Sync Playlist Properties

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dfbills

So-

Now that we have scriptable playcount and ratings properties AND cool scripts like "Append iPod Play Count to iTunes Tracks" from John Paul Davis-

Is it becoming possible to create better applescript sync tools for multiple libraries?

I'd love to be able to sync playcounts and ratings between my work machine and home. I could even sync to the iPod at work and back to my computer at home.

Of course I do have an original iPod and the ratings and playcounts are not syncable with iTunes between computers.. I understand that this does work on the newer models.

Any insights on this?

Website
dougscripts.com
You could easily create a script like John's Append... that transfers data from iPod to iTunes and visa versa. His just works with play count, but all tag data can be copied back and forth.

Coupla things, tho': database IDs are unique to tracks on each machine (including iPod), so verifying that two particular tracks are the same requires careful verification. Using name, album, and artist may seem obvious, but what if the tracks you want to sync have different names, albums, and artists, and the whole point of the sync is to make them the same? Size and time may come in to play (both John and I have used size to verify in other scripts) but these aren't 100% either (my sound effects CDs contain dozens of tracks that are 1:04--good luck matching!).

Of course, if your tracks and files are arranged with some kind of predictable regularity you may be able to get something going script-wise yourself. But trying to accommodate all users may be Holy Grail-ish.

I don't want to put any off from trying this, just understand that There's A Lot To Consider.
:)