The official iPhone discussion thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PG4G

Ah... they have had a 32GB iPod Touch for a while. The iPhone won't go to 32 GB until touch goes to 64. Apple has said this is because "there is not enough room for more memory with the components of the Phone in it" but it may have a lot to do with the fact that they are trying to differentiate the two touchscreen devices, the iPod touch for those who want multitouch PDA with more memory, and iPhone for those who want a multitouch PDA with a phone section.

thestud

Mute button problem - HELP!

Is there a way to mute the iPhone with a software, instead of using the mute button on its side?:confused:

I unfortunately dropped my phone, and its aluminum back cover got damaged right where the side button is. For this reason its very hard to make that lil' button move up and down.
I would very much like to use a software or know about a setting that would allow me to control my iPhone's mute/un-mute setting without touching my hardly moving mute button.

Thanks a lot!

iPodj00ser

wait, you can zoom with the camera... you just zoom like you would when browsing in safari or anything by using your fingers to "stretch" the screen

domcole_uk

Hi all,

Just been browsing through MacRumors.com and they mentioned a 4gb Apple iPhone- I was only aware of the 8gb and 16gb versions. I took a quick look on eBay.co.uk and there were a handful of 4gb models, weather they are legitimate or not, I don't know. Having said that- there is a guy selling them when he has 500+ positive feedback.

Take a look.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APPLE-iPHONE-4...d=p3286.c0.m14

Domcole_uk

Kaspar 15

domcole_uk said:
Hi all,

Just been browsing through MacRumors.com and they mentioned a 4gb Apple iPhone- I was only aware of the 8gb and 16gb versions. I took a quick look on eBay.co.uk and there were a handful of 4gb models, weather they are legitimate or not, I don't know.

Domcole_uk
Well, before they released the 16GB iPhone, there were the original 4GB and 8GB versions.

Edit: The 4GB version was discontinued on September 5, 2007, and the 16GB version was announced on February 5, 2008.

Last edited:

Sparky_92

thestud said:
I unfortunately dropped my phone, and its aluminum back cover got damaged right where the side button is. For this reason its very hard to make that lil' button move up and down.
..and that's EXACTLY the reason I use the Contour Showcase on my iPhone. My wife dropped it from four feet smack onto concrete, and though the case got a nice dent... the phone is fine!.

No way am I going to not protect a $500 chunk of metal and plastic.

AldrinRed1

I'm here in Australia and having the iPhone for like US$199 for 8 GB as Steve Jobs has promised, is not a reality.

What the networks are doing is like, they are trying to cash in on installments and data plans. Imagine, getting it outright would cost like A$729 (approx.US$701) for 8 GB and A$849 (approx. US$ 816)for 16GB with A$80 (approx. US$76)unlocking fee. I practically have my SIM card and around WiFi spots most of the time. What I really wanted is, just buy the phone and plug my SIM card. Anyway, the iPhone is locked to whatever network it might be in as I will be plugging the necessary SIM card. And with the issue of activation, is my SIM already activated to the network and just having another phone (iPhone) to just use the services?

Where is Steves Jobs' promise of cheaper iPhone?

Last edited:

sb_beetle

$199 US 8Gig and $299 US 16Gig for G3

AldrinRed1 said:
I'm here in Australia and having the iPhone for like US$199 for 8 GB as Steve Jobs has promised, is not a reality.

What the networks are doing is like, they are trying to cash in on installments and data plans. Imagine, getting it outright would cost like A$729 (approx.US$701) for 8 GB and A$849 (approx. US$ 816)for 16GB with A$80 (approx. US$76)unlocking fee. I practically have my SIM card and around WiFi spots most of the time. What I really wanted is, just buy the phone and plug my SIM card. Anyway, the iPhone is locked to whatever network it might be in as I will be plugging the necessary SIM card. And with the issue of activation, is my SIM already activated to the network and just having another phone (iPhone) to just use the services?

Where is Steves Jobs' promise of cheaper iPhone?
Where are you coming up with your prices? :rolleyes:

toodles

this might be a dumb question as i dont have a 1st gen iphone or a 3g iphone.

THe main thing holding me back is i hear with the 1st gen iphone you couldnt add songs to the iphone like a normal ipod. YOu had to upload playlist. So i couldnt upload a full album or single songs, only a playlist.

Has this been fixed for the new 3g iphones? I am looking to replace my phone and ipod, if the iphone can work like a normal ipod should including how the music gets put onto it then i would definatly get one.

sb_beetle

toodles said:
this might be a dumb question as i dont have a 1st gen iphone or a 3g iphone.

THe main thing holding me back is i hear with the 1st gen iphone you couldnt add songs to the iphone like a normal ipod. YOu had to upload playlist. So i couldnt upload a full album or single songs, only a playlist.

Has this been fixed for the new 3g iphones? I am looking to replace my phone and ipod, if the iphone can work like a normal ipod should including how the music gets put onto it then i would definatly get one.
You can add individual songs, playlists etc. For both. I believe in the first few firmware releases on the first generation you had to jump through a few hoops to transfer, but that has since been resolved.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
toodles said:

It's still playlist based. BUT, it's easy enough to do. Just make a playlist called "Music" or whatever and then drag whatever songs you want synched to the phone to that list. It's exactly the same as if you were dragging songs and albums to the iPhone itself, you just drag them to a playlist instead.

toodles

Surf Monkey said:
It's still playlist based. BUT, it's easy enough to do. Just make a playlist called "Music" or whatever and then drag whatever songs you want synched to the phone to that list. It's exactly the same as if you were dragging songs and albums to the iPhone itself, you just drag them to a playlist instead.
yes but if i do that it will list everything as if it was in the same playlist correct?

it wont have the folder tier inside that playlist with artist album genre etc to sort through.

it will just list everything as single songs?

having 14gigs of music in a music playlist would be a pain in the ###!

Skrat

Surf Monkey's idea is the best one. You don't have to have just one playlist. You can create as many as you want (think of them as folders if you wish) and then sync each of the playlists to your iPhone. That gives you smaller lists with more control over the content in each list.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
toodles said:
yes but if i do that it will list everything as if it was in the same playlist correct?

it wont have the folder tier inside that playlist with artist album genre etc to sort through.

it will just list everything as single songs?

having 14gigs of music in a music playlist would be a pain in the ###!

Yes and no. While there are no custom sorts available within the playlists, you can still browse your songs by artist and album outside of the playlist. All the playlist does is give you a central point inside iTunes to drop your music. The iPhone still provides sorts for genre, artist, album, song and so forth as separate, playlist independent views. In your case, where you'll probably only have the one playlist, you can essentially ignore the list altogether and just use the built in sorts that iPhone offers.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, you can manually manage the iPhone like you can with other iPod models now.... Well almost, anyway... The manual management capabilities came with iTunes 7.6 when it was released in January, but for whatever reason you're still prevented from doing this on more than one computer.

So while you can drag and drop tracks onto your iPhone in manual mode on your primary computer, it will still show up as if it's automatically managed on any other iTunes library you connect it to. I was hoping they'd fix this with the v2.0 firmware, since it seems like an obvious bug (the issue being that the "manual" setting doesn't travel with the iPhone to other computers), but alas it's still the case.

toodles

jhollington said:
Actually, you can manually manage the iPhone like you can with other iPod models now.... Well almost, anyway... The manual management capabilities came with iTunes 7.6 when it was released in January, but for whatever reason you're still prevented from doing this on more than one computer.

So while you can drag and drop tracks onto your iPhone in manual mode on your primary computer, it will still show up as if it's automatically managed on any other iTunes library you connect it to. I was hoping they'd fix this with the v2.0 firmware, since it seems like an obvious bug (the issue being that the "manual" setting doesn't travel with the iPhone to other computers), but alas it's still the case.
so your saying as long as i only use 1 computer on manual mode it works just like my normal 5g ipod? i only manage music now on 1 computer so that would not bother me. plus if its a bug within itunes or something maybe it will work with winamp correctly.

Website
www.ilounge.com
In terms of iTunes, that's correct -- you can set the iPhone to manual mode and then drag-and-drop content onto it as you would with a 5G iPod, but only from your primary computer. If you connect the iPhone to another iTunes library, it will show up as if it's still in automatic sync mode and you won't be able to manage it from iTunes.

However, for applications other than iTunes, this may not work the same way... The iPhone (and iPod touch) uses a different synchronization protocol than the traditional iPod models, so unless these third-party apps have been specifically updated to work with the iPhone and iPod touch, you won't be able to use them to transfer music or manage content on your iPhone at all.

Note that there are some specific third-party tools that do work for this, however, such as TouchCopy (for Windows users) and PhoneView (for Mac users). Unfortunately, these apps cost extra.

toodles

jhollington said:
In terms of iTunes, that's correct -- you can set the iPhone to manual mode and then drag-and-drop content onto it as you would with a 5G iPod, but only from your primary computer. If you connect the iPhone to another iTunes library, it will show up as if it's still in automatic sync mode and you won't be able to manage it from iTunes.

However, for applications other than iTunes, this may not work the same way... The iPhone (and iPod touch) uses a different synchronization protocol than the traditional iPod models, so unless these third-party apps have been specifically updated to work with the iPhone and iPod touch, you won't be able to use them to transfer music or manage content on your iPhone at all.

Note that there are some specific third-party tools that do work for this, however, such as TouchCopy (for Windows users) and PhoneView (for Mac users). Unfortunately, these apps cost extra.
thanks for the heads up man. Might have to get a iphone to replace my razr and ipod now knowing that. the whole playlist deal really made me give a cold shoulder.

Only apps i really see me installling as of now would be a myspace, facebook, twitter and aim.

Germansuplex

Loving my 3G thus far, but the volume buttons suck. I like the look of the chrome, but there is almost NO feedback on the buttons. They're way too soft and mushy when you press them. The 2G had nice, "clicky" buttons that you could feel and even hear.

I do love the feel of it though: the reviews were right when they said it feels thinner than the 2G even though it's slightly thicker. The curves of the 3G just fit so well in your hand. And the plastic isn't cheap feeling at all to me like I've read in some reviews: it's light but also solid at the same time.

The GPS is very good, sound quality improved.... really loving the phone. I'm just a bit miffed there is no sproggler program to submit the tracks to Last.fm. I really don't want to jailbreak because Mobile Sproggler was the only program I jailbroke the 2G for... I'd hate to do it this for only one lousy program. Come on Apple, give us some last.fm submission capabilities.

Last edited:
Website
www.ilounge.com
Germansuplex said:
Loving my 3G thus far, but the volume buttons suck. I like the look of the chrome, but there is almost NO feedback on the buttons. They're way too soft and mushy when you press them. The 2G had nice, "clicky" buttons that you could feel and even hear.
Hmmm, that might be simply the result of a subtle manufacturing difference, since my iPhone 3G volume buttons feel about the same as they did on my original iPhone.

If anything, I find the ringer/silent switch to be stiffer than the first-gen iPhone. It requires a bit more pressure than my original iPhone did, although that may be just because it' new, and of course like the volume buttons YMMV.

I do love the feel of it though: the reviews were right when they said it feels thinner than the 2G even though it's slightly thicker. The curves of the 3G just fit so well in your hand. And the plastic isn't cheap feeling at all to me like I've read in some reviews: it's light but also solid at the same time.
I'd agree with this. The original iPhone just never felt quite right when holding it up to the side of my head -- it always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand.

The GPS is very good, sound quality improved.... really loving the phone. I'm just a bit miffed there is no sproggler program to submit the tracks to Last.fm. I really don't want to jailbreak because Mobile Sproggler was the only program I jailbroke the 2G for... I'd hate to do it this for only one lousy program. Come on Apple, give us some last.fm submission capabilities.
There is a Last.fm app in the iTunes Store, but unfortunately this is only useful for viewing Last.fm and doesn't actually scrobble any tracks.

It wouldn't be difficult to write a scrobbler application that could at least read in the information from your iPhone's "recently played" list, but I suspect the current SDK "Sandbox" restrictions are getting in the way of that -- I don't think third-party apps are permitted access to any media content.

In fact, I suspect the same is true of the photo library and camera roll. There are a number of apps that will allow you to take pictures for submission to Facebook, Flickr, etc., but none of these seem to allow you to select an existing picture from your iPhone.

Hopefully these types of restrictions will be relaxed as the SDK evolves.