The official iPhone discussion thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

NYIllustrator

Keep on 'Podin
Website
www.anthonyguido.com
Apple has stated it will be a locked unit and no third party software development will be allowed. Of course Im sure there will be things you can download from Cingular and pay for just like any other phone, but we wont see any of those games, emulators or apps that all those developers made for the Pocket PC.

I think the iphone is cool and might get better in the future and the UI is WAAAAY better than Pocket PC, but the bottom line is my Pocket PC Phone can still do everything the iphone can plus more, even if it doesnt do it as elegantly. I mean my Pocket PC has a program that is just as good as Photoshop on it (Pocket Artist), when I start seeing some killer apps and games on the iphone (if they ever release a SDK) then I will get it.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, the iPhone will only initially be released for Cingular, and will almost certainly be a "locked" phone to work with only that carrier. However, this doesn't mean it won't be capable of being released for other carriers.

Any GSM carrier can technically support the iPhone, subject to Apple providing the iPhone to those carriers. In the U.S., I believe the options are Cingular and T-Mobile, although Apple has signed a "multi-year exclusive" deal with Cingular, so I don't expect that T-Mobile will have them for some time.

In other countries, that's more of a mixed bag, as we don't know who Apple is going to sign with. In Canada, there is only one major GSM provider, and that is Rogers (Fido also provides GSM, but since they're owned by Rogers now, it's really just a different brand).

.iLou.

Obsessed Lounger
The iPhone.
Something to expensive and unusable to me. 600 dollars, plus the monthly phone bill. I don't think so. It is really neat and stuff, because I want a cell phone, but I can live without it because I wouldn't use that part a lot. The 8GB really kills it. I have a 30GB 5.5G. I am filling that thing up like crazy. 8GB would be gone. The touchscreen part? Couldn't the screen scratch/crack/fingerprint easily? The new iPhone is a cool thing though for Apple. It may be a perfect thing for you, but for me, I am sticking with my 5.5G 30GB Black iPod Video.

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
i LOVE the multi functionality of my iPod, but I just need a phone to make telephone calls, that's it

I don't need a crappy camera, a stupid tip calculator, or crappy eight bit games

now for the iPhone, it looks like a very nice piece of technology with many advancements, but like I said, I only need to make telephone calls on a phone

joeylang

Man, i cant believe this whole," all i need is to make calls" bit. I dont personally know one person that wants a phone to simply make calls. I think cell phone were meant to do many things, and i personally use my phone for a lot of stuff. If i forget my calculater in math, then i can pull out my phone and do something right quick, or if i am bored on a bus ride, then i can pull out my cell phone and listen to music or play games. There are many uses for cell phones, but the iPhone just implements many of these uses way better than most phone, espacially in the internet/mp3 player catogories.

Germansuplex

Actually, I know plenty of people who only want a phone to make calls. Some people simply don't care about mp3 players, music, etc. Personally, I love technology and the smartphones and all that jazz, but the fact is, there's a fair margin of people who simply don't care about all that stuff. They want a phone with a clear signal, and that's all they need.

The thing I'm curious to see is what content gets added to the iTunes music store after the release of the iPhone. Rigntones, possible third-party apps and widgets... I think it'll be interesting to see.

I definetely want this phone. I have an iPod now, but due to the fact that I rarely listen to the majority of my music collection (I have tons of CDs, but other than the rare quality CD that isn't filled with... filler, only a few songs from each CD get listened to), 8 gigs is ample storage for a fair amount of music and a handful of vids. However, I wonder how much stuff like Visual Voicemail and internet access on the phone will cost. I'd imagine that when in range of a wireless connection, surely it would be free? Especially if the iPhone is as good as it says it is with automatically switching between signals.

joeylang

Well i agree with you, and i too am curious to see what is going to b added to the itunes store. I hadnt though of this until now, but what if they had like songs that came with ringtones or sumtin, that would be really cool. I definatly am getting this phone, and probably selling my ipod. Apple said 3rd party apps would nto be supported, but it would be cool if they had widgets on the itunes store as well.

juiceranch

any word if you can buy the phone without contract?

600 with contract is too much. there are many other phones for so much cheaper. slvr? its a bit of a sacrafice, but the price difference..

thinking 900-1000 for the iphone without cingular?

could buy a laptop with that. maybe 80 gb. plenty of room for music and videos there. and get internet phone. its free.

joeylang

WEll the problem is that it wont be sold outside of cingular. So basicaly you pay 5/600 dollars or nothing, because they have a multi-year exclusivity contract with apple that states that it is to not be sold at any other carrier than cingular. But i do agree, you could get a laptop with that money, but i guess it all depends on what you want. SOme people are really into cell phones nd mp3 players(me), so i would rather get this than a mediocre laptop for 600 bucks.

the god of the

the iphone looks freakin sweet id sell my toes to get it and possibly my fingers lol
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
oh one more thing yay widgets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

the god of the

paranoidxe said:
The iPhone price is with a 2 year contract too, I can't imagine the RETAIL price on the sucker.

Internet? I bet its slow as hell, at least it is with blackberry devices..and I have a computer for that and most current phones support it.

Videos? My 5G does that.
Songs? My nano/5G does that.
8GB capacity? Pathetic, my iPod has 10 times that capacity.
Price? I could buy two 80GB iPods for the price of one 8GB iPhone.

As far as I can tell the only thing this device really revolutionalizes is a touch screen..and that really doesn't justify the price tag.

The iPhone is really stuck in the middle, it has a bunch of business applications that kids won't touch and at the same time it has video/music functions that businesses/older generation won't touch, I highly doubt any serious company is going to buy these phones for their employees. So who is it marketed for?
one simple answer to your question me lol ;)

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Well, I have a Blackberry and I really like it. I use the email functions, the calendaring, the contact management and so forth. BUT, if I had to give it up, I wouldn't miss that stuff all that much. Sure, it's nice to have that information with me on the road but I also have it on my laptop, on my Palm and on my desktop. Games and chat don't ring my bell.

So, I could live without everything that supposedly makes the iPhone unique. And even if I couldn't, there are dozens of great smart phones on the market that do just as much or more than iPhone for far less than half the price.

That, I think, is the primary difference between iPhone and iPod for me. I can live without all the gizmos on a smart phone. I can NOT live without iPod. The fact of the matter is that iPhone is not an iPod. It's just a fancy phone with iTunes and a little dribble of storage space. That's not enough to attract me to purchase it. And truth be told, if iPod ends up morphing into iPhone lite, I'm going to be very disappointed. I don't want my media player to be a Newton or a Palm or whatever. I want it to be a media player.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and suggest that I'm the stereotypical iPhone target but judging by all the comments here and elsewhere, I believe that iPhone is going to be a MUCH harder sell than Apple seems to think it is. iPod has a vastly broader appeal than iPhone will ever have. When iPod came along, the MP3 market sucked. There was nothing even remotely similar in terms of raw usability and sexy design on the market. iPhone faces a vastly different playing field. The competition amongst smart phone makers is fierce and there are already a ton of sexy alternatives out there. With the advent of iPhone, these other manufacturers are going to amp up their offerings in very short order. iPhone has essentially no chance of remaining a best-of-class product for any significant amount of time.

And further, there's a lot of legitimacy to the opinions of those who say that they "just want a phone." Most devices that are "just phones" already have contact management, calendaring, games, chat and so forth. Not just smart phones, but ALL phones. You don't have to pay one red cent to get a phone that makes crystal clear calls, has excellent call tracking, integrates with iCal and Address book and so forth. I'm of the opinion that unless and until there's a true convergence of devices, people are going to continue to buy MP3 players AND phones as separate devices. iPhone isn't going to change that.

Bottom line: I'm not going to buy an iPhone and personally, I think its future is very uncertain. Apple is not infallable. They can just as easily stumble as succeed. The comments I've been reading suggest that it's up in the air at this point. We'll just have to wait and see how many of these things Apple actually sells. Don't believe the hype, people. Until it's on the market and people are buying them, it's all speculation. Me? I'll stick with my Blackberry and my 5.5g iPod.

SenorCorwin

Apple is aiming for 1% of the market share worldwide. The phone also comes with a 50% markup... I highly doubt they stumble.

You also mention you have a palm and smartphone... sounds to me like an iPhone might cost just as much as both those items and perform their functions. The music option would be nice for listening to whats currently my most played. Not for traveling or the car but day to day when I have a half hour of downtime.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
SenorCorwin said:
Apple is aiming for 1% of the market share worldwide. The phone also comes with a 50% markup... I highly doubt they stumble.
Apple isn't going to be rolling this out world wide, at least not at first. Look how long it took to get iPod and iTunes rolled out across the globe. You still can't get iTunes in many countries.

SenorCorwin said:
You also mention you have a palm and smartphone... sounds to me like an iPhone might cost just as much as both those items and perform their functions.
You're missing the point. First of all, the smart phone I have didn't cost me a dime because such phones are readily available with a service contract at steeply discounted rates. You can go to any one of the major carriers right now and get a servicable smart phone for free or next to free. As far as my Palm goes, I already own that (it cost $299) and I have no need to upgrade it any time soon. So the reality is that I paid far less for the setup I have now and iPhone offers no compelling reason to spend a bunch more money to get the same funtions in a sexier case.

SenorCorwin said:
The music option would be nice for listening to whats currently my most played. Not for traveling or the car but day to day when I have a half hour of downtime.
Sure, but you can get that function for a lot less money in either a phone or a Nano or any number of other MP3 players. Again, the point isn't that the iPhone doesn't have nice features. It does. But it isn't enough of an advance in the technology to make it a "must buy" device in the same way that iPod was when it came along.

SenorCorwin

Ill answer in order...

1. In a years time he would like 1% worldwide... again totally achievable.

2. What point? Comparable phones run $199.99 and your Palm is $299 along with your iPod you must have a batman utility belt look going on or very full pockets.

Grand total of 648.00 The price is not ridiculous.

3. Condensing all the above products into one would make it nice and its music/video capability makes it incomparable to any phone on the market. Size and functionality.

the god of the

SenorCorwin said:
Ill answer in order...

1. In a years time he would like 1% worldwide... again totally achievable.

2. What point? Comparable phones run $199.99 and your Palm is $299 along with your iPod you must have a batman utility belt look going on or very full pockets.

Grand total of 648.00 The price is not ridiculous.

3. Condensing all the above products into one would make it nice and its music/video capability makes it incomparable to any phone on the market. Size and functionality.
i completely agree but if you have an ipod and a smart phone already i would suggest you stick with that if you have one or the other than MABY you could buy i guess it depends on if either on your smart phone or ipod need an upgrade