sync: different file versions?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cwofford

okay:

new to forums and couldn't find any applicable threads in the search archive or on the ephpod help file, so forgive me if this has been covered.

i use ephpod 2.60f to sync my new 15 gig fat32 ipod on win2k. works great.

i recently used mp3gain to normalize the volume on my entire (1700+) collection on my local harddrive. needless to say, took quite a while. so, next time i sync, what will ephpod do? will it update the ipod with the "newer" files on my HD? will it do nothing, assuming both sets of files are the same? will it overwrite my HD with the "older" ipod files?

essentially, my question is: what criteria does ephpod use to sync files with?

bonus Q: if i update an ID3 tag (either on my HD or ipod) how will ephpod behave upon the next sync, concerning the two differing tags?

thanks in advance, and all these forums are a great resource to new ipod users.

Last edited:

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
I know that if you update the song title or the artist it will add a new song to the ipod, however if you update the genre or something it will not add a new song, but will simply update the song's info on the ipod. Very Smart :)

Concering file sizes etc... I have not played with that. If i was to normalize my library I would restore my Ipod and then put the music back on

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
It depends what folders you have told ephpod to sync...

If you just select all files in the song view, and then tell ephpod to adjust their volume, it will adjust the files on the ipod directly...

The sync option will only compare and copy changed/deleted/updated files in specific folders on your PC.

The 'save changes' button seems to only save alterations to id3 tags and update ipods database to include new songs you have added or deleted...

Hope this helps,

apt

huggies

Website
www.dumbplaylists.com
AptMunich said:
The sync option will only compare and copy changed/deleted/updated files in specific folders on your PC.

apt
Ok, so now time for my question...I had been syncing up a bunch of mp3's from a folder, let's say:
c:/foo/mp3s/

I have now changed the naming of my file structure on my pc to something like:

c:/foo/mp3_dir

Now if I set up in ephpod this new folder (with still the same mp3's) as being the sync folder, will it transfer all of these to my ipod again (leaving me with 2 copies of each track)?

I thought not, but with the quote above I'm not sure...

Thanks! (and sorry if the answer is obvious!)
:)