sounds like the iPAL may be my best bet right now?

It looks like I will need to buy a dock to use it at its best? I have the 15Gig - didn't come with a dock.

pete 'n pea

Website
home1.gte.net
heather,

here is a link to customer reviews of the sony t77:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005U7RW/qid=1086016199/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-6952602-4884128?v=glance&s=electronics

i personally feel you'd be more pleased with the Tivoli products, as sound quality was mentioned as an important criteria,
while only $50 more than the sony, you get a first-rate tuner, as well as long-throw driver w/ a heavy magnet. as such, you can expect better bass response and more of an audiophile sound signature than you would get from sony's mass produced drivers.
the general consensus of the sony customer reviews is that, while the sony t77s are quite clear and detailed, the bass response and sound character are similar to "television speakers". the tivoli PALs are very well built, as well.

good luck, hope this helps you in making your decision...

pete

ps
you don't need the dock, though it's line out is "cleaner" than the headphone jack. if you do use the headphone jack, i'd recommend turning your EQ off....

Last edited:

pete 'n pea

Website
home1.gte.net
my iPAL arrived yesterday!

the build quality appears exceptional, typical of tivoli products.
elegant cabinet and appointments.
while not exactly a perfect match, it is really very close and quite complementary to the iPOD's styling.

after an initial charge, i hooked up the iPod and was blown away...
an amazing, audiophile-quality sound coming from such a tiny cabinet! (only a bit larger than a pint carton)
rich, detailed and lively.
did i mention rich? (henry kloss designed a "loudness" contour into all of his radios).

sourcing from the line out of the iPod dock, i found i could achieve sound levels sufficient to fill a modest room with the
volume knob set at about 10 o' clock.
my impressions:
remarkable bass and smooth highs.
the midrange (esp. voices, acoustic guitar, horns) is extraordinary. elements of the music created the illusion of "blooming" outside
the confines of the cabinet and well into the room.

after several hours of listening, i encountered no indication of fatigue and expect that this exceptionally "warm" sound will
only continue to sweeten as it "burns in" (as my Model One did).
truly remarkable for a 2.5" speaker...
while pushing the volume higher did incur some modest clipping,
i suspect that with the proper source material (acoustic, jazz, classical) and a well recorded source file (192kb/s or greater),
one could coax considerably more volume out of this little beauty.

not unlike a small bookshelf speaker, placement appears influential to the iPAL's sound quality.
situating the iPAL 24" off the floor, approximately 12" from the wall (a corner, preferably) yielded the best result for me.
as the unit seems rather directional, i found the most pleasing presentation and bass response
could be found directly in front of the iPAL, perhaps 8'-10' away.

i am very, very pleased.
this thing is elegant in appearance, and quite pleasing in it's sound signature.
tivoli has presented iPOD users with a viable portable speaker system.
it will make a great travel or workplace companion, and a most welcome addition to a patio, dorm room,
hotel room or rented cabin by the lake...
i think it will do (deservedly)well in the iPOD accessory marketplace...

pete

Last edited: