There has to be a better way to do this...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

moot11

I ripped a couple of seasons of 3 of my shows and I was hoping I'd be able to dump it on to my 4th gen ipod and watch them.

I've downloaded VLC to play the avi files, but there's no organization at all. The avi files are sorted by title, so various shows get mixed up with each other and finding the show I wan't or watching them in consecutive order is very difficult.

I would like to use a file browser so I can make folders in my ipod touch and drag and drop movies to the file browser/ipod, and not have the video files default to the quicktime video player (setting the file association to VLC or something else would be great). Is this possible, I'm willing to jailbreak or purchase apps.

I use iFiles as my file browser.

Last edited:

Sparkee

A better way? iTunes, encode the video for iTunes and use the Show Name, Season and Episode numbers to organize the shows in both iTunes and the iPod. I'm not sure VLC reads video tags, but even for iTunes I will add the episode number to the episode name. So it would show up as "01 - Episode Name" and the shows get sorted by the number.

Otherwise you should name the files something like "Show Name - s01e01 - Episode Name.avi" or similar where "s01" is the season number and "e01" is the episode number. I think if you are relying on a file browser you best bet is to do it this way.

moot11

Thank you for your reply. I currently only have a laptop and having to re encode, re-tag, and re-name can be a little time consuming. The file browser can only open up my files with quicktime media player and not vlc (cannot change file association). So, it sound like what I would like is not possible (i.e. I can rename with file browser, but I would have to re-encode, or I can not re-encode, but my files would be hard to sort through without folders.

This is my first apple device, and I guess I was just hoping that iOS would have a similar setup as my android phone, where I just drag and drop avi files into a folder structure like the following, and just set the file extension of avi to open with a certain app (default).

Series name
-Season
-Episode number

This saved a lot of time not having to recode and rename things. Although iOS does not seem to have the flexibility of a android, I deeply appreciate a working podcast application and a more active app store.

Sparkee

There is other programs out there to manage iPods but it is my experience they work best with iTunes.

You shouldn't have to re-encode the files just to change the file name. You will have to change the names on a computer then re-transfer them to the iPod.