Tell me if the Sixth Generation models play smoothly (without stutter or gap)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

357mag

This pertains to listening to live albums. I just listened to Kiss Alive! and I can hear a fraction of a second stutter or gap between the first song and the second. I have the Fourth Generation version.

Can anyone verify if the Sixth Generation models have corrected this issue?

cjmnews

Staff member
No. Apple never got gapless working. See your other thread on this for more information.

357mag

That's bad news. I have keen ears. In the year 2019 with all the technology we have they can't fix this issue?

cjmnews

Staff member
Not really. There are several challenges to the problem.

1. Does the track have silence at the beginning or the end? If so, it needs to be cut off at playback time if Gapless is enabled AND the two tracks are from the same album. That is a bit more analysis than the iPod software can handle. It sounds simple, but it complicates playback for all tracks. Though you would think that if gapless is not enabled, it could be simplified. This requires at least 2 streams of music at the same time to accomplish, which may be beyond what the software can handle.
  2. If the track does not have silence at the beginning or the end, and this is a random shuffle, the player needs to add silence between tracks to prevent merging two disparate songs. This also requires 2 streams of music.
  3. Track loading time could also be an issue, especially since most of the playback software was written when iPods had hard drives inside them and were slow to load. Especially if the current track was located close to the fast center of the drive and the next track was out on the slower edge of the drive. The change to SSDs should have fixed this issue though.
These are the challenges I can think of, and I don't have any idea what the software is inside these devices.