"the ipod could not be restored" error 1418

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

filidream

I recently received a second hand shuffle that was in new condition, but I am unable to get it to work on my computer. When I connect, Itunes recognizes it and says it may be corrupt and prompts me to restore to default settings. I click the button to restore, it goes through like it's working than pops up an error, stated above? Any help? I have the newest version of itunes and firmware. I'll try on another computer.

franticnomad

HUGE Metallica Fan
Website
www.damonsharp.com
I would reformat the drive by right-clicking its drive letter under my computer (assuming you have a pc), then see if it will restore through iTunes (v7) or via the downloadable updater.

filidream

Thanks for the reply. So far my computer doesn't respond to the format command, but I'll have to be more patient. Could this be a faulty hard drive/ faulty shuffle? Since I did not buy it through apple, or have a warranty on it, would I be able to send it to apple, or am I out of luck?

franticnomad

HUGE Metallica Fan
Website
www.damonsharp.com
try this path...

go to desktop > right click my computer > manage > disk management from the left pane

if your comuter recognizes the shuffle it should show up here in the right pane. if it does, you should be able to format it here by either right click the drive and choosing 'format' or by selecting the drive and choosing:

action (menu) > all tasks > format

if the drive doesn't show up here, try another usb port (one that is directly connected to the pc...i.e. no hub).

let me know what happens, I might know of something else to try. good luck.

it's going to cost you more than it's worth to fix. I would just wait for the 2G shuffle in October to replace it with (if it comes to that).

filidream

It doesn't show up under Disk Management, but it does show up in the Device Manager as Apple iPod USB Device. Still willing to work this out though, but not for long.

franticnomad

HUGE Metallica Fan
Website
www.damonsharp.com
do any of the usb controllers show a red exclamation point near them? even if they don't you might want to just try right clicking on all of them indivdually and choosing "unistall", then restart the computer. do this with the shuffle unplugged.

LukeA

Website
luke.ament.googlepages.com
I got this error when I had my other iPod connected and I tried to restore my shuffle. It worked fine when I disconnected my other iPod. If you don't have other iPods connected, try disconnecting all your drives except for your start-up disk.

g026r

Website
heimdall.shacknet.nu
I'll take a look, but it's easier said than done as iTunes is located on a disk other than my startup disk.

(And though I have multiple iPods, the other wasn't connected at the time.)

chess

I am having the same issue with a 20 gig black and white ipod :( i tried the format and got to 99% and failed :(

planetf1

I suffered from this error for a few weeks. I reflashed and the ipod worked once, then would fail.

Eventually I removed itunes 7, ran a flash restore and installed 6.0.5.20. Since then the iPod Shuffle 1Gb has returned to perfect work0ing order.

Wooooh. iTunes 7.0.1 is Bbad bad bad bad news (for some people). Watch out.

gk17

This might be a long shot, but give this a try:
1)Plug in your iPod and wait for iTunes to tell you an update for it is available
2)Click the Install button on that dialog and keep an eye on your iPod
3)When your iPod screen switches from the flashing "Do Not Disconnect" message to the Main Menu screen, unplug the iPod, wait a couple SECONDS, plug the iPod back in
4)You should notice some slow-down in the progress meter and a new dialog box should come up and tell you your iPod is being updated and to not disconnect it until the update finishes
5)That's it. Wait for the update to finish and iTunes will re-recognize it and show its new up-to-date status.

Santidiablo

Solution for iPod Shuffle 1GB

Hey peeps, here's what worked for me:

Device: iPod Shuffle 1GB
PC: Windows XP sp2, dual monitors, Wacom Intuos2 tablet, custom built tower, Intel P4 3.2ghz, Asus P4S800D-X mobo, GeForce 7300 GT, 2GB Kingston RAM [not the hottest specs, but HEY, I was on a budget]

Problem:
"iPod cannot be synced. Unknown error -48." which lead to "the iPod could not be restored" (error 1418)

1) Updated iTunes to version 7.6.2.9 using Help menu (shouldn't matter whether you use Help menu updater or download from Apple site, also careful you don't install iSafari unless you really want it)

2) Exit iTunes

3) I physically disconnected *ALL* other usb devices from my computer except for Wacom tablet (I have carpal tunnel)

4) Shutdown/Exit all GUI programs you don't need: Yz Toolbar, Yz Dock, Yz Shadow, DisplayFusion, SysMetrix, Rainlendar, BOINC, FreeClip. (I don't know why this matters, but it did) AND set your Windows theme back to the default (don't know if this made a difference, but I was tired of this iPod problem already)

5) (Follow instructions at: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304996)
Open Notepad. Put this into Notepad:
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll

(Each individual line should begin with regsvr32 and end with dll)

Save as "appleipod.bat" and save to your Desktop. Double-click it, wait for a command window to appear and disappear. You can delete the appleipod.bat file after this.

6) Open your updated iTunes, connect iPod Shuffle using a USB port that's actually part of your motherboard, (I then registered and filled out all forms), and Restore your iPod (if it doesn't prompt you automatically, there are 2 tabs near the top, click on Settings>Restore). I restored using "latest" firmware/software available.

7) You might have to reboot, Windows or iTunes might say something about having detected a device in an error state and that it needs to check it, it's okay: let it, it'll restore your iPod Shuffle with latest software. (sorry about lack of clarity at this step, but I was tired)

Notes: Again, this is for a iPod Shuffle 1GB, don't know if it'll work on others but everyone seems to use the same problem resolution. I read many pages/posts/forums, I tried using Windows' Error Checking which never seemed to yield any effective results. This also might be why my computer "detected" the iPod "in an error state". When connecting the iPod to my computer, it didn't restore if I had it connected to one of the convenient USB ports at the front of the case, only worked when I connected it to one of the onboard ports (they're both USB 2.0 connected to mobo pins so I don't know why that mattered). Also, my first attempt to sync at Step 7 failed, but I just let it try again and it worked. I have to say, SERIOUSLY, I didn't expect to spend 6 hours working on this stupid problem and I expected MUCH BETTER results from an Apple device. One thing that may have lead to my frustration was that I first installed the iPod on a laptop, synced some songs, and then installed/synced on a desktop but who knows.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

gian0819

i've done all the steps but didn't worked for me, but i've tried formatting my shuffle in fat32 and it does the job, at least for me

starlyn04

1418 error solution!?!?!

I've been dealing with this issue forever, and tried pretty much all the little tips and stuff out there - but I FOUND A SOLUTION!!! Well, it worked for me at least. I found it posted on another board - worked for them - worked for me - so I hope it works for you!

I was restoring (or trying to) and kept getting the 1418 error. I unplugged my ipod, reset it (by holding down the center and menu buttons), once it reset I plugged it back into my computer, iTunes prompted to restore, I did, and it works!!!

I have no idea why this would work, but I'm sure glad it did. Now I'm syncing my music!! YAY!

Barbuz

Hi to starlyn04.
A short note to say thank you so much: I was experiencing the same problem, with this 1418 error message.
I went to several forums and tried different things but did not find anything that was working.
Although I have to admit your solution did not convince me at first sight, I have tried it and it works!
So thank you again for the tip and kind regards from France.