Talib Kweli

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PrintNameHere

I hear alot of good stuff from him, and chances have it that he is performing at Ottawa's BluesFest, which I am attending.

Sadly, I have 0 songs from him, and don't touch rap, but since he gets alot of praise, I figure I'll download around 3 of his songs to see what I can expect.

So yeah, recommend me 3 songs?

birdman

My suggestion is to check out Black Star's album. He collabs with Mos Def, and the result is sick. Favourite tracks for me are Respiration, Hater Players and Thieves In The Night.

Hit'EmUp

Black Star - Definition
that my fav one off the black star album, but Mos Def is better than Kweli on that song

mc80

mcmuthaphukkin80
Website
www.myspace.com
I've been into hip-hop since about 1993 and stopped after Biggie's death when everything went downhill thanks to the likes of Puffy and LL, No Limit, etc. I have heard some good Mos Def and some decent Talib but I just can't get through an entire album of songs from either one.

ipban

I hear ya mc80, I really liked those times, but after Eazy-E died of AIDS and his wife took over Ruthless the Bone thugs have also been going more and more mainstream.

iMdB

iMatt
Talib is SICK. I also agree that you should start with the blackstar album, and that Definition is the poppiest song on there, but Talib's newest CD is also amazing. It's called the "beautiful stuggle," and he has this nasty sample from the police's "every little thing she does is magic"

I too stopped listening to hip hop for the most part soon after biggie died...when cash money and no limit blew up, and their copycats exploded all over mainstream radio, I knew hip hop was dead...however...

Hip hop isn't dead, however, it's just in a persistent vegatative state...you have to look pretty hard to find anything of value, but it's there. Talib and Mos are one example, but there's more...there are hidden gems in mainstream hip-hop: Nas, Ludacris, Big Pun...all three of these guys are (or in pun's case, were) making some amazing music...I personally am more into lyrics than beats in hip-hop, and these guys could carry songs acapella if they had to. Nas is the king of the extended metaphor (check out I gave you power, money is my #####, last words), ludacris has taken the throne of freestyle king away from Snoop (check out Vertigo on Nas' new album Street's Disciple and Mouthing off from his first record), and Pun's rhyme flow rivalled anyone's, i mean that one line says it all...dead in the middle of little italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddly...(also check out Banned from TV from Noreaga's first solo album)

My point? If there is one, it is this: don't give up completely on hip-hop...there are still a few good men doing their part.

Holla!

sarthur1

Website
www.mininova.org
Talib Kweil IS great. He is officially rated the 4th greatest rapper of the past 15 years, behind Tupac, Biggie, and Eric B I believe.

As for songs, Black Girl Pain is by far his best song on the Beautiful Struggle, it leads my ipods play count. I also recommend I Try, and The Beautiful Struggle (the song.) It is worth going out and purchasing The Beautiful Struggle (album) by the way.

neb

sarthur1 said:
Talib Kweil IS great. He is officially rated the 4th greatest rapper of the past 15 years, behind Tupac, Biggie, and Eric B I believe.

As for songs, Black Girl Pain is by far his best song on the Beautiful Struggle, it leads my ipods play count. I also recommend I Try, and The Beautiful Struggle (the song.) It is worth going out and purchasing The Beautiful Struggle (album) by the way.
Funnily enough, 'Black Girl Pain' is bay far my least favourite song off that album; I think it's complete garbage.

I'll go with 'I Try' though.

S_Fras

You should take a look at Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek- Reflection Eternal, its a really good album one of my favorite talib album.

iMdB said:
Pun's rhyme flow rivalled anyone's, i mean that one line says it all...dead in the middle of little italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddly...
Have you ever head of Rakim. He easily beats Pun in rhyme flow, listen to one of his songs youll be amazed.

And Ludacris? Top rapper? I have never heard a good ludacris song i dont know how you can compare him to Nas or Pun they are miles ahead of Ludacris/

Some of the top rappers today are in no particular order, Nas, Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Papoose, KRS-One, Kanye West, Common, Beastie Boys, Twista, Talib Kweli, Mos Def

k32m

One song I can't get enough of is "Around My Way" feat. John Legend

mr_oo3

Three good songs:

Get By- Talib
The Blast - Talib
Theieves in the Night - Black Star

MrScarface

S_Fras said:
Some of the top rappers today are in no particular order, Nas, Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Papoose, KRS-One, Kanye West, Common, Beastie Boys, Twista, Talib Kweli, Mos Def
I'm sorry but in no way shape or form is Mike Jones close to one of the top rappers, he just went main stream but he's been out for a while down here (down here being Texas where he's from) all he does is repeat himself. I graduated from high school this year and when I was in 8th grade he was sayin "My album Who is Mike Jones coming soon" and it just now came out. Im sorry but thats not soon to me. Now if yall wanna here a REAL rapper with REAL skills that is 100 times better than mike jones yall need to here some stuff from Chamillionaire (Chamillion for short) He is one of the best rappers around but he's still kinda underground. Some tyte songs by him are "My money gets jealous", "The Other Day" (anybody who likes southern, anybody who likes rap period, should hear that song, one of my favorites) also just about any song of the Mixtape Messiah CD (which was basically a diss CD about Mike Jones and it was 3 discs) really any song my Chamillion is worth listenin to. Once you hear Chamillion rap you'll forget about that Shrek lookin Dike Jones.

Ok but back to the topic Talib Kweli is one of the best MC's around some of my favorite songs by him are "I Try". Get By, Get By (Remix) (its Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Mos Def, and Jay-Z) "Black Girl Pain", "Lonely People" (that songs uses a sample from the beatles), "Good to You"

Now if you listen to Talib Kweli and you like what you hear you might wanna check out some stuff by The Roots their CD "The Tippin Point" was IMO a real good CD the fav. songs off that CD were "Star", "Why", and "Guns are Drawn"

I hope this helped you out a lil bit.

GadgetGuru72

S_Fras said:
Some of the top rappers today are in no particular order ... Mike Jones ...
For someone who is commenting on other people's choices of top rappers, I find it hysterical that you rate Mike Jones as a "top rapper." Are you kidding? Mike Jones' songs have good beats, but the lyrics are laughable.

Here's a summary of EVERY Mike Jones song:

I'm Mike Jones, who, Mike Jones, who, Mike Jones.
I got ice in my grill.
281-330-8004 -- that's my cell phone number, hit me on the low.

Jumble that up in any particular order and repeat. You've got yourself a Mike Jones song.

Have you heard the new Missy Elliott song called "Joy" that features Mike Jones? If you didn't know better, you'd think you were listening to "Back Then."

In short, Mike Jones is a hack and and I predict that next year people will not know the answer to the question: "Who is Mike Jones?"

MrScarface

You left out "My album who is Mike Jones Comin Soon" lol.....me and my homeboys were sayin wuts he gonna say now that his CD came out cuz he literally said that in.......EVERY......SINGLE.......SONG. Guru have you heard any stuff by Chamillion?