Syncing media folder to external hard drive

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DJSimonmurray

Hi,

I have an external ITB hard drive connected via USB to my MAC.

It is Formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I have set a 500GB partition purely for Time Machine (To stop it using the whole drive).

The other 500GB is free and I would like to sync with it my “media” folder containing all my music.

Obviously I can simply drag/drop/copy/paste etc as its 250GB in size however that will only capture the folder as it exists at that moment in time.

I was wondering is their a method available, (that is fairly simple to implement) that would parodically sync, copy and update the folder or folders on my mac to the external drive when connected?

This is just a failsafe in the event of music being lost from cloud storage etc, but would appreciate any views on how to achieve the attached with as little pain as possible.

Thank you for your help

Simon.

cjmnews

Staff member
You can use backup software to do that.

I have tried an app called Sync Folders to sync my Macbook air documents folder to my Windows system where I back those files and others to an external hard drive. Sync Folders can be set up to keep a folder like the iTunes folder in sync between the source and destination. If you set it to be manual instead of automatic, then you would have a delayed backup to recover from. The free version does 1 folder and there are lots of options to choose from.

There are probably similar apps that do the same.

DJSimonmurray

I have tried an app called Sync Folders to sync my Macbook air documents folder to my Windows system where I back those files and others to an external hard drive. Sync Folders can be set up to keep a folder like the iTunes folder in sync between the source and destination. If you set it to be manual instead of automatic, then you would have a delayed backup to recover from. The free version does 1 folder and there are lots of options to choose from.

Thank you, very much appreciated!! Simon

DJSimonmurray

Hi,

I downloaded the Sync folders App and its really good and pretty easy to understand. Just one small query i was hoping you may be able to answer as per the screenshot attached.

I have ticked the "Move Deleted Files to Delsyncfiles" with a condition of replacing.

I notice that each of the A and B locations now have a new additional folder "Delsyncfiles" with some of the files placed within them. There are copies of the files in their original source/copied folders also.

Im just curious where these files in the "Delsyncfolders" came from? I have tried reading the explanation from the software website but in honesty i'm struggling to understand it?

Can i simply delete these files from the folders as there is another copy in the source/copied folder of the same name?

Just curious how during the process of syncing certain files were copied/moved to this location and then replaced and why only certain files?

Thanks for any help

Simon

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
The app creates a _DelSyncFiles folder in the source and target folders.

If you delete a file on target A, then the deleted file goes into the _DelSyncFiles folder and is synchronized to target B. And the reverse applies as well in the mode you are working with where the sync is bidirectional. If you If you delete a file on target B, then the deleted file goes into the _DelSyncFiles folder and is synchronized to target A.

You can make it so A->B to prevent changes on B from impacting A.

Inside of that folder is the hierarchy of folders with a copy of the deleted files.
This way you can restore accidentally deleted files.
Or in my case, keep a copy of files that were intentionally deleted and need to be deleted from the _DelSynFiles folder again.

With the replacing option selected, if you were to restore the file, and update it, then delete it again, the newest file would replace the older version of the file.

Hopefully that helps.

DJSimonmurray

The app creates a _DelSyncFiles folder in the source and target folders.

If you delete a file on target A, then the deleted file goes into the _DelSyncFiles folder and is synchronized to target B. And the reverse applies as well in the mode you are working with where the sync is bidirectional. If you If you delete a file on target B, then the deleted file goes into the _DelSyncFiles folder and is synchronized to target A.

You can make it so A->B to prevent changes on B from impacting A.

Inside of that folder is the hierarchy of folders with a copy of the deleted files.
This way you can restore accidentally deleted files.
Or in my case, keep a copy of files that were intentionally deleted and need to be deleted from the _DelSynFiles folder again.

With the replacing option selected, if you were to restore the file, and update it, then delete it again, the newest file would replace the older version of the file.

Hopefully that helps.
Thank you, that makes sense and once again I do appreciate your help.

I’m just curious as the files appeared in these folders after the first initial sync. I didn’t delete any files from either A or B locations. Why did it decide to place certain files in these folders and copies in the original folders?

Best

Simon.

cjmnews

Staff member
I didn't write it, so I can only estimate the design decisions.

My guess is:
  • Manual mode means deletes will not be seen at the time of deletion, only when you run the sync.
  • The files are "pre-deleted" so there is a copy in the deleted files folder before it is deleted.
  • When the file is updated, it gets updated in the deleted folder as well as the real folder.
  • When the file is deleted, the normal delete process occurs since active monitoring is off in manual mode.
  • Active syncing would probably handle the deletion by moving the files to the deleted files folder on the target system.