Tagging with YADB

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
Hi,

Memory on this is a little sketchy but can id3 databases like yadb mp3 files that weren't ripped with a specific programme.
Cause i ripped a few cd's using eac and LAME a while back that belonged to my sister. Can i still use YADB to tag these files without having the cd on hand?
I'm connecting to the inet using a proxy server so i'm not sure if yadb's not tagging the files when i tell it to is because i need the cd or because it won't work through a proxy...

thankx
apt

ashawley

Website
www.
You can do it through YADB no problem. Highlight the songs, right-click, select Library>Tools>Lookup Track Info from YADB.

It's going off of the file name, so if the files aren't named w/anything descriptive that's probably why you're not having any luck.

Adam

trw7

YADB uses the file name to figure out what the songs are? I thought that was the information that YADB provided to MC9 :confused: . For example, if YADB uses file names to figure out what the track info is, how does it get the information for tracks that have no tag information at all yet - freshly ripped from a CD with just "Track1, Track2, Track3, etc" as their track names? It seems to figure out all this information for me without there being any identifying information on the tracks yet.

Perhaps a little info on exactly how YADB maps the CD tracks to known CDs in its database would be enlightening.:)

rfaison

This would be interesting to know more about ... I'd presumed that YADB got some sort of identifying album info that enabled the tagging when ripping a CD. But, given my really rather complete ignorance of what really happens ... surely someone(s) can bring us up to speed.

ashawley

Website
www.
OK, guys, but we're talking about two different types of lookups:

I was referring to looking up mp3s that have already been ripped. Aptmunich, was asking how to do a search for tags after he ripped them from a CD. Got it?

The CD search is different as you point out. In this case I believe it searches based off of an ID number that is provided from the CD itself. Again, I don't know for sure on this, but I believe I read that before.

I do know that when you search off of mp3s, it's just going off of file name, because that's about all it's got.

**edit** I'm wrong about the file name bit...see below... :confused: Shows you what I know.

Adam

Last edited:

JimH

J. River Media Center
Website
www.jrmediacenter.com
When YADB does a CD lookup it uses some basic data from the CD that include the TOC and track lengths.

When YADB does a track lookup it analyzes the sound of the file, creates a special "hash" and then goes looking for a match. It's more like humming a few bars of a song and asking your friend to name it.

ashawley

Website
www.
Hey, I totally stand corrected. From the CEO nonetheless. :D

Thanks Jim, sorry, I should have been more, er knowledgable. At least I was close on the CD part. :D

Adam

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
Thanks all,
don't worry ashawley - it turns out the tags weren't being done due to my proxy server setup after all...

Problem the pc with the direct connection to the net has no firewire=pain in the a**e!