Technical External Battery Questions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

NJSCAN

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. Just purchased an IPOD 40G and now preparing for a trip to Japan. I???m in the market for an external battery and I have some questions.
??? Belkin seems to be the most popular, but $59.99 for a plastic case that holds 4 ???AA??? cells ??? Give me a break. Basically I see that IPOD runs on 6-12V It???s easy enough to build an external battery with more capacity for far less. Here???s my idea??? Several dealers on EBAY offer 7.4V LiOn batteries at 2.4 AH. Use that battery in a suitable case and connect it with either an USB cable or IEEE 1394 cable. Extra cables are cheap, so you can buy one, cut it to length and make a neat looking package.
??? Here???s my question: Does anyone know of a web site that shows the pinout for the connector that IPOD uses to dock? I???d need to know which wires are used. From reading it appears that there are two connections; one will charge the battery, the other will power IPOD w/o charging the battery.
??? Also explored the Altoid battery design, but it???s too primitive.

In advance, thanks!

Oh, one more question.. Does anyone know of any IPOD accessories that might be available in Japan but not in the US?