The world is out of iPhones

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
I am very aggravated at the low availability of the iPhone 3G. Why is it that companie never make enough of a popular product? Today, only 2 Apple stores in America had the black 16 gigabyte iPhone 3G. That is pathetic! If they don't have it readily available before school starts, I'm going to kill someone. That someone will most likely be Steve Jobs. Damn, I'm mad!!!

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
the lead time to replenish stock in the US is about 3 weeks so expect to wait at least till mid august. It is true that apple didn't create enough stock, but keep in mind that they have sold over A MILLION phones in the first weekend alone.

It's no different than the PS3 and wii shortages last year. It really comes down to how bad you want it. If you expected to waltz into an apple store 6 days after the launching of the worlds most popular phone expect to be let down. It's a matter of what you were willing to endure to get it.. If you weren't willing to wait in line for such a cool item then I don't know what to say. That's the reality of the situation my friend.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
That makes the assumption that they don't have back stock warehoused in the US and that they don't have shipments in the pipeline that were ordered before the first batch hit stores. I'd be surprised if Apple was out of iPhones for more than three or four days TOPS.

~tl

While I'm sure that the sheer demand for the new iPhone does have a bit to do with it, I'd bet it comes down to marketing tactics as well. There's no better way to create hype for a "must have" gadget than to make it really hard to get for the first couple of weeks. I would think that 99% of the people who have tried to get iPhones this week aren't going to say "oh well, I can't get an iPhone now, so I guess I'll just get a Blackberry instead." No, they're still going to buy an iPhone when they come into stock! So, overall, it's a fairly safe tactic for Apple to use. They get the extra hype created by the iPhone being hard to get and they still get pretty much the same number of customers in the end. I'd give it a week or two and I'm sure that they'll be much easier to come by...

anypats

I work in a store that sells the Wii and we yet have been able to put them out on the floor. We take prepayments for them so when we get them then we call the customer. It is about a 3 week wait.

Also, just realize that if Apple had waited until they had 5 million iPhones ready to ship they may have had to wait until August or September to release them.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
Any pats I agree. I think some people are acting like apple should have clearly estimated the demand. I agree with this to some extent, but only because it was apples decision to stop selling the previous iPhone so far in advance of the 3G release. That created an influx of demand because the whole world was iphoneless for two months.

Ultimately apple is a customer just like we are. Again, apple sold a million phones in 3 days. That's six zero's people. If that doesn't speak for the type of demand this has created then I don't know what does. After all, Apple has wait times and availability issues the same as we do. They are customers too, and perhaps that has something to with it.

Last edited:

renderboy

Strong language. I don't think the shortage of the iPhone calls for "offing" anyone. I can't say I buy into the whole "they're artificially creating a shortage to hype the iPhone" line. The shortage is way more negative press than positive, not to mention the posts threatening Steve Jobs.

I've waited over 5 business days so far myself, and I was promised one in 7-10 business days. With the demand exceeding inventories, I expect to wait 2 maybe 3 weeks or frankly until it comes in. Apple is launching this in 20 countries with the total of 70 countries by years end, and demand is stronger than even Apple could have hoped for. Really a good thing for Apple and us.

Yes, in the short term that means there will be waiting for iPhones, but in the long run this strong demand means more "app" developers and game makers will take this strong market seriously and give us more apps and coding attention, rather than developing for other smartphones. Apps that will make your iPhone even better than toting your laptop around, because it'll offer realtime networking with people, places and things.

Am I anxious to get one? You bet, I'd like one yesterday. But, truthfully I think the wider adoption of iPhones and my having to wait is going to a better thing in the long run. Apple is breaking mobile computing wide open. Watch a real community movement grow around the iPhone. The real fire starts when people start leveraging the realtime 3G info in useful and exciting ways.

The iPhone is way beyond just the futuristic interface. The iPhone is taking people back into the social setting and letting them take their technology with them.

It's going to be a great time to be an iPhone user.

Tom

cyberspastic

I live in Columbus, Ohio -- I went to the Apple Store to get a case and they had both 8 and 16 gb iphones. there wasn't even a line.

renderboy

I put my preorder in for the Black 16GB iPhone in on July 11th around 6pm and today I got my notice that my iPhone is shipping to my local AT&T store. If it arrives in a day or so it will have arrived within the promised 7-10 business day timeframe. I'm not in a big city either, so that should give you some idea of the wait time.

Tom

pitterchi

I just went to the Tysons Corner, VA store. There was a line but the guy said there were plenty.

CocheseUGA

Website
www.associatedcontent.com
Stay Alive 305 said:
I am very aggravated at the low availability of the iPhone 3G. Why is it that companie never make enough of a popular product? Today, only 2 Apple stores in America had the black 16 gigabyte iPhone 3G. That is pathetic! If they don't have it readily available before school starts, I'm going to kill someone. That someone will most likely be Steve Jobs. Damn, I'm mad!!!
With that attitude, I hope you never get one.

jasoncordelle

Here in little old NZ - the first place in the world to get them - there's still plenty.

Stock is rapidly replenished and there hasn't been a line outside a store since the first night of sales.

People in NZ are kind of over it and waiting for the next big thing.