• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Tiger Is Awesome - >>All Tiger related posts here please<<

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
Tiger Is Awesome

Just got Tiger today and installed it, and I must say this OS is living up to its expectations. Spotlight is as good as I'd hoped, and the Mail and iChat app tweaks are nice as well. Although I have to say, the widgets are what have stolen my heart. They're cute, handy, and they look good. They're just very "Apple." Overall this is awesome, and I'm very excited to be using it.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Meh, I disagree. I installed it yesterday and am not impressed with it that much. The Mail and iChat tweaks are nice, but Dashboard appears inferior to Konfab, and it makes you use the Konspose like method to view the widgets. I also hate the way it is stuck in your Dock by default.

I like the new "More Info" button whenever you click on an App in a Finder Window in the columns view but spotlight has yet to "wow" me much and Automater is not exactly user friendly, or at least not to me.

Not worth the $129. Glad I saved my money. Sorry for the downer report, but that's my view.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Pretty cool. :) I'm getting Tiger in a few hours time and I can't wait :p

jedk

I'm gonna get Tiger in the next few days, but I'm going to leave Panther installed until Tiger 10.4.1 is released then I'll install and update (still remember the bugs present in Panther 10.3.0....).

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
I just noticed something. The apple in the upper-let corner is a different shade of blue, to match the Spotlight icon in the upper-right corner.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Yeah, in fact the whole task bar lost the thin lines and now is more of a brushed metal look. I actually LIKE that....

And the default desktop background changed again. Another Aqua blue variant....

Last edited:

Chees

I downloaded it about a week ago to see how it was. Spotlight is pretty crappy and has to re-catalogue everything when you restart. Automator is as difficult to use as applescript, and doesn't really automate that much. They changed the little apple at the top left hand corner of the screen to this stupid looking one. And a few of my printer drivers stopped working with it already. The only thing I like is the weather report widget and the translator one. I have no clue what the point of the puzzle one was. By the way, the widgets will spontaneously stop working at times. I guess it was worth getting just for the sake of upgrading and allowing it to fix behind the scenes programs and stuff, but for features, it really sucks!

punk_r0x

Website
www.xanga.com
Will new laptops start shipping with Tiger right away? I've been looking into getting a mac laptop (long time windoze user, want to try something new), but I figured I'd wait til I can get one with Tiger installed.

MikeM

Retired
All macs should ship with Tiger now.

Like someone else posted, I'm also waiting until at least the .1 update before getting it. And even then, I'll get it at work first to see if I want to buy it for home. While I don't see a need to update right now, once other apps require it, I'll want to upgrade. That's what pushed me to Panther- so many Apple apps latest versions require it.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Chees said:
Spotlight is pretty crappy and has to re-catalogue everything when you restart. Automator is as difficult to use as applescript, and doesn't really automate that much.
I don't think Spotlight re-catolouges everything, but it sure does something that helps bog down the system after a reboot. I agree about Automater, what a disappointment that is. Overall, both my systems are a bit slower....

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Tiger requires 256MB of RAM while Panther only needs 128 right?

BTW, for those who already have the Tiger roaring, how do the widgets compare to those of Konfabulator's?

Chees

baggss said:
I don't think Spotlight re-catolouges everything, but it sure does something that helps bog down the system after a reboot. I agree about Automater, what a disappointment that is. Overall, both my systems are a bit slower....
Well it sure is cataloging something that really slows the system. I don't understand what is so great about it... It seems to take just as long as the old search thing.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I agree, it does take forever.

The widgets SUCK compared to Konfab and you can't simply place them on your desktop. Dashboard uses a Konspose type interface where the desktop is put in the background (like Expose) and the widgets come up. Not very user friendly if you ask me.

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
That's the one thing I don't like about the widgets. I wish I could take a few of them and just tack them on my desktop, instead of having to hit a key every time I want to use it. THey are cool, though.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
But wouldn't that be a bit obtrusive? Still, I'm pretty much looking forward to Tiger since the 'rents get it at some sort of discount. Been talking to some people who find the new Mail interface pretty cool.