The official iPhone discussion thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SilverBullet3G

Based on the fact that i have the iphone4 (not 4S), Im very excited to get the iphone5. Having Siri will be fun, although I probably wont use it too often. The better camera and bigger screen and resolution are all upgrades from my iphone4 currently, so yes, I cant wait :)

SilverBullet3G

I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 (black/32GB) just now. Will be arriving on the 21st. Cannot wait !!! :happy dance:

SilverBullet3G

Where did you pre-order it from, Jesse? Didnt realize there was a 1-hour window for that. I did notice when I was on AT&T ordering it, initially it said ships in 2 weeks. But after my order was complete and my email arrived, it said it would arrive on 9/21/12.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
There wasn't actually a one-hour window -- that's just about how long it took Apple to sell out of pre-order stock. Last year I pre-ordered my iPhone 4S in the same way, but didn't bother waiting up -- I just placed an order as soon as I got up in the morning (which was still pretty early), and didn't have any problems. Obviously Apple either has lower stock on the iPhone 5 or the demand is much higher (or both).

I ordered mine directly from the Apple Store online in Canada. I prefer to get mine unlocked so I'm not tied into a three year contract and can also easily switch carriers at will (we have four up here that all support the iPhone). Carrier pre-order options are also somewhat more limited up here, with Apple not offering anything directly, and individual carriers generally requiring you to visit a store to place your pre-order, or reserve online (for store pickup) for an additional fee. Not worth the hassle even if I wanted to sign a contract.

SilverBullet3G

How much did you pay for the unlocked iphone5 if I may ask? 32gb or 64gb? Ive been with AT&T for years so dont have much concern or desire to switch carriers so I got the 32gb iphone5 for $299 with a new 2-year contract which is fine with me. I think it would have been $700+ for no commitment though. I tried initially going on apple's site to pre-order mine, but for whatever reason couldnt access my at&t account to them, so I went directly to at&t. Same item, same price, so no worries.

I did hear on the news today that only AT&T allows you to surf and make calls at the same time on the iphone5. They mentioned Verizon and Sprint wont allow that. I think that was the case previously but not sure exactly.

Some are upset about the new lightning connector and how their accessories will now require an adaptor. I plan on getting one adaptor soon but not right now. I can easily charge mine with the connector and my PC/iTunes for now.

Did find a few new screen protectors already for the iPhone5. I decided on the new one from Zagg here:
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-the-new-iphone-5-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php?default=extreme_vid&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EXTREME Announcement - Not Contest&utm_content=&spMailingID=4776790&spUserID=OTg5OTcyNjc4OAS2&spJobID=52895163&spReportId=NTI4OTUxNjMS1

I got the smudge-free version opposed to the HD or Xtreme version. The smudge free is $19.99 and lifetime warranty/replacement. :)

Last edited:

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
How much did you pay for the unlocked iphone5 if I may ask? 32gb or 64gb? Ive been with AT&T for years so dont have much concern or desire to switch carriers so I got the 32gb iphone5 for $299 with a new 2-year contract which is fine with me. I think it would have been $700+ for no commitment though. I tried initially going on apple's site to pre-order mine, but for whatever reason couldnt access my at&t account to them, so I went directly to at&t. Same item, same price, so no worries.
64GB, black -- $899 CAD. I suspect the U.S. price will be a little bit lower than that when they start selling them unlocked down there. The rule of thumb seems to be $500 more than the on-contract price.

With four carriers to choose from and three-year contracts up here, unlocked is definitely a better option. I worried about it a bit less when the earlier iPhone models came out, as there were fewer carriers back then -- two carriers that were really both the same company, Rogers. Bell and Telus upgraded their networks to 3G for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, however, and it's been nice to be able to stay off-contract and also switch whenever a better deal comes along (not often, but I've taken advantage of it at least once so far). Plus, the carriers up here seem to provide better customer service when they realize that you can actually leave any time :)

I did hear on the news today that only AT&T allows you to surf and make calls at the same time on the iphone5. They mentioned Verizon and Sprint wont allow that. I think that was the case previously but not sure exactly.
Yeah, nothing new there -- that's an inherent limitation of the CDMA network used by those carriers, and isn't a unique problem with the iPhone, in fact.

Some are upset about the new lightning connector and how their accessories will now require an adaptor. I plan on getting one adaptor soon but not right now. I can easily charge mine with the connector and my PC/iTunes for now.
I'm in the same boat in that regard. I'll miss the ability to dock my iPhone with my clock radio at night, but I can live without that for now as it also supports Bluetooth and I can just use the cable to charge it. As a result, I'll also have more limited charging options initially -- I'm used to having Dock Connector based accessories placed strategically around the house for that -- but I'm going to wait it out and see what else arrives in that regard before bothering with the stupidly-expensive adapters, particularly since they're just too big -- the iPhone 5 is already taller... I can't imagine sticking one of those adapters on the bottom and then sticking it into a dock.

Also haven't been a screen protector user since the iPhone 3G. I did really hate how much the older ones smudged, but ever since Apple added the oleophobic coating it's really not that bad -- smudges and fingerprints pretty much come off with a quick wipe against my shirt.

SilverBullet3G

Sounds like a pretty good deal up there in Canada with all the competition. I can understand about them having better customer service, since you can just up and leave them at will, that makes sense.

I never really dock my iPhone anywhere anyway. I still have a 2nd Gen Ipod I use when I listen to music inside. I have a powerful mini shelf system with ipod dock and also a nice JBL round mini dock/speaker system I use on the patio at times. I only use the connector/charger on my iPhone when I sync it on my PC, so the new connector wont affect me one bit, but will probably get an extra one anyway soon.

I feel much safer with a screen protector only because usually when carrying my iPhone with me in my pocket, if I have anything else in the same pocket (which I try not to do), I might get some scratches which I definitely dont want, so thats peace of mind for me. Im not a Case person either, I dont like how bulky they make the iPhone and when putting in or out of your pocket, it seems to "stick" to your pants, so Id rather have a screen protector. Its all a matter of preference and what you're comfortable with. Nice to have options :)

clairefu

My iPhone 5 was delivered around 10:30 this morning and after a few hours playing around with it I'm very happy. Transferring all my information over was a breeze as was setting it up. I didn't have any of the scratches or screen bubbles and such that people have been noting online, so I consider myself lucky. Ran down to the local AT&T store to pick up a waterproof iphone 5 case and screen protector just to be on the safe side. Coming from the iPhone 4 I'm amazed by how light it feels and moves faster, and I'm totally loving the new earPods.

WizNL

If there’s any silver lining in Apple’s switch to Lightning, it’s the fact that both consumers and developers have had at least a year of foreshadowing that a transition was going to happen, during which time wireless and USB-based wired accessories really began to pick up steam .....

Bluetooth 4.0. Like the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 5 supports the latest Bluetooth 4.0/Bluetooth Smart wireless specification, and is backwards-compatible with several older generations of Bluetooth devices.
This actually is the point where I think that Apple seriously dropped the ball. Wireless devices, ok, but this would have been the point in time where, in complete alignment with their new Macbook and iMac devices, Apple should have introduced APT-X on the iPhone, allowing for wireless high-quality audio connectivity into headphones, wireless speakers and car stereo's. HTC with its One series is the only one who clearly got the right message here.

From my end it will now be a lot of praying and finger crossing to see if I can use my built-in iPod car interface as well as my APT-X dongle with the new Lightning->30-pin adapter ... grrmpphhh

Olis4

The iPhone does feel very fragile to me but I do love the speed. Really impressed.

coolitunes

I am watching match always on this wide screen love to see it.mainly i can view this every where , in train ,bus every where.Luv it.

Expidia

Pointer capacitive stylus needed for my iphone 5

I had bought 3 packs of 3 capacitive stylus for use with our two iPads.
They work great but now that my wife just got her iphone 5 and she put the $20 stock verizon store case on it . . .

It has a small edge to the case for protection. When she tries to press the letters p on right or q on the left these current stylus are too wide on the tip.

True she can hold the keyboard in landscape but so many apps don't allow for this.

Anyone recommend a stylus capacitive type brand that has a pointer tip?

Thx

Jack-the-hat

All that capability and potential, and not enough space to do anything with it. 4G, 8G??? And how much space will the OS take up? I don't understand. It's like they built a Lamborghini with a 6 ounce gas tank.
I know it's quite frustrating! Its a great phone and I like using it but I am beginning to see this as an Apple sales trick. Making us pay for the higher storage capacity is a bit harsh!

kenvil

Knowing Apple, the software will be excellent. How does it interface with a Windows box, that's another matter.

Jack-the-hat

Apple iPhone 5 order backlog only now cleared

I couldnt believe it when I read Apple have only recently just got through their backlog of Phone 5 orders. I knew it was a popular phone but wow. its been out months now! If you have an iPhone 5, how long did you have to wait for it?

Source: Apple Technology

J.Whelan

600 bucks is a months rent. I will def wait for a cheaper model bc i certainly dont just have 600 dollars just lying around.

kornchild2002

I'm not sure what you're asking but Cingular wireless service no longer exists, it was merged with the craptacular at&t wireless 7 years ago and the Cingular name was retired. You wouldn't want to by any iPhone made for Cingular as it would be way too old, slow, and likely won't work at this point.