Thoughts on cases/case designs?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gedansky

My wife bought me an iPad 1 about a month ago, as a birthday/father's day present. I had been waiting for an iPad 2, but, we are on a budget and Verizon was blowing them out, so she got a great deal.

Long story short, my wife got it as a package deal, with a very nice but simple leather portfolio case by Griffin. It has that mostly covered frame around the iPad, with partially or full bare corners for access to buttons or to leave speakers uncovered etc.

The good: Protection for MOST of the device. Leather seems nice enough and it has a good look to it.

The not so good:

The corners are at least partially exposed, leaving the edges of the corners subject to dings. Withing my first two weeks, I noticed a tiny ding in the edge of my iPad, right where the case doesn't cover.

The iPad can move around in the case. There's no danger of it sliding out, but, when it shifts, it risks exposing more of the corners that are in danger.

Seems to ad some noticeable weight, and it's a little big for my hands when thumb typing or reading.

After looking around and doing some reading, I actually found great reviews of the Apple branded iPad case, so I took a gamble and bought a nearly new one for less than $10 including shipping ($40 at Apple).

The good:

Much more streamlined, so the form factor seems smaller. Full coverage on all edges, except cut-outs for buttons etc.

An extended seam/boarder, all the way around it, that acts as a bumper.

Nice, smooth feel. Kind of industrial if you are into more modern materials like rubber, instead of leather.

The reviews are largely very good.

The not-so-good:

Users say it picks up finger prints, grease and dust easily. But, it also wipes off easily.

The fin can be a little hard to hold. Kind of cuts into your hands a little, though it does no damage.

Depending upon how you look at it, it can be viewed as looking modern, or cheap. I'm on the fence about which.

Anyone out there using either of these? Any good or bad things to say? Got a different solution you like better? Please share.