The official iPhone discussion thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ltspongebob

Well the "wide-screen" "video" "iphone" is here. Its very nice, but not $600 nice...:eek: It will sell like mad i'm sure, but i'll wait for a cheaper model...

Would have been nice to have a model with no phone and add 80gb harddrive though... I'd buy that now...

Sponge

Last edited:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
U want it good and u want it cheap? :D

Meh either, but that's 'cuz am not into videos.

It's gonna make the video kids and touch screen fans very happy though, *if* they can afford it!

I think I'd wait for next year's iPhone-mini. Just phone+music is all I need.

robenco18

.....i think that the 600 dollar price tag makes it easier to wait and see if there are any glitches that need to be worked out with it, wait for it to go to like verizon or not. that isn't that big of a deal either way. plus, the price will go down greatly after some time.

i think it's one of the most amazing things i've ever seen in cell phones. but still not worth 600 dollars. and only 8gbs?

I'll wait for the 100+gb 6g iPod. whenever that comes out.

Very nice though...

edit : but what about that touch screen? another reason to wait it out. see how the screen reacts to fingers and possible scratches. hopefully not as easily scratched as the black iPod video.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
robenco18 said:
I'll wait for the 100+gb 6g iPod. whenever that comes out.
You hit the nail on the head. I have to say that merge calls and visual voicemail look pretty cool. I just don't have any need for a phone, any money, or any half-way decent Cingular coverage, otherwise I'd be all over it.

bootsie

I want that!

Except not a phone! Just the video ipod!

And not at that price tag!

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
I don't need a cell phone. Let alone a $600 cell phone that you're bound to keep paying for service for 2 years.

I say screw the phone and release the iVid or something that'll be just an iPod, but wide/touchscreen.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I wonder if u can buy the thing wo Cingular service. So if ur not using the phone, why force u into a contract?

However, carrying two gadgets when u can have one is tempting eh?

Hanafuda

All that capability and potential, and not enough space to do anything with it. 4G, 8G??? And how much space will the OS take up? I don't understand. It's like they built a Lamborghini with a 6 ounce gas tank.

ChipT

Well now that Steve has said this is the finest iPod he's ever made, does that mean that any further iPod upgrade could be exactly the same without the phone? I mean if you've already made the jump to widescreen, you HAVE to apply it to video. But at only 8G, the iPhone really isn't a widescreen video player.

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
You might be able to buy it contract less, but then you're looking at an even higher price. All for 8GB? I'll pass.

If they replaced the current 5G line-up with this model, but with an HD and at roughly the same price I'd jump in a second.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Hanafuda said:
All that capability and potential, and not enough space to do anything with it. 4G, 8G??? And how much space will the OS take up? I don't understand. It's like they built a Lamborghini with a 6 ounce gas tank.
Oh right, missed that. A video iPod with 8 gig? dang, that's barely enough for music.

But u know what gangs, now that the wide screen hardware and touch screen is out, they just need to make a slightly thicker casing and make it into a AV-only iPod with a big HD. AND THE ADVENTURE continues on all predictions on how the 6G looks like!

sharpycl

I WANT THIS!!!!

I'm gonna wait till a few months after it is released before I buy. So far what I'm seeing on apple's web site seems like it could replace my nano, and cell phone, but I also have a PDA so i'm curious to know how strong are the PIM software if any.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Knowing Apple, the software will be excellent. How does it interface with a Windows box, that's another matter. :D

Anybody wanna bet Apple paid Cisco major $dough to use "iPhone"? Otherwise the thing would be $150 cheaper!

Arkonnan

It's a pretty sweet device. As far as touch screen controls/interface design goes, it's everything I was hoping for and then some. But the phone means nothing to me personally. If they take out the phone functionality, remove the puny 8 gig flash storage and add a 100 gig hard disk in its place, I'd grab one in a heart beat.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the coming iPod upgrades. They've come too far to take a step backward storage-wise. People who just want a high-capacity music/video player are still counting on large storage, and I doubt Apple is going to leave them in the cold.

ChipT

Dear Mr. Jobs

Congratulations on another successful keynote speech. It goes without saying that you’ve outdone yourself. Once again, you’ve exceeded all expectations and laid the question of competition to rest.

While I must acknowledge that your new iPhone is incredibly innovative, I admit that I was hoping to something a bit more in line with your previous exploits. Specifically, I was looking for the fabled 6G iPod.

I realize that announcing an iPod with similar functionality minus the phone and internet capabilities would put somewhat of a damper on the fanfare of the day. However, it would also send another shot across Microsoft’s bow as their Zune hype bubble continues to deflate.

A widescreen is great for internet browsing, but I believe that it is best utilized to view movies. With your recent deal with Paramount, you have the perfect foundation to launch a new line of iPods. I envision an iPod that is scratch-resistant, usable without having to view the screen, and Bluetooth enabled. I dream of capacities of 60GB or more along with firewire connectivity. The accelerometer that you included in the iPhone could be used to detect a sudden freefall, shutting down the hard drive to prevent further damage upon impact.

So I have the following declaration for you, Steve Jobs: I have $500 set aside. In fact, it has been set aside for the past 4 months since my previous iPod suffered water damage and I heard rumors of a touchscreen update. The day you release this requested update, I give you my word that you will be at least $500 more wealthy. A man of your current affluence may not mark the significance of an additional $500. But take it as both a show of good faith, and an acknowledgement that behind me there is an army of consumers who are holding out for the same thing.

Regards

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Arkonnan said:
I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the coming iPod upgrades.
Dunn worry, u should see more, but the wait is gonna be gut-wrentching for the some of u. :D

This device is really a PHONE FIRST/PDA/WebSurfer, then a video player (just 'cuz of the larger screen) second.

Steve Jobs has a history of making stuff that he dreams of (thinner! revolutionary! cool!), then a year later the more down-to-earth accountants (hey, we "gotta make money") convince him to make another model more to everybody's liking to be the "cash cow."

bdb

On the B side of life
Its some cool technology, but it'll be too tiny for websurfing, and too space-constrained for a video player (and really pretty space-constrained for a MP3 player). It looks awfully fragile for a cellphone, too.

Cellphone interfaces are pretty bad, but is it worth an extra $300-400 over today's top phones to have a pretty interface? Maybe if you use it a lot, I guess. That sort of implies business users...business users who are satisfied with using Yahoo for e-mail! :shake:

It really makes me wonder who they thought they were building this for.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
After thinking a little more about it, they should have a Build-Your-Own type of thing like most companies do with laptops. I'm not sure what the premium charge that adds is, but if it's low enough, it would be the easiest way to make everyone happy. You could get only the components you want no matter what they were. If you wanted the internet functionality without the phone, and with a 100 Gig HD, I don't see why you shouldn't be able too. Really, if it runs OS X, even a chopped down and different version, it IS a computer and shouyld be sold as such.

edit: Additionally, you have to remember the price of the first gen iPod. It was 5 or 6 hundred bucks, had a 5 gig drive and was the size of a brick (A very tiny brick, but it was big). In a couple years the price will be down significantly, but in the time being the early adopters will be happy.

Last edited:

jdawson

Website
bitstop.ca
I couldn't agree more with some of the post already here. Sorry Apple I love my 3G iPod and what a new one very bad but I am happy with my current cell phone plan and I don't want to switch to another cell phone company.

We also know that when you use any cell phone and make lots of calls the batteries die. But you can snap in an extra battery and off you go. Is this device going to have user replicable batteries or are we looking at a device where I have to send it back to Apple or service for a new cell phone battery?

For me I would like Apple to drop the phone from the device and add in a hard drive please. The average TV show download or rip off my TV is 350/600 Megs. Eight Gigs in a video player is just not enough for me. I know another company has announced a video player that is also eight Gigs and they say you can put 33 hours of video on it. While I am sure they wouldn’t lie, I just can’t imagine what the video quality must be like. It must be cell phone video quality and I am not interested in that.

I very much want to get a new wide screen 60+ gig video iPod. I hope they come out with it soon as I have to buy my forth replacement battery for my 3G iPod soon.

As for some of the 802.11b/g stuff could be fun to play with but music and videos is what I want at the core of the device.

My 0.02

Last edited:

Agg2001

Egomaniacal Elitist
Website
www.gmlanddesigner.com
one of the things that seems to me would be quite a big problem, is the whole "putting the screen on your ear and expecting to see clearly through it." now this may sound gross to some, but everybody i've talked to has a hard time seeing their little razor screen after using it. as humans, we're pretty much filthy creatures (even right out of the shower). having that kind of skin/oil/gross all over the screen is going to present problems when trying to wipe it off (if it's going to be as scratch prone as any of the G5's are currently)... just a thought. i know... it's a gross thought, but still... put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)