Switching to manual mode setup

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

skruggie

So I'm doing some experimenting in how I am managing my music and videos - due to a complete and total nightmare of my videos accidentaly being consolidated with my music yesterday, I am keeping all my video on a seperate hard drive, and using a different computer with a fresh version of itunes to manually manage them.

While I have no problem with itunes managing my music, I have no desire whatsoever for itunes to manage my videos, and I want to keep the directories comletely seperate from my music library. Checking/unchecking "add to itunes library" has been a diasaster as I have to remember to do that as I switch from music to video when adding to the library, and of course I don't always remember and it's making a mess of my library.

In order to not have to erase and upload 30 gigs of video every day, I am now considering keeping my main computer's setup for the music portion in manual mode as well.

I found some scripts I downloaded so that I can maintain my last played and last skipped rather easily as a workaround - however my question is, if I refresh a smart playlist by dragging and dropping the current version from itunes, and it replaces the iteration of that smart playlist on the ipod, will the songs that are no longer on the current version of that playlist be removed from the ipod, or do I need to physicaly remove them myself?

That seems to be the only thing at this point standing in my way of being able to manage my smart playlist transfers manually. Except of course for the fact that I can't find a script to sync back my ratings while in manual mode, but I can live with that for the time being.

S2_Mac

When you're on manual, removal is up to you. (Dunno what you want to accomplish with your smartlists, but if it's just something like rotating less-played material you can create the smartlist on the iPod, which will only draw from files already on the iPod.)

Have you tried syncing just music? (Music tab when iPod is selected in Source column)

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
To answer your question about manual mode and smart playlists, if you drag a smart playlist from your iTunes library to replace the version on your manually-managed iPod, then these things will happen:

- Songs that no longer match the criteria will drop out of the iPod's smart playlist, but will remain on your iPod.

- Songs that now match the smart playlist will be added to the iPod's smart playlist. If they were not previously on the iPod, they will be added to the iPod.

- If you update a song's tag in iTunes but don't replace the copy that you have on your iPod, and if that song is part of the smart playlist, then iTunes will re-add the song to your iPod and leave the original on your iPod when you drag the playlist to your iPod. This will create a duplicate of the song on your iPod, and both will be in the iPod's smart playlist. When you update a tag, iTunes sees the updated song as a new version and it no longer matches the song that you have on the iPod, so it will simply add it to your iPod even though it is the same song, artist, and album. Note that this duplicates issue is the same for 'regular' playlists too, and it only occurs when you manually manage your iPod's contents.

Last edited:

skruggie

S2_Mac said:
When you're on manual, removal is up to you. (Dunno what you want to accomplish with your smartlists, but if it's just something like rotating less-played material you can create the smartlist on the iPod, which will only draw from files already on the iPod.)

Have you tried syncing just music? (Music tab when iPod is selected in Source column)

This would literally solve all my problems - if I set it to just sync music and not video, will the video on my ipod that I am manually manging on another computer get erased? If not this is absolutely what I would like to do.

skruggie

rockmyplimsoul said:
To answer your question about manual mode and smart playlists, if you drag a smart playlist from your iTunes library to replace the version on your manually-managed iPod, then these things will happen:

- Songs that no longer match the criteria will drop out of the iPod's smart playlist, but will remain on your iPod.

- Songs that now match the smart playlist will be added to the iPod's smart playlist. If they were not previously on the iPod, they will be added to the iPod.

- If you update a song's tag in iTunes but don't replace the copy that you have on your iPod, and if that song is part of the smart playlist, then iTunes will re-add the song to your iPod and leave the original on your iPod when you drag the playlist to your iPod. This will create a duplicate of the song on your iPod, and both will be in the iPod's smart playlist. When you update a tag, iTunes sees the updated song as a new version and it no longer matches the song that you have on the iPod, so it will simply add it to your iPod even though it is the same song, artist, and album. Note that this duplicates issue is the same for 'regular' playlists too, and it only occurs when you manually manage your iPod's contents.
If I was to delete the smart playlist from my ipod, and then add the new version of it from itunes, would that solve the problem, in regards to the freshest versions of the songs with the correct playcounts, tags, etc? or do I physically have to remove the songs from the library on my ipod as well?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
skruggie said:
If I was to delete the smart playlist from my ipod, and then add the new version of it from itunes, would that solve the problem, in regards to the freshest versions of the songs with the correct playcounts, tags, etc? or do I physically have to remove the songs from the library on my ipod as well?
Deleting the playlist from the iPod does not delete any songs, so yes you have to delete the older versions of the song(s) prior to dragging over the playlist that contains the newer version of the song(s).

skruggie

skruggie said:
This would literally solve all my problems - if I set it to just sync music and not video, will the video on my ipod that I am manually manging on another computer get erased? If not this is absolutely what I would like to do.

This did not work - it still erased all the video on my ipod.

So I guess the question is, is there any kind of script that exists that lets my do a "manual sync" of sorts in that I can tell the data to copy back and forth yet keeping my ipod in manual mode, so that I don't need to re-upload my videos every day?

Basically this is what I want to do -

use my very complex smart playlists to add and remove music to my ipod
be able to update my playcounts and last skipped of songs that I listen to during the day, sending that information back to itunes
when data in my itunes library changes, have it not re-upload the same song to my ipod, just because the meta information may be slightly different. I do not want to have duplicate instances of the same song floating all over my ipod.

Basically, I want all the features of syncing without actually syncing and losing all the video that I am keeping in a separate library - I assume I am asking for the impossible?

skruggie

I found this script in doug's applescripts, I wonder if it would do the job?

Introduction

"Synch iPod-iTunes Data" synchronizes select data between your iPod and iTunes. The data that can be synchronized are "Date Last Played", "Play Count", "Rating" and "Comments". The data can be transferred from iPod to iTunes or the reverse, or can be synchronized between the two.

Requirements

iTunes 3.0 or later

iPod

AppleScript

NB. I have tested this only in OS X. It ought to work in Classic after being converted, but I can't guarantee it.

Installation

You can run the script as a freestanding applet or as an iTunes Scripts menu item. If you want to do the latter, put the AppleScript file into your iTunes "Scripts" folder. In Classic OS, this folder should be in the same folder as the iTunes application file, or in the iTunes folder in the Documents folder. In OS X it is in the iTunes folder in your home Library. If the Scripts folder does not already exist, you can create it as you would any other folder; it must be named "Scripts".

Usage

When you first use the application, you will be asked to set preferences for the data transfer, as below:

1. The direction of data transfer (iPod to iTunes, iTunes to iPod, or 2-way synchronization)
2. The data to be transferred between iPod and iTunes (Date Last Played, Play Count, rating, and/or Comments)
3. The iPod and iTunes playlists to be used for data transfer
4. If tracks are selected in one of the designated playlists, you can use either only the selected tracks or all of the playlist's tracks
5. In the event of multiple matching tracks, you can transfer data to only the the first track found that matches or to all matching tracks
6. The application will by default match tracks in the source playlist and the destination by track title, artist, and album; in addition, you can match criteria by track time, size, year, and/or bitrate
7. As the data collection and synchronization processes can be lengthy, you can set the application to provide a progress report at intervals while collecting or synchronizing data (in number of tracks; set to 0 to forego the progress report)
8. Set the date of the last data transfer; to reduce the time spent transferring data, the application will examine only those tracks in the source playlist that have been played since the last update

When all of the selections have been made, data transfer will begin. If you elect to synchronize (rather than perform a one-way transfer), the script will assign the data to tracks in iTunes and iPod as follows:

1. Date Last Played: the most recent date from either iTunes or iPod
2. Play Count: the sum of the play counts from iTunes and iPod
3. Rating: the highest rating assigned in iTunes or iPod
4. Comments: if different, the comments from the destination track will be appended to those of the source track

Your selections will be stored in a text file in your user Preferences folder. After the first use, the script will give you the option of using the selections you had used previously. If you choose any of those selections, they will be highlighted the next time you use the script.

Bugs and Limitations

There is no way to match a track in iPod with the exact track from which it was derived in iTunes. The script collects the iPod or iTunes song's match criteria, and finds tracks in the destination playlist or iPod with matching information; with a large library you may have more than one matching track.

I realize that there are track data other than the ones I have chosen to synchronize that could be used, but I didn't think there would be much use for synchronizing the other data. I am, however, willing to consider requests.

skruggie

Well the answer to the question is that with a music library as large as mine is, this isn't worth the trouble. So I will sync my music on my main computer, and just be very picky about which videos I carry around with me on a daily basis, since those need to be maintained manually.

oh well....:(