• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

The Philippines

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Provboy

Okay people, let me ask you this... What do you know about the Philippines? Perceptions, facts, experiences and anyting else related would be appreciated. No offense will be taken. Thanks

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
Truth to be told - nothing much.

I know a couple of people that came from there and they are top people, but I don't really know much about the place :p

Last edited:

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
provboy said:
Okay people, let me ask you this... What do you know about the Philippines? Perceptions, facts, experiences and anyting else related would be appreciated. No offense will be taken. Thanks
I lived in Markati City with my uncle back in '99 and I remember a lot of children in the streets so that was something really lasting for me, especially when you consider the rich-poor divide present.

Oh yeah and I remember you guys having a very cool Hard Rock Cafe too.

Provboy

Re: Re: The Philippines

Kristiano said:
I lived in Markati City with my uncle back in '99 and I remember a lot of children in the streets so that was something really lasting for me, especially when you consider the rich-poor divide present.

Oh yeah and I remember you guys having a very cool Hard Rock Cafe too.
yup, unfortunately the rich-poor gap is getting wider everyday.

the hard rock cafe is still open :)

and Kris, aren't there a lot of Filipina nannies in Singapore?

Provboy

Adam said:
Truth to be told - nothing much.

I know a couple of people that came from there and they are top people, but I don't really know much about the place :p
Thanks for being honest :) i visited Sydney once, in 1996. Beautiful. Also, a tow truck rammed us from behind, and that very same towtruck towed our car to the shop hehe

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Ok, you asked. Remember, no hard feelings.

I was in the Navy back in my youth, when I was single. Spent a fair amount of time at the old US Naval Station is Subic Bay. Olongapo, the Barrio and Subic City were frequent stops on the Jeepny ride. I recall San Miguel Beer, lots of hookers, the Sh/t river, lots of hookers, Bull-Frog, lots of hookers, Paying kids to keep other kids off of you, lots of hookers, Games of Smiles (PM me and I'll tell you), lots of hookers, hot humid weather, lots of hookers, cheap shirts, lots of hookers, cheap hotels, lots of hookers, the clap line back onboard, lots of hookers, Marcos and his wife, lots of hookers, Martial law in the late 80s, lots of hookers, the Coup attempt in 90, lots of hookers, Mt Pinatubo blowing up as we were pulling in, lots of hookers, Mt Pinatubo raining ash on mud on me in the Barrio, lots of hookers, watching a Filipino cop beat the crap out of a kid for no reason, lots of hookers, the fire pole at the Rock Lobster, lots of hookers, getting drunk and then tattooed, lots of hookers, the Florida Bar, lots of hookers, The White House Hotel in the Barrio and girl named Hermione, lots of hookers, 35 days inport strait, lots of hookers, The Officers club at NAS Subic (now in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Fla., btw), lots of hookers, being so broke you looked foreword to having duty onboard, lots of hookers, the way the place looked, all trashed and ruined after the eruption, lots of hookers, hauling US Civilians to the Southern PI to be evacuated, lots of hookers, Cleaning ash off the ship for months after we left the PI, lots of hookers, old friends I have not seen or thought of in years, lots of hookers, the poverty and much, much more.

The place was known throughout the Pacific fleet (and still is to some extent) as the "Adult Disney Land" of the far east. It was a mandatory port visit on the way to wherever (Vietnam, The Indian Ocean, The Persian Gulf, The Red Sea, The South China Sea etc) and on the way back. The base facilities there matched nearly any in the Continental US, including Dry Dock and Nuclear Power Repair facilities. The off duty, off base action was a lot more fun than most stateside ports. All of that is gone is now, or most of it is. The base has been closed for years, and while USN ships still stop there on occasion, I understand it's not the same anymore.

That being said, I have not been there in 15 years, and I hear it has changed much.

Last edited:

JazzyMac

Jazzy Smooth
provboy said:
Why do you ask?

I knew a girl in high school who was Filipino--one of my best friends actually. I also had a supervisor who always stressed out big time about everything. Filipino folks would come in the office, see him and start speaking Tagalic (sp), and he would wonder why (he couldn't speak it that well)...

Provboy

Hey baggss, your crew left a lot of foreign looking kids on Olongapo and Subic without any fathers! Hehe. 15 years is a long time.

So you were here when Mt. Pinatubo erupted eh. Tough times, but everything's a whole lot better now.

smorzander

Movie Master
i came to the philippines in 1998. i used to think it was really cool but latley it has really hit me how mush this place sucks (no offense anyone) i have practically grown up here and the economy has just gotten worse and worse....

and jazzymac, is tagalog. but in the recent decades it has morphed into 'taglish'

and baggs, if you ever wanna come visit, pm me :D

Provboy

hey rick, you said it sucks here (in some ways i agree) but can you be more specific?

and yup, english is killing our native tongue! taglish...

VanIdeL

Say What?
I know the capital is Manila :D

IMO, Thailand has more hookers than the Philippines nowadays. No offense meant.

rooster

Oberon Drinker
VanIdeL said:
IMO, Thailand has more hookers than the Philippines nowadays. No offense meant.

i really don't think it's possible to insult someone by saying another country has more hookers than his. although it would be pretty funny if someone was offended by their lack of hookers.

i could see that person running for office on the campain slogan "got hookers? we don't have enough!"

B. W.

rooster said:
i really don't think it's possible to insult someone by saying another country has more hookers than his. although it would be pretty funny if someone was offended by their lack of hookers.
On a related note, I think every country could use more hookers. :D

Anyway, my girlfriend is Filipino. What exactly do you want to know? :confused:

Provboy

Yeah we're very lovable hehe. Does she speak tagalog? or was she born and raised there?

WhereEaglesDare

My Aunt married a Phillipino guy. He's a successful Urologist, and makes alot of money. A kid at my school is Phillipino, but was born and raised here... I know my step-uncle has family in the Phillipines... I've never been there, so I don't really have an opinion on it...

ipodphoto30

coca cola is expensive there. at once point the phillipines was invaded by the hispanics and that's why today their blood has some spanish blood. apl.de.ap from the Black Eyed Peas is from the phillipines. almost every house there has a nanny or house cleaner. high school starts for them at 7th grade. the real way of spelling phillipines is the filipines. that's how they spell it. and that's alll i know, i got some of these facts from my friend who's filipino and has gone there before.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
The Philippines were not "Invaded by the Hispanics". The Philippines were a Spanish Colony until the US took them over during the Spanish American War. That is where there "Spanish" heritage comes from. Please do not mistake Hispanic for Spanish, as in from Spain, the two are very different.

Provboy

ipodphoto30 said:
coca cola is expensive there. at once point the phillipines was invaded by the hispanics and that's why today their blood has some spanish blood. apl.de.ap from the Black Eyed Peas is from the phillipines. almost every house there has a nanny or house cleaner. high school starts for them at 7th grade. the real way of spelling phillipines is the filipines. that's how they spell it. and that's alll i know, i got some of these facts from my friend who's filipino and has gone there before.
Coca Cola (in can) costs 20 Pesos or around 40 US cents

It's PhiliPPines, not PhiLLipines

We have 4 house cleaners/nannies

High school starts after the 6th (public school) or 7th (private school) grade

The real way is Filipinas (Spanish) and Pilipinas (Tagalog)

:)