The Forsyte Saga

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
I have listened to dozens of audiobooks, amounting to hundreds of happy hours, over the past three years. "War and Peace" is still my #1 favorite, but I have a new #2 -- The Forsyte Saga. This is a long book that takes just a bit of time to get into, but the arc of the story is wonderful, tracing an extended British family over three generations at the end of the Victorian age. I hated to have it end.

This book is available from Audible.com, and even though it runs to more than 42 hours, it used up only one book credit. GREAT value!

ingallspod

Stensvaag, thanks for the info! The Forsyte Saga is on my shortlist of books to read--maybe I'll put it on my iPod instead.
I also love Tolstoy. Haven't yet read War and Peace (another on my short list), but Anna Karenina is one of my favorites :)

nrmsmith

I am glad you have found the Forsyte Saga a good listen.

I bought and listened to it last year before visiting London and (as it happened) visiting some of the places in South Kensington and Central London which figure in the book. The language does seem rather old-fashioned and stilted nowadays, and some of the ideas expressed made me cringe a bit, but it is a very accurate picture of late Edwardian & Victorian London society.

All the best
Nigel (UK)